I got in on the beta for mSpot for Android. Anyone else trying it? There ... Android Smartphones forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Anyone else trying mSpot?

Advertisement

I got in on the beta for mSpot for Android. Anyone else trying it? There have been a few glitches, they were not prepared for the response they received so their servers got overloaded and they had some device login issues that now seem to be worked out. But now it is up and running well for me and I'm really liking it.

The service allows you to upload/sync music from your pc to their service, you can then listen to that music from your phone. They give you 2gb free storage and I got another 2gb free for answering their survey. I have synced over 2,500 songs from itunes and can now play them on my droid as I wish. The app also has a widget and a live wallpaper that shows the album art from all your music randomly scrolling on your home screen.

The coolest thing is that this morning i purchased a new album on itunes then left while it was downloading. As each song downloaded to itunes, it also auto synced and uploaded to the mSpot service. So while I was out I could listen to my new album without ever having to connect my phone to my pc to transfer the new music.

The bitrate is low so the music quality is not outstanding, but it's free access to a bunch of your music while on the go and it leaves room on your memory card for other things.

More here:
    http://www.intomobile.com/2010/05/20...ck-to-you.html
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Very cool find!!! Going to try it tonight.Ya know i think you and lava must do nothing but app search, you two always are coming up with something. LOL

mp3michael no está en línea Stack level 1

More advanced service is MP3tunes

MP3tunes http://www.mp3tunes.com is really the grand-daddy of music lockers with the biggest capacity and widest support. You can immediately get a 2gb locker for free and sign up for an invite for a 10GB locker. Their service auto-syncs any filetypes (aac, mp3, wma, ogg, etc) on Mac/Win/Lin from any media player (iTunes, Windows Media Player, Winamp, etc) to the cloud. From there users can stream to any web browser, iPhone, iTouch, iPad, Android, Logitech Squeezebox Radio and more. You can see examples at: http://www.mp3tunes.com/screenshot section.

MP3tunes has big advantages over mspot:

- Open to all users today
    - Streams on any Apple or Android device
    - Will save high quality files (mspot compresses everything to 48k)
    - Allows downloads (not just streaming) to PC and smartphones which means it can also be backup service
    - Can match songs for any mood or similar (ala Pandora)

-- MR

A few questions, the 10gb locker, how long is the wait for an invite and is it still free? 2gb is not enough and I have 4 free with mSpot. Also it has been my experience with services that stream through the browser on the smartphone, that if you leave the browser running in the background and check a message or use a twitter app etc, the music stops playing(ie moodio.fm). Will your service multitask or will it stop playing if you switch from the browser to another app? The latter would make it useless to me, multitasking is a must!
    Twitter? My Apps List

I just setup a priority code: pinstack which will work for 100 users so that when they use an invite they will get it redeemed quickly (24-48 hours). Pinstackers can sign up at: http://www.mp3tunes.com/invite and they will quickly get 10GBs.

As for your question, I don't want this to sound like an ad for MP3tunes but we're the technology and feature leader. The music will play as long as you allow it to - even in the background. So yes, we allow multi-tasking and background playing on all platforms we support: i/phone/pad/touch, android, PC, net radios, etc.

It may be interesting for this group to know that we're the only service with an open API so anyone can build an interface for any device. See: http://www.mp3tunes.com/api

-- MR

So I went to check it out and it says that listening via phone or other devices is only for users with a premium account @$39.00 per year.....so with 2gb or the 10gb I still could not listen from my phone correct? After clicking to register for a free account this pops up.....

Are you sure? You get:
    • Listening on phones & other devices
    • Space for more of your music
    • Personal, Priority Support when you need help.
    ...only with a Premium Music Locker
    Twitter? My Apps List

That's inaccurate phrasing. You can listen on phones, net radios, etc unlimited with the free account. I will have someone change that.

-- MR

OK, got the app for my Droid, what is Radio supposed to do? It just brings up a blank page...I don't like that it brings in the music on my SD card....it even picked up ringtones in a download folder....

Also, it allows you to select Synchronize Locker in settings but it does not say how often it will check....just "periodically" can you clarify?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Also, mSpot does have some great features like widget, live wallpaper, and it's own media dock mode for the Droid.....love those options...especially the widget....most Android peeps loves them some widgets
    Twitter? My Apps List

Oh gosh, and the MP3Tunes app also found all the mSpot music that I had streamed from their service to my phone......when they are played in your app they have no album art and the titles are all screwy....MP3Tunes lists them in its "unknown" folder. And it also has all my ringtones in there so randomly shuffling music will mix in all my ringtones. It's a big mess!

Is there no way to choose what folders on the phone it accesses

mp3michael where did you go? LOL
    Twitter? My Apps List

Hello, Michael, where are you hiding? LOL
    Twitter? My Apps List

We shouldn't list ringtones. I'll have the engineer make change so it ignores any songs that are less than one minute. That should fix that issue. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

I don't have the mspot software yet so I can't tell you what's going on with those tracks. If they're properly tagged then the MP3tunes app should integrate them just fine. Please send a song to me for debugging: michael@michaelrobertson.com

What does the media dock mode do that you like?

The Radio link will auto-populate stations as you upload music that gets fingerprinted.

Thx for taking the time to give me feedback.

Honestly, without the option to exclude or choose which folders on the device are included, I don't see myself using the app. I have some albums loaded on my device for situations when no data is available and I don't want them automatically integrated.....that option is a must......and in viewing comments in the Android Market, I am not the only one who feels that way. I will send you a copy of the file, but with me it is a moot point, it plays fine in mspot, shows album art and lyrics(love the lyrics), and is properly titled when using that app. Those songs are in the mSpot folder and were not meant to be used by another app which is why user control over which folders MP3Tunes accesses is essential.

Here are a couple screens of what the dock looks like, note in the second screen shot, the L on the album art, just tap that and have the lyrics on the screen

CAP201005280954.jpg
    CAP201005280955.jpg

I like the big date and clock visible(nice to have on my desk) along with the changing album art as the songs play, and tapping the screen quickly gives me the ability to pause, shuffle, skip, etc.

Thanks by the way, I did receive my upgrade to 10GB, I am however holding off on uploading much at this point....the automatic pulling in of local content on the mobile device is not making me happy.....is there any chance you would change this to an option to be decided by the user in settings?
    Twitter? My Apps List