Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

But ATT and TMO have different 3g MHz bands. How is that going to work? ... Android Smartphones forum

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator

Advertisement

But ATT and TMO have different 3g MHz bands. How is that going to work? Will they implement both into the phone?

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    But ATT and TMO have different 3g MHz bands. How is that going to work? Will they implement both into the phone?

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    You are 100% correct. T-Mobile is limited to USA only, AT&T offers world phones.

The Nexus One is purposely built to provide the following:

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 (For: AT&T, and Worldwide GSM)

HSDPA 1700 / 2100 / 900 (For: T-Mobile unique to their limited USA only network)

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    I wish they would release pricing for these already!
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    My guess is, 2 year contact 199.99, no contract ridiculous price!
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    But as I understood, you will be buying the phone directly from Google, so how will they be lowering the price with a 2 year contract?

aergern no está en línea Stack level 3
    WIND in Canada just launched and use TMO USA's 3G MHz band as well. Maybe a Euro carrier will as well in the future.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    My guess is, 2 year contact 199.99, no contract ridiculous price!
    With all due respect, It's your GUESS regarding a ridiculous price that is questionable.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending Google, but I do know one thing, if past practice is any indicator, those who buy unlocked Nexus One phones directly, will be paying a very competitive price. Google has tons of cash and resources, a very intelligent marketing plan prepared and knows that if they ask a high price the phone will sit and collect dust on their shelves.

My GUESS is that they will sell briskly at a very competitive price.

Google has not put all this time and money into this project, to fail.

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    Not True.

The Nexus One operates on 3G, as it's standard network speed.

Both AT&T & T-Mobile Nexus One Models are the same. They all run on 3G.

AT&T offers edge only as a secondary speed for those out in far reaching areas with no 3G coverage.

I have continued to hear T-Mobile will be the provider and will run this phone on 3g. It will be available unlocked and run on ATT's EDGE.

riffman no está en línea Stack Professional

Price for Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    But as I understood, you will be buying the phone directly from Google, so how will they be lowering the price with a 2 year contract?
    Deb- I have read several summaries of quotes from all different sorts of market and finance "experts", and the general consensus is that it will be $199-$249 regardless, and that Google will even be subsidizing the cost with a customer $50 rebate. This is because, ( again- according to these "experts") that although they will lose on the phone initially, the carriers will be kicking back some cash from the newly gained two year obligations- which is, of course, where the carriers make their money anyway. Hardware has such a small profit margin to begin with that the powers that be ( Att, Tmo) have known they re-coup their money in the long haul, i.e., monthly fees. The Word is that Google will recoup their money because of all the Google services these newly surfaced customers will be using. More services used by more people ( gtalk, maps, igoogle, etc.) equates to more sponsorship money.- Chris
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    " I do many things well- none of which generate income"
    - riffman

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Yep. That's where they make the money. Everytime you pay your bill the store gets some, carrier gets some, device maker gets some and so on... in my case I get paid to pay my bill. And from what I'm seeing it's only working on tmobiles 3G. I happy about that because the crapthat AT&T has done in the last few months is just sad and makes me want to go to verizon. Luckily I have tmobile account also so I like the fact that they are giving the 3G on tmobile and punishing AT&T for there ways. Plus I think google is looking towards the future and if you look at recent serveys tmobile is right behind verizon is customer satifaction. There going to be big in a few years and there putting in the work to make it work. Low plan rates, decent customer service and a decent coverage right now. There building while AT&T wants to scale back data useage. You see why all the photos and videos have it running on tmobile now. Googles aim is at the iPhone, tmobiles aim is at AT&T and verizon.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16

The biggest challenge for T-Mobile (and I'm a customer) is their lack of infrastructure. This is why they are always looking for cash to allow them to do the build-out they need. They have great customers service based on my opinion, and yet so do most small companies without the heavy work load that comes with a huge customer base. I wish T-Mobile the best, and yet they have such a long way to go, to become truly competitive that it's not looking good for them.

The concept of AT&T cutting back on data usage (I'm also a customer) is largely a myth that is tied to the iPhone. Yes it's all over the press, but that is their job, as nothing is more gripping than bad news, and the threat of rising prices. The reason it's tied to the iPhone is that is the one device with a very nice display that handles streaming media of all types better than any other smartphone. So for those users, with nothing but time on their hands, they are burning up a lot of data usage by watching streaming videos and the like. Thus it's only that 3% (AT&T's figures) that are likely to get a warning, before their individual rates go up.

At the end of the day, AT&T is far too large, and far too experienced in the realm of smartphones to actually try to limit users data usage. After all, the raw fact is that no single carrier in the World sells more BlackBerry's than AT&T, a fact that has stood for several years.

It's not all gloom and doom as the AT&T detractors would have you believe, and I'm certainly not advocating for AT&T, but rather sharing some thoughts about my personal experiences as a long time customer of three carriers. AT&T, T-Mobile, & Verizon.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here are some nice images of the phone posted today.

Link

Lookin Goooooood

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Yep. That's where they make the money. Everytime you pay your bill the store gets some, carrier gets some, device maker gets some and so on... in my case I get paid to pay my bill. And from what I'm seeing it's only working on tmobiles 3G. I happy about that because the crapthat AT&T has done in the last few months is just sad and makes me want to go to verizon. Luckily I have tmobile account also so I like the fact that they are giving the 3G on tmobile and punishing AT&T for there ways. Plus I think google is looking towards the future and if you look at recent serveys tmobile is right behind verizon is customer satifaction. There going to be big in a few years and there putting in the work to make it work. Low plan rates, decent customer service and a decent coverage right now. There building while AT&T wants to scale back data useage. You see why all the photos and videos have it running on tmobile now. Googles aim is at the iPhone, tmobiles aim is at AT&T and verizon.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16
    I've seen the same photos and reports. Coupled with the latest FCC Testing of the device, I'm only seeing this running 3G on T-Mo. I've been with T-Mo for 5 yrs now and they've been nothing but stellar. Great customer service, great call quality, UMA and free tethering along with lesser expensive plans on a clutter-free 3G network make this a great selling point. While AT&T grabs every phone available, they've been pegged as last in call quality once again, this time by Consumer Reports. Why get every handset on the market without the network to support such?? "More bars in more places" advertising juggernaut is garbage. Read the fine print which states, "based on international coverage."

I would tend to agree, this appears to be geared towards the iPhone and theoretically with all of the connectivity issues related to the iPhone running on AT&T, why would Nexus One jeopardize data integrity with such a sketchy network?? The whole restricting data use is just plain lazy. They've had over 2yrs to upgrade their cell towers since the iPhone was introduced. Bolster your your infrastructure, lay off the advertising and drop all the frivolous lawsuits. They've even gone as far as to block certain iPhones apps because of the large amounts of data use. That's just nonsense. No wonder the lawsuits keep rolling in. As these problems persist, I can't see Google investing any time in a network who's philosophy is to entice users to limit the way they use data. Lest we forget the AT&T and Google Voice tiff than ran amuck last August. Google IS the elephant in the room that doesn't forget.
    Last edited by drew4flt72; 12-22-2009 at 07:46 PM.
    Nokia N900 32GB [Unlocked]
    ----------------------------------------
    Version: [PR 1.3] 20.2010.36-2

Flash Memory: A-Data 16GB SDHC CL6-Turbo
    Overclocked @1Ghz

crackaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    I wonder what the price will be?

crackaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    Never mind I found it.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast