Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seeking advice to see if there is anything I am missing before having to buck-up ... Android Smartphones forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Attempting to Recover MicroSD Files - SD Card Blank/Unsupported Filesystem"

Advertisement

Seeking advice to see if there is anything I am missing before having to buck-up and pay-up to send the card to a Data Recovery Firm in order to salvage the pictures/videos that are on there.

SD card was in the fiancées Note 2. Samsung 16GB HC SD Card. Of course, out of the blue it pops up with the "SD card is blank or has unsupported filesystem" notice.

I am leaning to believe that the controller is fawked up, because I am unable to get it to be recognized on any computer (Mac & Windows). It recognizes other cards, but not this one, so I can't go into the command prompt and have it check the card that way.

Is there anything that I am missing? If I could get it to read at least, then I feel confident that I could recover this information, but without it reading or being recognized by any computer, there is no way that I can navigate to it in command prompt.

Any ideas would be appreciated and tried, as I am guessing it's going to cost about $200 or so in order to ship it away and have the company disassemble the card and retrieve the information off of it.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    And FWIW, the adapter that I am using to connect to PC is a Targus that supports MicroSDHC. Other SD cards will work, just not this particular one. And I had a Sandisk adapter but realized it didn't support SDHC.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    And another FWIW - There is no physical damage that can be seen on the card (ie cracks).

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Another interesting thing...If I have the SD card connected to the adapter and the computer, and I go to START>COMPUTER>RIGHT CLICK>DISK MANAGEMENT, windows locks up there on the Computer Management....If I take the card out, the Computer Management window pops up normal...

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I dunno, but I think you may as well kiss that card goodbye. But I may stand corrected here.
    I had a similar problem with a card pulled out of a Note 2 and both the HTC One and Galaxy 4 I tried it on didn't recognize it. I tried on the PC as well and nothing happened. I got hold of Sandisk and all I got from them was they were willing to replace the card which was still under guarantee, but the data wouldn't or couldn't be recovered. I counted my losses right then and there. Thankfully all my data is backed up to the cloud (DropBox, GDrive and and SkyDrive) so the only thing I would have wasted was time.
    Now, I don't bother having a smartphone with a card slot. Everything I have is accessible via one of the three cloud accounts.
    Good luck anyway.
    EDIT: I believe our good friend jfcooley had a similar experience. I can't remember what the outcome was.
    So Jay, just add something here, will ya?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Well, another update....just left the adapter and card plugged into the computer....Out of the blue, autoplay pops up and tries to start running and then closes. Has done this 2x now. I went to MY COMPUTER and it shows F Drive, but double click on it and the MY COMPUTER window stops responding...

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I would say that the card is corrupted but could be wrong. I've had a few go bad and just couldn't be recognized all of a sudden. Lose all data but I'm with Del I don't trust them for backup. Doesn't seem to be any recourse when things go missing in action

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    If I could just get the damn thing to connect and STAY connected to a computer, I think I would be able to at least grab the files from it...Screw the card...I am burning that POS as soon as all the info is off of it. I just don't get why it's attempting to run autoplay, shows up under My Computer and then nothing more. My only logical guess is that the controller is FUBAR'D, which unfortunately I can't just rip the card open, pull the chip and solder to a different card with a known-working controller. Stupid MicroSD. Let's go back to just straight SD!!!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.

In a bag...so no moisture

Sd card, not phone. Maybe hour if 15 doesn't work. Driving...sorry couldn't wait to edit.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    There you go. Freeze the crap and its good to go. Geez, I should have tried that... instead I tried to keep it warm and snuggy!
    LOL this is new. Wow! Trust Jay to come up with this.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Interesting tech support trick! HAH!
    Will be trying that and report back!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    In other words, chill out, SD card!

Guess it didn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast