Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

So, where to start. First, good to see you all again. Yes, even you Jay.LOL. ... Android Smartphones forum

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA

DNA or S4?? Opinions

Advertisement

So, where to start. First, good to see you all again. Yes, even you Jay.LOL. Second, seems a lot has changed since I've been away. Stopped by this afternoon to get the latest on Androids. I know this place and its folks(Jay and Del) know a lot. I knew there'd have a sold opinion on what I'm about to say next.

Im SIRIoisly looking at the S4 as my next phone. Today I went by BestBuy for the second time in a week just to look and play with the new tech. I'm am very impressed by what's available. I've kept up with tech with each new device. Bought an S3 and sold it. Just wasn't for me. The Note2 has really impressed me. It's just a bit big for what I want in a pocketable device. Having out my hands on the S4, I have to say, I am mighty impressed. I've had maybe a total of 1 hour with it. And yes, there are some gimmicks. Over all, I find myself leaning to this one. Even as WWDC approaches.

What I'm after here, is to here the options about it vs the DNA. Both seem great but Samsung seems to have followed Apples model and done an outstanding job of creating an ecosystem bass around it. Where the DNA doesn't seem to have that.

I would love to here the opinions. Good and the bad. As its best to know.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    hey BHP welcome back, you were gone for a while. if memory serves me corectly were you not a hardcore iphone fan ?

to answer your question definitley S4 but i recomend you pick up both and see witch one you like best. as a smartphone is a very personal choice though if you thinking of htc then perhaps try out the htc one.

greate to have you back though (fourums have been a little quiet)
    Last edited by KTW; 05-01-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hi BHP. Its been a while. I'll be glad to hear your take on the S4. Don't keep us waiting.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by KTW View Post
    hey BHP welcome back, you were gone for a while. if memory serves me corectly were you not a hardcore iphone fan ?

to answer your question definitley S4 but i recomend you pick up both and see witch one you like best. as a smartphone is a very personal choice though if you thinking of htc then perhaps try out the htc one.

greate to have you back though (fourums have been a little quiet)
    I'm on Verizon, so HTC one for me. Although I have played with a friends and I really like the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    Hi BHP. Its been a while. I'll be glad to hear your take on the S4. Don't keep us waiting.
    Well, I'm having to wait till the end of this month due to the Verizon thing(they launch then). Hey Del, did you get your hands on one? If so, what did you like and not like.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm on mobile now so posing a URL is time consuming. Hit the Articles header and go back two or three pages or do and you'll see my What I Say for the S4. Further back, the HTC One and the z10 in February I think.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    I'm on mobile now so posing a URL is time consuming. Hit the Articles header and go back two or three pages or do and you'll see my What I Say for the S4. Further back, the HTC One and the z10 in February I think.
    http://forums.pinstack.com/content/9...laxy_s_iv.html

Thanks. I found it. Saved it here so I could get back to it a little later.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome back, Brendon....I think.

I've not had my hands on one, but from what Del has reported, sounds as though the S4 is not that far removed from the S3, so if you weren't happy with the S3, what makes you think you'd be satisfied with an S4? I guess you said you've had about an hour's worth of hands-on with it, so you'd know better than most of us who've not touched one.

If you're into rooting, etc, you'll find out that the experience with HTC devices is a pain vs. Samsung devices, so in that regard the choice is clear.

I'm on an SIII myself, by the way.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Unles you root an S4 with a ROM that carries all the features of the original Sammy software, the whole purpose of having a S4 is defeated. Period.
    The phone is the best available now regarding hardware. But the emphasis is on the apps developed for it. You do away with that and the S4 looses its edge.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Welcome back.
    Can't say I have a solid opinion on this one. I am not a fan of anything HTC, but I wonder if you'd like the S4 if you didn't like the S3.

^^^ That's what I said, Jay. But maybe it's different enough to warrant the purchase.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Welcome back.
    Can't say I have a solid opinion on this one. I am not a fan of anything HTC, but I wonder if you'd like the S4 if you didn't like the S3.
    Thanks Jay. I haven't had enough time with the DNA to really get a solid opinion on it. W have a Samsung store inside our BestBuy and I must say. They have done a great job with it. The salesman(Bob) was more than helpful. Actually closed down BestBuy last night playing with it. I'm going back this weekend, he's going to let me borrow one for a few hours so I can really get a good test drive.
    I didn't dislike the the S3, just wasn't for me at that time. I really wasn't ready to switch at that time. It was more, just playing with what's new than anything else.

Unles you root an S4 with a ROM that carries all the features of the original Sammy software, the whole purpose of having a S4 is defeated. Period.
    The phone is the best available now regarding hardware. But the emphasis is on the apps developed for it. You do away with that and the S4 looses its edge.
    I have to read your article to get a better grasp on what this means. I will do a little latter today when I'm not as busy.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    ^^^ That's what I said, Jay. But maybe it's different enough to warrant the purchase.
    For me, it's looking at the overall. The whole system they've built around it. at the S3 launch, I don't think it was as complete as it is now. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

So how do you guys like the S3? What don't you like about it also.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Keep in mind the S3 will be getting some S4 features. Carrier permitting.

Ugh, now you're making me want an S4. lol

The niggling little things for me with the S3 are the cheap plastic back cover, which is actually a moot point since I know have the Seidio extended battery and cover, with a Seidio case on top of that. Another is the screen sucks in sunlight, which Del says is a little better on the S4, but still not so good. Overall, though, I've been really happy with the device.

I'm gonna try and hold out to see what the Note III is like, and what Apple comes up with later this year. Keyword "try."

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Keep in mind the S3 will be getting some S4 features. Carrier permitting.
    Good point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast