[ PcWorld ] Android, it seems, may be metaphorically stuck in a treehouse with a ... Android Smartphones forum

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Android: The Boys' Club of Smartphones?

Advertisement

[PcWorld] Android, it seems, may be metaphorically stuck in a treehouse with a "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" sign nailed to the door.
    Google's smartphone platform has attracted a disproportionate number of male users, according to a report released today. And lest you think the gender gap is universal to all smartphones, Apple's iPhone actually proved to be quite female-friendly. [Read More]

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    That's interesting. I guess I would not have thought that? Maybe it's only b/c it's new and not widely known just yet. If a female enjoys the iPhone they would certainly enjoy a Nexus 1.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm?????????........

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Waiting on Az to jump in on this one. She's become a die-hard Android fan and left the BB treehouse for now. Not sure why the gender disparity exists here, but I do believe there are typically more men who want the newest gadget out there then there are women.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Waiting on Az to jump in on this one. She's become a die-hard Android fan and left the BB treehouse for now. Not sure why the gender disparity exists here, but I do believe there are typically more men who want the newest gadget out there then there are women.
    And before I get Roasted, just a highlight of the Article...

"...According to AdMob, nearly three-quarters of Android users are male. That's not to say you have to be a dude in order to qualify as an Android fanboy, of course -- but the fellas sure do hold a sizable majority in Google's court. "

This club is more like the Little Rascals club (Darla) not Al Bundy's NO MAM

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    I do believe there are typically more men who want the newest gadget out there then there are women.
    I agree + many of the customer base may already have iPhones and be happy at the moment. IDK? Just thinking out loud

PIN/ID
    Apple
    The Droid commercials do tend to be more hard core and masculine. They should advertise the android Smileys, that's why my girl wants one. Still laugh at that.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    It doesn't really seem surprising to me. BBs were geared towards professionals (female or male), but over the years have been embracing the average user to come on board. Apple and their products remind me of the Benetton ads that embrace any gender, any race, any background. The newest Palm phones have been showing commercials that gear towards the female audience (like Moms). Droid brought out the awareness of Android but its commercials were very masculine: rough and edgy.

The commercials play a lot in their target audience like they are suppposed to, but some of the factor could be that Android is still the newbie but is quickly growing in familiarity. I'm sure those percentages will change as Android grows in popularity.

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    can't compare this to apple. it was already a trusted company by both genders because of their computers and laptops. google will get there. people just can't see past the iphone hype and swear the iphone is the end all of phones, when in reality, it's really not that great.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I think part of it is advertising, part is phone design, the Moto Droid I think has made the biggest public impression and it's design is not "pretty" neither is the G1. Although there are some HTC's that have a softer, prettier design, and some of the skinned UIs like HTC's Sense have more eye candy. Part of it could just be the name "Android" which sounds kind of sci-fi, robot, masculine.

But I am the minority, I am a Droid loving chick, but my mom really likes my Droid too and is seriously considering one for her next upgrade. Although she just wants something/anything with a better/faster browser than her Curve.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    They should start throwing ads out there with greased up guys in spandex holding droids or nexus ones to get the attention of the opposite gender
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    They should start throwing ads out there with greased up guys in spandex holding droids or nexus ones to get the attention of the opposite gender
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    ...and muscular window cleaners ! Imagine, cleaning a window or manning a grease gun with an Android ? Wow ! But for my part I would prefer the female gender doing these jobs...whatever the phone !

PIN/ID
    Retired
    This thread reminds me of like Pets owners and their choice of pets? or Car owners and their choice or cars?