Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jfcooley

Have spent a week with my new Galaxy s3 (verizon) and am not loving it...yet. ... Android Smartphones forum

lovin2act no está en línea Stack level 4

Coming from Blackberry, should I root my S3 on Verizon?

Advertisement

Have spent a week with my new Galaxy s3 (verizon) and am not loving it...yet. I know I need to give it some time and I have no choice but to do that so no worries there ha! Anyhow...I am kinda baffled that there is no way to backup up this phone like there was with my berry. Kinda strange. Battery life has been fairly poor the last couple of days as well. I have seen and heard that perhaps rooting the phone will help in these areas? Do we have anyone in here who can help a newb in doing this if indeed I should do it to make my phone better? And will I be able to get the upgrade to Jelly Bean if I go through with doing a root? If any Android pro's are in here who have time to kinda walk me through all of this I would be most stoked I am so new to this right now and nothing is making much sense, I dont want to risk messing up my phone either of course. But I have a feeling I am missing out of the true joys of Android though and want in the cool club
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, some1 said 2 thmslvs "U knw, I really want 2 set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close engh to get the job done".

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.46.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/19.0.1084.60 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Jay will most likely help you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.46.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/19.0.1084.60 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Jay will most likely help you soon!

Yay for Jay
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, some1 said 2 thmslvs "U knw, I really want 2 set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close engh to get the job done".

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Have to look into it, gimme a few minutes. Would have replied earlier but been busy with work.
    Cap may have a bit better info, he has one, although it's on AT&T.

Battery life is affected by so much on devices now. Here are a few basic tips.
    1. Wifi OFF if not using. It constantly scans for a signal. If none are found it stops then starts scanning again. Rooting does help this a little in that some ROM developers will alter the scan interval.

2. Syncing. Sync what you need. If you have a weather widget syncing every 30 mins, or less (I prefer manual) then that will drain. Unless you are in Tornado Alley then I think you'll do just fine by manual. I have only my contacts, gmail, and calendar syncing.

3. If you are using the official Facebook app, ditch it. It's notorious for eating battery. This goes for some other apps as well. Poorly coded apps can eat a battery alive by causing wakelocks. Wakelocks prevent your device from entering deep sleep when not in use.
    BetterBattery Stats on the Play store is a great app for determining what is eating a battery. It's a paid app, but worth it as a diagnostic tool. The developer is very active with it, and it's worth every penny.

4. Screen brightness. It's all great to see that pretty AMOLED shine, but to have it blazing in a dark room isn't all that useful. I set my brightness kinda low, and have a quick toggle to turn auto on when outside.

5. Widgets. They're pretty, they can be helpful, but some are just hungry for battery. This goes in hand with the syncing. Unless you are a news junkie, kill the widgets that are updating constantly.

6. It's a new phone. Everyone get's horrible life with a new phone. The No.1 reason is it's....NEW. You're constantly playing with your new toy, that eats battery. This is the hardest to overcome....who wants to put down a new toy?

Will get back to you on the root. I think it would be fun, but if you're new to Android, rooting isn't always the way to go. I'd recommend reading, reading, reading and maybe a little more reading just to be safe. Start and XDA, and any other reputable Android forum you come across. XDA isn't always newb friendly. Search hard before posting a question.

Learn what root is, what a bootloader is, what a ROM is, what a Nandroid is, what ADB and Fastboot are. I still struggle with ADB, fastboot is a little better. Since you have a Samsung device get ODIN as well. If you need it I can upload, but it's not hard to find and not very big. ODIN will save your bacon if you hose an install, and can at least get into download mode. More on that if needed later.

Have fun, hit me (or anyone) up here if you have questions, and welcome to Android.

double post.....bah. Useful in that I forgot to address the backup questions. Sorry, not much coffee this morning.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result
    Verizons backup deal. Seems to only do media and docs, but could be useful. I prefer dropbox, sugersync, box etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dW1CYWNrdXAiXQ..
    Titanium Backup. The MacDaddy of all backup apps. My first purchase after rooting. Once Rooted, this will create a folder on your SD card and backup everything, or nearly everything. Recently added backups of bookmarks etc. This file can be moved to the pc for safe storage, but I rarely do. Also supports cloud backup. Downside is root is needed. It will also allow you to nuke bloatware. You gotta be careful though, deleting all willynilly will get you in hot water. That's where a Nandroid comes in, but again, gotta root for that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JhY2t1cFBybyJd
    Similar to Titanium, but root isn't required. Haven't used it, but I've heard good things. Not knocking the dev or the app, but if you go root, then go Titanium.

The other option is just copy your SD card contents occasionally to your computer. Unless you have a flaky card, you really don't need to back up apps or data. Everything you buy from the Store is saved online as a link under "My Apps" (open play, menu, my apps), it actually saves links to everything you install, free or paid, kept or discarded. Get's very long after a few years.

Your Gmail emails are saved online, so no reason to back them up. Same goes for all your contacts as well as your calendar. Just sync them once in awhile (or have them auto sync). Settings/Accounts/Google Accounts.

Pictures are in a folder on your sd, prob called DCIM. If you have a DropBox account the app will auto upload any pics you take. If you have...uhm....risky photo habits....you may want to turn this off.

IF you root, then the last option (and one that is useful) is a Nandroid. A Nandroid is basically a low level backup done through recovery of your device EXACTLY how it is at that time, apps, data, the whole 9 yards. Does not save the SD card contents, but it saves on the SD card.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 07-24-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Not editing again, headache.
    Just glanced at the Verizon SGS3 forums at XDA. Verizon has locked the bootloader on their S3. Pain in the butt, but not impossible to root. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1771398

I HIGHLY recommend reading anything and everything first. I don't know your tech skill, so I don't mean to insult at all, but there is always a possibility of bricking. Bricking sucks. Panic, confusion, more panic, loss of sleep, a lot like hitting puberty, but in a far shorter time span.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!!

As far as the facebook app goes, what do you think would be best to take it's place? Just use the mobile site? My wife and I are pretty addicted to reading status updates throughout the day ha! And when I do go on the mobile site right now, it looks exactly the same as my facebook app does which is really weird.

Also the ODIN item you mentioned, what is that exactly? I have seen that mentioned a few times and I thought it was the name of the rooting tool or something. Maybe I am mistaken though?

The syncing thing with google has got me frustrated as far as my contacts go. I made the mistake of splintering them with 3 email accounts one day and now I have not been able to undo that and just have it all in one place. So I get a bunch of duplicates and I hate it! The verizon backup is the only one that seems to keep my list right. So for now I rely on that unfortunately until I can figure out how to fix my google contact list situation. Oh well.

The part about getting rid of bloatware and if I delete too much it could get me in hot water.....who would I be in hot water with? My carrier? Or are you just saying it could mess up my phone if I delete too much stuffs? Just want to clarify

My tech skills are not high, I was good at updating leaked OS's on my blackberry and things like that, but nothing major or all that skillful. And like you say I dont want to risk bricking my phone here. There is so much info to read that it gets quite confusing of where to start first. One day at a time I guess! Thats how I learned on the berry's so I am sure eventually I will get there on this.

Again thank you so much for taking the time to help me in getting my feet wet with all of this! You rock sir!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!!

As far as the facebook app goes, what do you think would be best to take it's place? Just use the mobile site? My wife and I are pretty addicted to reading status updates throughout the day ha! And when I do go on the mobile site right now, it looks exactly the same as my facebook app does which is really weird.

I recommend using the mobile site. Basically the same thing without the battery hogging issues. There are other apps on the Play Store, none of which I’ve used so I can’t recommend any

Also the ODIN item you mentioned, what is that exactly? I have seen that mentioned a few times and I thought it was the name of the rooting tool or something. Maybe I am mistaken though?

