I have AT&T and am thinking of getting a used Android device to try. I ... Android Smartphones forum

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive device that is compatible with AT&T 3G?

Advertisement

I have AT&T and am thinking of getting a used Android device to try.

I know AT&T was late to the Android party, since they had iPhone exclusivity for a long time. I also know T-Mobile branded devices cannot get 3G on AT&T.

Does anyone know of Android devices that are branded to AT&T (or Bell, Telus, Rogers in Canada) that are inexpensive? I will check Craigslist and other places. However, I am completely unfamiliar with Android, so I have no idea which models to look for.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    What do you want from your phone? Any important features?

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    What do you want from your phone? Any important features?
    I am mainly looking for something that has the apps and features that BlackBerry lacks, for example Netflix.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

OK, 2nd try at replying.

I can recommend the HTC Inspire. My father in law has one, so I've played around with it. Its got a nice screen, good power and memory, does run Netflix, and it pretty comparable to all other androids. Don't know if its the best they offer, but its pretty solid. Not too big, but is a tad heavy. Personally I like that.

Being an HTC, it comes with Sense, which is amount the better of the UI that manufacturers lay on top of gingerbread. May not come out of the box with gingerbread, but his was updated within a day or so.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Chokem had the Inspire for awhile too and seemed to like it. AT&T also has the Moto Atrix, the Samsung Infuse and the LG Thrill.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Laura, the Inspire is probably the best and most stable of droids on AT&T. Big screen, memory card slot, really nice device. If you expect battery life close to your Berry, you will be sorely disappointed. If you get it or any android, I highly advise looking into a larger cap battery. bmay82 is having good luck with his rooted, custom ROM Thunderbolt concerning battery life.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Agree battery life isn't as good as berries, but mine isn't horrible. I'm no longer over locked on the phone, its ROM runs nicely. We used hot spot for an hour last night and used I think 20-25% with 2 devices pulling.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I am mainly looking for something that has the apps and features that BlackBerry lacks, for example Netflix.
    Why not try the iphone4?

If you're set on trying Android out then the Infuse or Inspire is where you want to be at with AT&T. Samsung is known for being incredibly late or just for getting about devices all together with updates so keep that in mind.

Of all the overlays on Android I like Sense the best. A lot of nice features with it and IMO the best looking overlay. HTC is decent about updates but you're always going to be manufaturer reliant on them. Not the actual software company. Once you're rooted though the world opens up as a lot of great minds port versions and make versions for that device.

I would research www.xda-developers.com to find out what's going on in that particular community before I made a decision. New androids come out just about every month, keep that in mind and look in the news. Lots of good articles in the news section about what's up and coming.