I have the worst luck with the damn iPhone, I swear. This weekend I went ... Android Smartphones forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Aftermarket Belkin Home/Car Charger Fried My iPhone

Advertisement

I have the worst luck with the damn iPhone, I swear.

This weekend I went to Target to get a Belkin aftermarket charger so that I could have a charger at both and at work.

So I get home, take it out of the box, and plug in the iPhone on the stand.

After about 10 minutes, I notice the iPhone screen light up, then flash off, then the apple symbol comes back on.

No problem I think, just a glitch and the iphone reset itself (Which it has done once before).

So it's booting back up and shows the apple symbol, and all of a sudden cuts out.

Well, WTF I think to myself and walk over to it and grab it.

THE THING WAS HOTTER THAN HELL!

It was so hot, I literally threw it on the bed because I couldn't hold it.

So I let it sit for about 5 minutes and pick it up, and it's still warm (although not scorching hot), and now I can feel that the screen is almost as warm as the metal on the back of the phone.

I run a towel under cold water, wring it out, and wrap it around the iphone for 5 minutes...Nope...Damn thing still is extremely warm.

So I now throw it in the refridgerator to try and cool it down.

After about 3 minutes I take it out of the fridge, and it's finally cooled down (not frozen at all, but more like "Room temperature" at this point.

So guess what? Yep...It won't turn on at all....Tried resetting it...Nada...Tried plugging it into iTunes, nada...Nothing at all. This thing is fried.

So here I am wondering what steps I need to take at this point, as I looked over Belkins "warranty", and it only warrants THEIR product and NOT any product which you are using THEIR product to charge. Which seems very retarded to me.

Anyways, I am now on hold with Apple trying to figure out what to do with this, as I am not an AT&T customer.

My guess is, I am going to be screwed, however, on the flip side, it may just have gotten hot enough inside to melt any evidence of it being sim unlocked!

Of course, I am using the "it was jailbroken, but not sim unlocked" excuse, so we will see if that makes a difference.

I am almost wondering if I should have let the damn thing burst into flames, burn up half of the bedroom, then file a nice fat lawsuit against 'em.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Aftermarket Belkin Home/Car Charger Fried My iPhone

That's insane, very sorry about the situation. I've never had this happen (and pray it doesn't). Wonder if anything happened to the Belkin charger (internally), it might have been defective, which could help to get Belkin involved..
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Are you sure the charger was iPhone compatible? There's a difference from the standard iPod charger.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by dasupaman23 View Post

Are you sure the charger was iPhone compatible? There's a difference from the standard iPod charger.

Dude...Seriouisly...YES...It should be iPhone compatible considering the fact it said IPHONE CHARGER on the outside of it.

Cracked Out no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Pls!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am really sorry that you had that experience but the way you told the story was funny as hell. I hope that you can look back on this a month from now and agree.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

There isn't a difference between the ipod charger and the iphone----we have two ipods in the house, and therefore a million docks and chargers....my husbands iphone plays very nicely with the ipods docks and chargers...

That stinks about your phone. BUT...I would venture to guess your warranty is void. You say you aren't an ATT customer which means you got the phone unlocked which should void the warranty.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

Wills no está en línea Stack level 1

That's what happened to me today!!! Except I was at RadioShack and I was trying to find a speaker system with a dock so I could use my iPhone. I found one and put it in. It made a weird buzzing noise so I took it out immediately. Then I tried turning it on, nothing. Then I held the buttons for like 2 minutes, took the SIM card in and out and STILL nothing. Then it started to burn my hand where the camera lense was near the top of the phone. It was HOT! I asked some old guy who worked at RadioShack what to do and he said,"Well you shouldn't have put it in there it's not compatible with that model!" Even though I saw the same exact model speaker at another RadioShack with someone using an iPhone on it!!!!! And now iTunes won't even recognize my phone when i plug it in. Can you help me and tell me what you're doing to fix the problem? Should I complain to RadioShack? But to a manager or something?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hey Wills,

Did you put it into the Airplane mode or no?

Are you an ATT customer or no?
    I would take it to the Apple store and tell them your charger did it. If you weren't an ATT customer, hopefully it fried it enough to melt the board and make it inoperable.

Will it turn back on again? Probably not. More than likely its fried.

If you aren't an ATT customer, tell them that you got it as a gift (if you don't have a reciept) and that you were charging it and it never would turn on. Like I was told and used, they are the experts. Its on THEM to determine what happened to, not you to tell them.

It will have to be replaced wither way, so IMO tell them that you were giving it an initial charge and that it fried. Don't tell them you put it in a 3rd party product, or they will laugh you out the door and tell you you're screwed.

If they start to get an attitude, tell them either replace it or you will contemplate suing them for emotional distress and medical bills from the burns and nerve damage you received. ;-)

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I am so laughing my a@@ off right now! I'm sorry Nate, I'm sure your pi**ed but it's funny as hell (also scarry). That will teach you to mess with an iphone..stick with BB. And whoever put up the cartoon from the simpsons~~i want that!

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yeah yeah yeah.

Anyways, I got mine replaced. I told them I was going to sue them (seriously) and the freckle faced geek at the "Genuis Bar" (yeah right) finally caved in.

So I am back to carrying an 8320 and an iPhone.

But since we are talking funny iPhone stories and I am entertaining everyone, here's another one for you.

I hate the fact that all the icons appear on the homescreen, so I used customizer to hide them.

So

I put phone, mail, safari and xlauncher on the dock, and only sms, calendar, clock and camera on the homescreen itself.

I did this so I could see the awesome wallpaper that I put on it.

Now the entire reason behind putting xlauncher on the dock, was so that I could pull up the rest of my programs (kind of like using the Zen theme and hitting the menu button).

So I click save in customize, exit out and the phone of course goes to the lock screen.

I move the slider and I'll be damned....xlauncher didn't appear on the dock!

So now I was screwed. At this point it wasn't even a glorified iTouch because the damn icon for that was hidden. And since I couldn't get back to installer to unhide it, I was stuck.

Tried to connect it to ibricker. Nope. Wouldn't recognize.

So I had to put it into restore, reload the OS, re-jailbreak and re-unlock.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

nate you have inspired me to make a new avatar...thank u lol

Wills no está en línea Stack level 1

Well I went to the Apple store today, told them what was wrong and they said I needed an appt. and that the next opening was at 5:00. BUT some lady was nice enough to get my iphone replaced within a half an hour. So I left with a new phone and iSkin Revo case. I'm pretty happy.

at@tphoneshow no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: Aftermarket Belkin Home/Car Charger Fried My iPhone

Hi I am James Harris with the at@tphoneshow and i need a broken or non-working i was wondering if you could help me out

Mr.Haris

Email: atandtphoneshow@yahoo.com

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Broken or non-working what?

iPhone?