Anyone who asks me about an Android device I often tell them it's a great ... Android Smartphones forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Android OS Business Model-Prediction

Advertisement

Anyone who asks me about an Android device I often tell them it's a great device with a future but I find myself also reminding them how Google (The company behind Android) makes a living. It's interesting, many don't know that answer.

Here is the answer: Google (maker of Android OS) makes money from search and Ads. (Fair statement?)
    So I always tell them to pay close attention to how it (Google and Android) progresses and make sure they are aware of everything.

To better understand some of Androids Model see this thread (long read) but good.

Today an article caught my attention again (like above). By now everyone or many people anyway know how great the Android OS is and some of the great devices are being released (Evo anyone?) it's an outstanding design and spec'd new Android OS phone.

So...... keeping with my push to keep everyone informed I think it's time again make a prediction and attempt to keep PS members aware. Google will slowly begin to allow the Android OS branded (Backflip anyone?) or customized to their liking with Ads that will appear according to how you use the device.

Technology is a wonderful thing and certainly makes our lives better. I'm not picking on Google nor Android, I will be owning one myself. This post is not solely about Android. It just happens to be what sparked these thoughts which I've been holding for awhile.

All our device carriers stand to benefit from being able to personalize the device and content to your real world personality.
    You may purchase a vanilla flavored phone (smart phone) but after turning it on and using it for a few weeks it will know more about you by the data you place on it and what you do while using it. (Genuis anyone?) If your an iTunes user you know what this is. It actually works well bad for pocketbook

Companies like Google (Android) or Apple (iPhone) and Microsoft (Windows Mobile 7 series) are all primed to enable this type of new generation of smart phone.

As you pass by Wendy's at lunch time a message could pop up with an Ad promoting something Wendy's has a special on.
    As you pass by Wal-Mart an Ad could pop up showing the specials that day.
    As you pass Starbucks a text could pop up on the screen letting you know Facebook friend (fill in name) is currently at
    Starbucks and offer the local specials for the day.

Has anyone used Augmented Reality Apps before? Simply awesome and very smart.

Social Networking and location based Apps have really come along opening new doors for us to be engaged. (solicited)
    Branding the OS is not a new concept by any means we all know Verizon love this as does AT&T.
    What has changed is the OS and Social Networking Apps. Quit frankly they are awesome
    They have created a method for the carriers to reach us in new ways.
    I'm actually excited about many of the possibilities even though this post my seem otherwise.

I simply wanted to put these ideas out there for others to think about and I hope to get feedback on. Feed back means people are paying attention and that is the most important part. As these smart phones advance we also need to progress and be smart when using them.

It's an exciting time for smart phone users lets make it the best we can by understanding how they work.
    Last edited by srl7741; 03-25-2010 at 09:33 PM.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I think its all heading in a good direction. These devices, if used correctly, actually save us money in the long run. Personally, I was never one to search the Sunday papers for the best deal, but the idea that my phone could do it for me more efficiently, I say yes. Instead of burning gas getting lost looking for an address, my Droid lets me know exactly where it is. That's a win to me and much better than unfolding a huge map while on the move. Just to feel more in touch with being human. LOL. I'm very secure with myself!

When I really look at what Google has accomplished with Android, in an IPhone dominated market in a little over a year, its not hard to see it will move ahead of the rest. I predict the criticism for having many different devices will turn to praise when its realized that there's an Android device for everyone. From expensive to cheap. I think that's where the ads will come in the most. We'll give you a nice Android device for free, just let us run our ads. Not me, but a lot of people would go for that. Its already being done within some free apps.

Variety and choice. Not a bad situation for me.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    if you've just realized how Google works, then you're already too deep into it. everyone knows how they work and everyone expects Android to work the way Google works because.. well.. it's Google. i don't really understand what you mean by "using our smartphones smarter". it's all made to integrate into our lives and make it easier for us to do everything. if the big brother thing is what you're worried about.. like i said, it's too late.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    In this ultra connected world we have now, just about everything we do is traceable. While most of it can be beneficial and useful, it can be scary to think of it in the wrong hands. It is smart to step back once in a while and look at the permissions we give and just how much we leave a trail that can be used against us.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    As you pass by Wendy's at lunch time a message could pop up with an Ad promoting something Wendy's has a special on.
    As you pass by Wal-Mart an Ad could pop up showing the specials that day.
    As you pass Starbucks a text could pop up on the screen letting you know Facebook friend (fill in name) is currently at
    Starbucks and offer the local specials for the day.
    After I read this I thought of a wife using her husband's phone as they ride in the car together and getting a pop-up as they passed a strip club advertising the days happy hour special.....and her glaring at him and saying so now I know where you've been when you call to say you will be "working" late
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Oh I never thought of that? Hahaha whoops.....
    Things have been changing and it's important to stay on top
    off some of the potential hazards.

Like most good things they can also be used in bad ways
    awareness is important.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    This is what helped spark my original post. Link for now it seems I may be a little ahead in my thoughts or idea.

I still believe I'm not too far off about the near future of how great some of the devices will work and the O.S's ability. So lets use this thread as one to re-visit next year and see just how close I was in making a prediction