Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PapaMag

If I were to install a custom ROM on my Note 3, does that wipe ... Android Smartphones forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Custom ROM question....

Advertisement

If I were to install a custom ROM on my Note 3, does that wipe the contents of the device?

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I use TWRP Recovery and when I do a fresh install I use Wipe which wipes Data, Cache, and Dalvik (not including internal storage) most Devs will tell you to never wipe the system. Not sure if this helps answer your question

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    I use TWRP Recovery and when I do a fresh install I use Wipe which wipes Data, Cache, and Dalvik (not including internal storage) most Devs will tell you to never wipe the system. Not sure if this helps answer your question
    Okay, so it sounds like it give you an option of what you can wipe. So when you say data, does that include contacts, calendars, etc? I know those are easily recoverable.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    No this information is retained, at least for me using Gmail, and Pure Calendar, along with Contacts. The only thing I lose is my notes from colorNote, which I'm sure I could backup if so desired
    RogerG likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Installing TW --> wipe davlik/cache
    On TW to AOSP ---> wipe system + davlik & cache
    AOSP to AOSP same as TW to TW
    AOSP to TW same as TW to AOSP

Knox is a bitch and can hose the TW to TW if you're reverting to an older version/ota

#1, the very first thing you do once you install a recovery....THE FIRST THING, make a backup of your stock set up.

Copy that to a computer. Copy it to the cloud.

Always read the OP. Always read the last 2-3 pages of the Roms thread (get a good idea if current build has any bugs.

If TWRP version allows, back up EFS partition. Copy that multiple places. There are also apps that will do it.

Always download a stock unrooted just in case. With Samsung this will be a .tar file flashable with Odin.
    If you have that and can boot to download mode, then you can save a brick.

NEVER, EVER flash a ROM/kernel meant for the international version of your Samsung unless that is indeed what you have. If you don't know, don't flash it. I can't stress that enough. Makes a hard brick that requires JTAG or warranty replacement.

There more but I'm drawing a blank.

And most of that looks like Greek. lol