Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GNoteUser

I've had my Droid Inc2 (Incredible 2) now for about 6-7 months and I absolutely ... Android Smartphones forum

  1. #1
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548

    Question Battery & freezing issues with Droid Inc2

    Advertisement



    I've had my Droid Inc2 (Incredible 2) now for about 6-7 months and I absolutely love it and it serves my needs far better than BlackBerry ever did! Unfortunately though I still find myself having to charge my device a number of times throughout the day because the battery drains as fast (if not faster), which is in part why I am posting today. So my question is...

    Is there a way to pull up apps which are running in the background that are not related to the OS?

    So far the only way I have figured out to do this is to go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All which shows everything running, even those necessary to the OS. So I don't know what I can and cannot force closed to help conserve on battery.

    I've also been having a recent issue which is causing my device to momentarily freeze up on me, which happens most frequently when I am typing a SMS, email etc. It typically only lasts a minute or so, but it happens frequently enough that it is becoming beyond annoying! Periodically when it unfreezes it will also show me the black screen with the Skyraider logo, as if the device has rebooted, without having actually rebooted (if that makes sense). So my question is...

    Is this typical for an Android device? And is there a way to stop this from happening?

    Thanks in advance to those who reply!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  2. #2
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    I know there are app managers out there you can get to do what you want. I'll let our resident 'Droid experts chime in with names of the apps.

    As for the freezing, not sure what would cause that, either. Is this the canned SMS app that you're using or is it a 3rd party app?

  3. #3
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    I know there are app managers out there you can get to do what you want. I'll let our resident 'Droid experts chime in with names of the apps.

    As for the freezing, not sure what would cause that, either. Is this the canned SMS app that you're using or is it a 3rd party app?
    I'm honestly not sure about the SMS app and I'm still not familiar with most of the technological terms related to Android. But I read & reply to the messages using a widget (I believe). They do appear in my 'Messages' app though, which is what came on my device. So I am assuming the widget just acts as a shortcut to the pre-installed app. But again, not 100% sure
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  4. #4
    DanielJones's Avatar
    DanielJones no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    30
    Hey Javabratt
    For saving the battery consumed by apps that are not being used at the time I uses Advanced Task Killer app. Try this app, you will find it helpful.
    But while using it do not close the apps that appear green in the list.

  5. #5
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielJones View Post
    Hey Javabratt
    For saving the battery consumed by apps that are not being used at the time I uses Advanced Task Killer app. Try this app, you will find it helpful.
    But while using it do not close the apps that appear green in the list.
    Thanks for the reply DanielJones!

    It just so happens that I was having an issue with MailDroid crashing and the app developer wanted to know if I had the Advanced Task Killer app installed on my device. I'm not sure exactly why he wanted to know, but do you know if this app can cause issues with apps which are running and/or being used?

    Also, I did install ROM Manager on my device and ran the "Fix Permissions", and it hasn't froze up since. As far as the battery goes though, still having the same issue which I'm now starting to believe has to do with the fact that network coverage in my area has slowly been going to... well you know where

    Thanks again, and have a great day!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  6. #6
    GNoteUser's Avatar
    GNoteUser no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    17
    Do Not Use Task Killers with Android. They do more harm than good. Any advanced Android user will tell you the same thing.

    If you want to save battery, the best thing to do is root your device. That way you can get rid of stock apps (bloatware that you cant remove otherwise) you dont use. Also you can switch different ROM's and kernels that are more battery efficient. This is a bit more advanced stuff.

    Do me a favor, use your device for a day and post the About>Battery Use screenshot. It should give a better idea of what is using the battery.

    Edit: I might add I personally dont like ROM Manager either. Personal choice but I like to do things manually.
    RogerG and JavaBratt like this.

  7. #7
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by GNoteUser View Post
    Do Not Use Task Killers with Android. They do more harm than good. Any advanced Android user will tell you the same thing.

    If you want to save battery, the best thing to do is root your device. That way you can get rid of stock apps (bloatware that you cant remove otherwise) you dont use. Also you can switch different ROM's and kernels that are more battery efficient. This is a bit more advanced stuff.

    Do me a favor, use your device for a day and post the About>Battery Use screenshot. It should give a better idea of what is using the battery.

    Edit: I might add I personally dont like ROM Manager either. Personal choice but I like to do things manually.
    Thanks for the reply GNoteUser!

    I rooted my device the day I received it, which was a royal pain (see my post here), so I try not to do anything which may result in my having to do that all over again. So any kind of task killer, ROM manager, update etc. I ONLY use and/or install with supervision LOL! I have noticed though, since I originally posted this thread, that my battery problem is likely due to the fact that my network signal is all over the place.

    Now I've been with Verizon since the day they opened, and never had any network problems. BUT I moved about three years ago and shortly thereafter started experiencing some issues, which was right around the same time they started to implement 4G into the area. But this past year the issue has progressively worsened. Now majority of those I know in the area with Verizon are on 4G, which seems to work without issues, whereas my 3G is a different story. I can sit in the same spot at home and watch my signal go from full strength 3G to less than half on 1x, back to 3G and then to nothing. During these times I see a significant change in my battery, not to mention that when I receive phone calls my phone randomly decides not to ring and I've been dropping calls as well (something I NEVER had an issue with prior to their working on 4G).

    So while I do use my device frequently, I believe my battery is draining because of my device constantly having to search for a network. Of course I may be wrong, but getting a straight answer out of Verizon is pretty much impossible I've started looking into other carriers because I'm beyond fed up considering Verizon is more expensive than pretty much all others, but even if I wanted a new phone, I can't afford one and I can't take mine with me. So I'm just kind of stuck now

    Thank you again for the reply!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  8. #8
    GNoteUser's Avatar
    GNoteUser no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    17
    Glad to see your rooted it opens up alot of options for you. I won't get into ROMing and changing kernels. Recommended apps are Titanium Backup (even the free version) to backup apps and AdAway to get rid of Ads.


    If you are in a low reception area the cell radio will without a question eat battery. Have you tested 3G reception at home with another phone? If so, call Verizon and let them know about your reception issues at home. If you are having reception issues at home, I believe that is cause for them to cancel the contract with no ETF (don't know how Verizon deals with this). That is something you shouldn't have to deal with.

    Keep in mind though, if they ask you to return the phone for whatever reason you have to unroot it.

  9. #9
    DanielJones's Avatar
    DanielJones no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaBratt View Post
    Thanks for the reply DanielJones!

    It just so happens that I was having an issue with MailDroid crashing and the app developer wanted to know if I had the Advanced Task Killer app installed on my device. I'm not sure exactly why he wanted to know, but do you know if this app can cause issues with apps which are running and/or being used?

    Also, I did install ROM Manager on my device and ran the "Fix Permissions", and it hasn't froze up since. As far as the battery goes though, still having the same issue which I'm now starting to believe has to do with the fact that network coverage in my area has slowly been going to... well you know where

    Thanks again, and have a great day!
    Hey JavaBratt
    Yes Advanced Task Killers may cause harm to your running apps but there is a trick to use it for increasing efficiency of your phone. I am explaining it to you. Simply launch Advanced Task Killer app, it will show up a list of all apps running on your phone, ideal apps will be in while and running ones in green, remove selection from running apps and kill all ideal ones. There will be no harm to your installed apps.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by DanielJones; 02-13-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: spell mistake

  10. #10
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by GNoteUser View Post
    Glad to see your rooted it opens up alot of options for you. I won't get into ROMing and changing kernels. Recommended apps are Titanium Backup (even the free version) to backup apps and AdAway to get rid of Ads.


    If you are in a low reception area the cell radio will without a question eat battery. Have you tested 3G reception at home with another phone? If so, call Verizon and let them know about your reception issues at home. If you are having reception issues at home, I believe that is cause for them to cancel the contract with no ETF (don't know how Verizon deals with this). That is something you shouldn't have to deal with.

    Keep in mind though, if they ask you to return the phone for whatever reason you have to unroot it.
    Thanks again GNoteUser for the reply!

    I will check out Titanium Backup because I just found out my subscription to Snap Secure expired, and they locked me out of my account and are holding my data for ransom unless I pay for another subscription. Like forcing my hand will accomplish that LOL! Don't think so

    As for the AdAway to get rid of ads... are you talking about in app ads?

    Now with the whole battery ordeal... I had the same problems with my previous phone too, but just wrote it off as being due to heavy use. I didn't really notice the cell reception issue until this past year or so. But prior to this I had two BlackBerry devices and my father had one too. All of them had the same issue. Now I have the Droid Incredible 2 and my dad has a Commando, we're still having the same issue. Verizon was emailed (I ONLY communicate with them via email as statement over the phone cannot be trusted). They've of course failed to address my concerns. My mother had the same issue last year and Verizon came out with one of their vans and determined (despite their coverage map stating otherwise) that the signal was fair at best. They canceled her contract because of that fact and allow her to go month-to-month. I on the other hand have fulfilled all my contracts and am actually paying for devices not in use because of their new "shared data" BS. In the end I am looking for a new carrier, but am having great difficulties

    As far as my phone... they cannot ask for it back because I purchased it on my own so I didn't have to sign-up with a new two year agreement

    Thanks again for the post and app suggestions!!

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielJones View Post
    Hey JavaBratt
    Yes Advanced Task Killers may cause harm to your running apps but there is a trick to use it for increasing efficiency of your phone. I am explaining it to you. Simply launch Advanced Task Killer app, it will show up a list of all apps running on your phone, ideal apps will be in while and running ones in green, remove selection from running apps and kill all ideal ones. There will be no harm to your installed apps.
    Cheers.
    Thanks DanielJones!!

    I will look into the app and see if I can be trusted with it or not LOL! I'm just more so afraid of doing something which may result in my having to re-root or flash because the first time (thanks to my one-in-a-hundred device) took two days

    Thanks again though, I will make sure to look into it!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  11. #11
    DanielJones's Avatar
    DanielJones no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    30
    My old HTC Wildfire was rooted and I was using that app, it never troubled me.
    As of the battery usage in idle condition Android System, Cell Standby, and Phone idle consumes approx 42, 25, and 24 percent of battery respectively.
    Hey! I am Daniel Jones, working in a web application development company as app developer. I enjoys exploring apps on iOS, BlackBerry, Android and other mobile platforms.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •