Good morning all! I began using my GPS this weekend in earnest, but have become ... Android Smartphones forum

VandalDuck no está en línea Stack level 2

GPS Issue on my Droid

Advertisement

Good morning all! I began using my GPS this weekend in earnest, but have become a little frustrated with it. Every now and then, the phone cannot "lock in" a signal. In order to get it to lock in, I have to turn the phone completely off, then try again....sometimes this works....sometimes I have to reboot a second time and then it works.

I use the Power Control Widget to turn off and on the GPS and thought it might have something to do with that...so I got it to lock in yesterday and did not turn off the GPS. All day yesterday...it worked, but this morning, it could not lock in. I had to turn off the phone twice to get it back on. So I am assuming the Widget is not the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for any replies!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Hmm, I have used the GPS quite a bit but have never had issues with getting a lock. But I live in the Phoenix valley, all wide open spaces with no tree cover to interfere. Even indoors I get a great lock and google maps finds my exact location every time. It has been much more reliable than my BB curve GPS ever was.

Some 3rd party apps don't get my location quite right though, like weather apps sometimes put me in the neighboring town...but I have had zero trouble with google maps.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

I was really frustrated on Saturday, when my wife and I were driving through the farmland of Iowa...wide open...and I could not get a lock with basic Google Maps, nor Google Navigator.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Did you have good 3G coverage at the time?
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us; Droid Build/ESD20) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

As far as I know I did. The 3G logo was at the top of the screen, and I was able to surf around the web without any issues.

When I noticed it this morning, I was outside my house, which is in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN...well within 3G range.

I am going to start to mentally document when the unit does not "lock in" and see if there are any consistancies...such as apps being used between working and not working.