Do you read the change log if posted or user comments in the market when ... Android Smartphones forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Do You Look/Read Before You Update Market Apps?

Advertisement

Do you read the change log if posted or user comments in the market when your apps get updated in the Market? If not, you should, and you should do back-ups.

I have had two apps that have had major changes that were forced on the Dev for one reason or another. HTC did not like how the Beautiful Widgets home widget copied their Clock/Weather widget in Sense so the dev was forced to change it. It was butt ugly when first changed but so many users updated without reading the warning. This caused ridiculous numbers of bad comments....but the dev had no choice and did post a warning saying don't update if you want to keep the current look.

Now today, another popular app has had an update with a big change. The Dolphin Browser has had to remove the YouTube Downloaded as Google has said it is a violation of the TOS. So if the ability to download the YouTube videos is important to you, don't update!

Also, invest the time in backups! There are many apps that allow you to backup your apps like Astro or Titanium.

So three things to protect your apps:

1) Do routine backups of your apps and save a copy to your PC or laptop, you never know when you may need them.
    2) Read the change log, the devs usually post major changes and bug fixes in the app description.
    3) Read market comments, this will help you see possible new bugs or negative changes that may make you want to hold off on an update.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Excellent tips! I practice all 3. I read the comments about the Dolphin HD update and didn't do it. Taking the youtube downlaoder would be a huge blow for me. I wonder if they will take it from Xscope as well.
    Another update I held off on today was SetCPU. Market comments say its making the phone run hot and draining the battery terribly.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

My old backups of Beautiful Widgets get used all the time, once in a while I decide to try the newer versions, see if there is a new skin I like, but I always return to the original I will do the same with Dolphin, save the current .apk on my SD card. I rarely want to DL youtube videos so I will probably update Dolphin at some point. But I will know that the ability to DL is resting comfortably in a folder until I need it!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Good advice for anything we eagerly accept and download.I make it a habit of first reading the pros and cons of any update, and I usually am dying to improve the apps that I have. Some of them, even on BB, aren't really worth the trouble if it will affect the functions of whatever smartphone you have. In this case thank goodness for backups - at least weekly.
    Thanks AZ. We always need to be reminded !

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    am i the only one who just feels they have to get rid of the "update available" signal on their downloads list? i hate seeing it.. so i update despite doing the 3 checks..
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

Haha no, I find the update reminders comforting. They let me know I didn't accidentally update and that I still have my preferred version
    Twitter? My Apps List

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6
    Awesome tips. I will never update without looking at the change log first.