[B]Odin is a tool used to flash .tar files directly to the phone. Useful for getting back to stock, flashing modems (radios) or flashing a kernel when all else fails. Samsungs are hard to brick, Odin almost always being available if you can get into download mode and get your PC to recognize. There’s a different utility for Macs, think it’s called Hemdal (or something along that line) that does the same thing. You have to be careful with Odin to some degree, making sure you have a good understanding of how it works. There are numerous tutorials out there, so I will skip it. I looked briefly at the root procedures for your device and it seems Odin is useful. I would also recommend “Mobile Odin Pro” from the market. Once rooted you can basically use Odin from within Android, skipping the need for a PC. I used it often with my S2, found it invaluable. [B/]

The syncing thing with google has got me frustrated as far as my contacts go. I made the mistake of splintering them with 3 email accounts one day and now I have not been able to undo that and just have it all in one place. So I get a bunch of duplicates and I hate it! The verizon backup is the only one that seems to keep my list right. So for now I rely on that unfortunately until I can figure out how to fix my google contact list situation. Oh well.

I haven’t had this problem, but I’ll offer a solution off the top of my head. Log into your Google account and go to Gmail. From there you can manage your contacts. I would guess deleting them from Gmail, then from the phone and syncing would even it out.

The part about getting rid of bloatware and if I delete too much it could get me in hot water.....who would I be in hot water with? My carrier? Or are you just saying it could mess up my phone if I delete too much stuffs? Just want to clarify

Bloatware in and of itself won’t do any harm, and I meant deleting system apps by mistake could screw up your ROM, making things a bit difficult. Be sure that if you do root and go with Titanium (TiBu) that you never EVER restore system app data. That usually causes a butt load of force closes. Apps you download will be ok with data restored. If rooting get a good file manager. There are several but the two most popular is ES File Explorer and Root Explorer. I prefer Root, but it’s because it was the first I used and I’m very familiar with it. Once you go that route just browse your device. Be sure not to alter anything. When you’re looking at files you will see something like “rw-r-r” or “rw-rw-r” in the description. These are permissions. Sometimes you’ll see them as 766 (a number, honestly can’t remember what is what), and I’ve forgotten what each number means. To be safe I always note the permission of an app I’m changing in System, so if needed I can simply change it back.

An example would be when I change my MMS app from the white stock to an inverted. I copy the apk over to system and change the permission to “rw-r-r” and reboot. This tells the system who and what can use that app and for what. That’s a bit simple, but basically what it is. If you root you’ll see permission sets often, especially if you are manually installing.

My tech skills are not high, I was good at updating leaked OS's on my blackberry and things like that, but nothing major or all that skillful. And like you say I dont want to risk bricking my phone here. There is so much info to read that it gets quite confusing of where to start first. One day at a time I guess! Thats how I learned on the berry's so I am sure eventually I will get there on this.

It’s much the same thing. Blackberry OS installs basically used software tools to simplify the process, and a lot of talented folks at XDA write “Toolkits” to do it for new users. I used one to unlock my Nexus bootloader and root it. They are always (well almost) command line like tools, since Android will use ADB or Fastboot which are command line tools. Some “power users” frown on toolkits, but I think they are useful. I would defiantly recommend getting to know ADB and Fastboot though. Through ADB you can push, pull files. Command line has always been my downfall, DOS used to frustrate me because I’d forget commands. Luckily there are lists of the ADB commands and a load of tutorials online. The tech stuff isn’t that bad on a basic user level, but it can be overwhelming. That’s why I recommend reading as much as you can.

XDA is a frustrating place. There are folks there that know the ins and outs of ADB, Android, etc. Problem is that, while they are helpful, they see the same questions over and over from panic stricken new users. Searching XDA on any topic can yield useful info. I like to go to my devices Q&A forum and just read. I may never have a problem or question that is posted, but in reading I’m prepared if I do. Pinstack is laid back, and everyone is very helpful. I’d come here first if stuck, but honestly, I don’t know everything or even somethings about Android, so I can only help so much.
    If you navigated through Blackberry though, you will handle Android just fine.

Again thank you so much for taking the time to help me in getting my feet wet with all of this! You rock sir!!!!

It’s my pleasure. Don’t care what device you have, I’ll help if I can. Take it slow. Beautiful thing about Android is usually any issue that arises can be overcome. There’s always someone somewhere who had that problem and either found the solution, or created an app that fixes it. I don’t rock, it’s just the helpful nature of Pinstack and it’s users.
    lovin2act likes this.

Awesomeness and much gratitude!

Better explanation than I can give

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...verizons-sgs3/

Thank ya!