Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 1 Post By jfcooley
  • 1 Post By jfcooley

hello everyone im new in this forum and i have a question. its gonna be ... Android Smartphones forum

TelisJok no está en línea Stack level 1

big s.o.s. question about bying a phone while being on abroad...

Advertisement

hello everyone im new in this forum and i have a question. its gonna be complicated but i hope someone could help me..

i live in europe and i want to buy the new LG smartphone LG Nexus 4 (E960). the thing is, the phone is not yet released in the country i live and when its going to be, the price of it will be 500euros (635.8 U.S. dollars)

the good news is that a friend of mine will be visiting usa in december and i will want him to buy me the phone from there (USA) at the cost of 290dollars (almost 236euros).

so here comes my question.. is the phone going to be ok when he returns to europe? will the phone be unlocked? will everything be ok and will i will be able to use it normally? i know that there are some cases when the phones are blocked and cannot be used in any other countries (when bought from USA)..

any help - response would be appreciated.

thank you

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T999 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

If the phone is purchased directly from Google it will definitely be unlocked.

Welcome to the group, by the way.

TelisJok no está en línea Stack level 1
    so if i tell my friend to buy it from Google Play Store, he will get it in its box and he will deliver it to me when he returns, i unbox it, insert my sim card, open it and everything is going to be fine. right? :P

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T999 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Should be yes!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    What Roger said.
    Good luck, sold out currently.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    The Nexus 4, like the (GSM) Galaxy Nexus before it comes with pentaband HSPA+. This should cover all of the HSPA+/UMTS/3G GSM networks deployed in the world. There's no SIM network lock on devices ordered from the Play Store.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hang on, there's something else. The phone from the US will work fine.
    When your friends arrives back in the EU/UK he better smuggle it in. If it's new in the box and your customs picks it up you'll need more than a 100 euros to legitimize it and add VAT to that. So your buddy better unbox it and carry it as a personal phone. He must hide the box and the contents amongst his personal belongings and separated. Once it goes through x rays they'll pick up separate parts and not a nice, juicy cash generator.
    The US is not party to the Schengen treaty, so anything going back and forth from the EU or the UK are subject to custom duties, import duties and local taxes.
    Last edited by Delfim; 11-14-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    RogerG likes this.

Del-international smuggler, customs guru, ladies man.
    Pinstack Agent 002
    RogerG likes this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ All that. I'm taking up wood chopping too.
    Seriously I've tried all ways to avoid import taxes on products from the US. And it doesn't work unless you find ways of smuggling it. I know it's not right, but heck, it's not as if we're bankers looking for safe tax havens. If it can be done for the little guy, why not?
    Now, as for the ladies man thing I want you to keep mum about that. Carla also reads PS. Sheesh...

For the sake of intact marriages and family units, the "ladies" I'm referring to are devices. Sounded sexier and more intriguing.

Bond has his wimminz. Del has his digital weakness.

As for cutting firewood (used firewood to avoid the inevitable Capdot sexual comment) I'm more than happy to turn it over to you. Of you want to get in shape, it will do it. It doesn't help induce labor, much to Cassie's dissatisfaction.
    Delfim likes this.

quain88 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    Hang on, there's something else. The phone from the US will work fine.
    When your friends arrives back in the EU/UK he better smuggle it in. If it's new in the box and your customs picks it up you'll need more than a 100 euros to legitimize it and add VAT to that. So your buddy better unbox it and carry it as a personal phone. He must hide the box and the contents amongst his personal belongings and separated. Once it goes through x rays they'll pick up separate parts and not a nice, juicy cash generator.
    The US is not party to the Schengen treaty, so anything going back and forth from the EU or the UK are subject to custom duties, import duties and local taxes.

wahahahha, so love this idea, smuggling huh? hehehehe clever and practical

DanielJones no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TelisJok View Post
    hello everyone im new in this forum and i have a question. its gonna be complicated but i hope someone could help me..

i live in europe and i want to buy the new LG smartphone LG Nexus 4 (E960). the thing is, the phone is not yet released in the country i live and when its going to be, the price of it will be 500euros (635.8 U.S. dollars)

the good news is that a friend of mine will be visiting usa in december and i will want him to buy me the phone from there (USA) at the cost of 290dollars (almost 236euros).

so here comes my question.. is the phone going to be ok when he returns to europe? will the phone be unlocked? will everything be ok and will i will be able to use it normally? i know that there are some cases when the phones are blocked and cannot be used in any other countries (when bought from USA)..

any help - response would be appreciated.

thank you
    Hey TelisJok
    The phone your friend will purchase from US at $290(actual price $636) will not work in Europe as it will be on contract. You are only allowed to use services of same carrier from which you are purchasing it.
    To make it work in Europe you have to make it carrier unlock (you need to pay complete amount for it) else you have to find some alternate way to make it carrier unlock.
    Do a complete study before purchasing and consult it with the carrier you are using.