Hi folks , I'm a noob to the forum. I've got an att captivate with ... Android Smartphones forum

drewfs7270 no está en línea Stack level 1

Advertisement

Hi folks , I'm a noob to the forum. I've got an att captivate with 2.1, chomping at the bits for 2.2 or higher. Rooting sounds very tempting to me, but I'm afraid of messing up my phone and voiding my waranty. Anyone heard when this phone will get froyo?
    Thanks,
    drewfs7270

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    They had actually posted the update yesterday - lots of sites reported it - then they pulled it. They keep saying "any day now" but they've been saying that for months. If you're really curious, head over to XDA Developers & learn about installing custom ROMs. It's daunting at first because there is so much to read - just go slowly, read the stickies, watch the videos, and you should be good! I haven't done a custom ROM yet but I have rooted. It's fairly easy, and it gives some nice extra abilities. e.g., you see how the bottom capacitive button lights go off after only a couple of seconds? Once you root, you can install an app that keeps them on as long as the screen is on.

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    I had a captivate for the last few months and custom rom is the way to go.... as NickAC said check out XDA Developers and go to the captivate developing section....I personally liked the Cognition Rom the best of the 4-5 roms I've used. It's really not that hard and doesnt take much time. Good luck and enjoy.
    Apple iPhone 5C 16gb (Green)

Follow Me on Twitter

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Welcome to PinStack drewfs.

Listen to them ^^. Flash a custom ROM and end your suffering! Here's where you need to be.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884364

Read 1st, then follow step by step, and you'll be fine. I don't own a Captivate, but its Android, so its hard to brick unless you're trying to. Who knows how long before Samsung will release an update. They want you to buy their new phones just to have the update. That seems pretty obvious and shady to me. Especially when I hear how great the custom 2.2.1 ROMs are for the Captivate. Root and free yourself.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

I just installed a custom ROM for the first time last night and am loving the results! Got these superb new features:

- Voice dialing thru Bluetooth
    - Default calendar now my Gmail calendar when creating new events
    - Editing text is easier because of cursor location widget
    - Very snappy responses
    - Battery options to show % level
    - Multiple lockscreen choices; couple with next alarm shown
    - GPS locks much, much better

That's what I've discovered so far. I'm sure there are more features I'll uncover! I installed Firefly 2.2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914284

NickAC If you have unlimited data most custom roms also come with "mobile AP" under you wireless setting....turns your captivate into a wireless hotspot without having to have a tethering plan.....make sure your unlimited or you'll use all your data kinda fast. You can lock it just like a home router as well....pretty sweet

Follow Me on Twitter

Ooh, good point Brandon - forgot to include mobile AP in those great new features!! I don't have the unlimited plan anymore. When I had my BB, I dropped down to the 200 Mb plan to take advantage of the price, so now I can't go back - only to the 2Gb plan. I don't use more than ~ 300 Mb in a given month so that should still leave me some good breathing room, esp if I don't stream media with the tethered laptop.

I dropped to the 2gb plan but have a friend at at&t who got me back on unlimited last fall.... :-) good thing to because I use 4-6 gigs a month....my little brother used 11gigs in 2 days the other day lol....I told him to take it easy, they may start asking questions lol.

Follow Me on Twitter

Good lord - what are y'all doing with those things? Is that solely because of tethering?

Ya we use em for our primary internet source out where we live due to the lack of a good high speed provider out here.... :-(

Follow Me on Twitter