I am a BB user who tried to go to the HTC Hero and had ... Android Smartphones forum

tgowin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32CF0B8B

Has the search feature in contacts been fixed yet?

Advertisement

I am a BB user who tried to go to the HTC Hero and had to immediately return it. The problem was the inability to do a search by company or organization? I checked a couple of other Droid phones and found the same to be true with each of them.

So if I had a company I didn't call often and maybe a handful of contacts in the company. A client then asks about a specific service... I say hold on I know a couple names you can call. Then try to look up the company to find the contacts. Couldn't do it.

Has this been fixed in any of the updates? My bb will list all contacts matching anything I type and eliminate contacts the more specific I get. This feature is huge for me in the business world.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I use this (remote contacts search) on iPhone and its also available on Android. However, only PUSH supported email accounts like Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc. That's of course if you are even referring to "remote" searching of contacts which is also not a default feature on BlackBerry but requires BES (Blackberry enterprise server).

However, if you refer to local searching of phone contacts, to my knowledge this is something available on Android as per your description "list all contacts matching anything [first few letters] I type and eliminate contacts the more specific [you] get".

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    This still seems too be an issue. I added a company name to a contact, did a search and it found it. I added that same company name too a second contact and it only found the second one, but not the other. Then I went back to contact 1 and verified the info was there, searched again and out came up with no results. Obviously there is a bug, this test was done on my motorola Droid running OS 2.0.1
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Thanks Sam. I hope this has been reported by Android onwers. It does not sound like a complicated bug to resolve. Local contact search by typing first few letters is pretty much a standard feature on all platforms.

It searches very well by first or last name, but not by a company name entered in the organization field. I will have to research and see if this is a reported issue.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

PIN/ID
    32CF0B8B
    I brought it up with the HTC office in Redmond, WA only to be told it's a social media phone not a business phone... Why can't we have both worlds? I would consider swithching if that issue was resolved. But as I am asked for referals to various service providers it's a must have.

AZSTAR - I found the same to be true with the Hero... Works fine if that's who you are trying to find! If not your in trouble!!

I'll let you know if I dig up anything official on Google's Android discussions, they are wanting in on the business market for Android regardless of HTC having their focus on the social side. If I find an official thread on this I will link it here so you can star the issue and comment as well. The more complaints they get, the more attention, then maybe the faster it will get fixed.
    Twitter? My Apps List

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Theres an app for that.

Contact search+
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

Shouldn't need a 3rd party app for that, but at least its cheap, only 99 cents
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I get the same thing. List them sometimes.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
    Last edited by BHP77; 02-04-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: tried a couple pf times and got differant results.

PIN/ID
    32CF0B8B
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I'll let you know if I dig up anything official on Google's Android discussions, they are wanting in on the business market for Android regardless of HTC having their focus on the social side.
    Have you head anything about a solution to this problem? Really interested in the EVO when it finally comes out... but only if I can use it as a workhorse.

Searching contacts by company name now works on my Droid running 2.1
    Twitter? My Apps List