I have been using Handcent SMS. Now I'm looking for a way to either disable ... Android Smartphones forum

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3

Handcent SMS question

Advertisement

I have been using Handcent SMS. Now I'm looking for a way to either disable the stock messaging app or remove it. I don't want notifications from the stock app when I've already opened the message via Handcent. I've tried turning off notifications in settings but even though I'll open the messages with the stock app, it will only let me open the actual "new message" with Handcent.

Does this make sense, and anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I'm just reading about this free app now. I will add to the download section. I've never used sorry.

Hayden, thanks for the reply. I actually think I've answered my own question. The stock application's notification icon disappears after you receive more text messages. I dont know if anybody else have had happen, but all you do is just disable the notification in the stock messaging app. It takes care of itself.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by green_light View Post
    Hayden, thanks for the reply. I actually think I've answered my own question. The stock application's notification icon disappears after you receive more text messages. I dont know if anybody else have had happen, but all you do is just disable the notification in the stock messaging app. It takes care of itself.
    Yep, or you can root your device, and remove the stock sms app altogether.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

I'm still a noob at Android...to be honest I'm pretty nervous about turning my phone into a paper weight if something goes wrong...

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Lol, very very rarely does it go wrong. Personally i would do just like you are and familiarize your self with android first and do some reading on rooting in the process so you fully understand what you are doing. Rooting opens up your device so you can do everything that is possible but until you understand what and how it works you are going to need a tutorial for everything. Wait a few weeks, learn the system and then root. As always the family will be here to help.

BHP you are a lot of help. Thanks a lot.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    No problem green_light. More than happy to assist.

I've heard rooting is basically an experimental build..is this correct? what happens if you have issues with it, and need to wipe your phone, or reinstall or whatnot. Yeah I'm going to need a step by step manual when I do decide to root...I was this way when I used to upgrade my BB too lol

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Rooting in short allows you to have access to the root of your device. This being the kernel. Now most of the things you do will be on a level above the kernel but you have access to it. You can change it, mod it among others. Mainly you will just be installing apps and roms until you get used to how linux works then you may want to go further with it. You can have a rooted device and run exactly what you have now and not change anything but the option is there. Rooting doesn't void your warranty, unlocking the boot loader does. You have to unlock the boot loader to root so you might as well say it's one in the same. So, to sum it up. with root access you can do whatever you want and if you get into it heavy sometimes things you don't. I would wait and make sure you don't have any reason to return it before you go ahead with that process. Most of the time of it's a hardware issue for the return HTC will turn a blind eye to the fact that the boot loader is unlocked and repair it under warranty.

That cleared a lot of things up, thanks BHP77....I don't need to worry about a warranty now that I think about it. I bought it from another Stacker here..I just need to worry about the fact that its a very expensive phone..

edit: Also I need to rant about Android in general. My office is in the center of a building which doesn't have great cell reception to begin with. But my office plays with my mind. Lately I have been keeping my phone on the mousepad on my desk. 4 bars of cell reception isn't uncommon there. If I move it a foot in any direction, I get 1, 2 bars, maybe nothing. When I pick it up to actually type out a message, reception plummets and I have to set the phone down again in order to get reception back...then send the message. Sending a message while not registered on a network is an incredible headache. There is no "resend message" option, but there should be. Instead of hitting "resend", I have to copy the message's text, paste it, then delete the message that failed to send. This seems like a chore when a couple added options to SMS could make it easier.
    Last edited by green_light; 05-12-2010 at 05:21 PM.