ok so this is a manifold question: what are the default file extensions that the ... BlackBerry Multimedia forum

mavet no está en línea Stack level 1

Question multimedia help

Advertisement

ok so this is a manifold question:

what are the default file extensions that the blackberry curve 8300 player uses? is it only .midi and .mp3? is there any kind of player for the blackberry curve 8300 that will also allow one to play mpeg and .wav formats as well? Or do i have to convert them all to .midi and .mp3?

Also, is there a name for this default player that the blackberry comes with? Like "windows media player" for microsoft?

thanks again guys

-A

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Hope it helps

Supported media types on the BlackBerry smartphone

Doc ID : KB05482
    Last Modified : 2008-04-23
    Document Type : What Is

Print this page

Environment

• BlackBerry® 8130 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® 8310 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® 8320 smartphone (running BlackBerry® Device Software 4.2.2 or later)
    • BlackBerry® 8830 World Edition smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Curve™ 8300 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Desktop Software 4.1 or later
    • BlackBerry Device Software 4.2 or later
    • BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8100 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8120 smartphone

Details

The BlackBerry smartphone user can open media files in the Media application such as videos, ring tones, pictures, and songs that are stored in the BlackBerry smartphone memory or on a media card.
    Note: For instructions on how to transcode audio and video files for the Media application, see KB05419.
    Music

The following audio formats (including extensions) are supported:
    • ACC - audio compression formats AAC, AAC+, and EAAC+
    • AMR - Adaptive Multi Rate-Narrow Band (AMR-NB) speech coder standard Supported AMR-NB rates are 4.75 KBps, 5.15 KBps, 5.9 KBps, 6.7 KBps, 7.4 KBps, 7.95 KBps, 10.2 KBps, and 12.2 KBps.
      AMR files must conform to the standards specified in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Request for Comments (RFC) document RFC3267, Section 5, on the the Internet RFC Archive web site.
    • MIDI - Polyphonic MIDI (.mid, .midi, or .smf)
    • MP3 - encoded using MPEG Part 1 and Part 2 audio layer 3 Supported sample rates are 16kHz, 22.050kHz, 24kHz, 32kHz, 44.1kHz, and 48kHz.
    • WAV - supports sample rates of 8 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, and 48 kHz with 8-bit and 16-bit depths in mono or stereo WAV files created using audio codec GSM6.10 are supported. However, BlackBerry 8830 series smartphones do not natively support Global Systems for Mobile Communications® (GSM®) encoding and require the BlackBerry Attachment Service from either the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or the BlackBerry® Internet Service. See KB13547 for more information.
      Note: Playback of WAV files received as email message attachments requires BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2.
      Note: If the BlackBerry smartphone user has a BlackBerry Internet Service 2.3 account with BlackBerry Device Software 4.2 or later, WAV voice mail files will work.
    Windows Media Audio (WMA 9) Standard Profile Decoder
    • WMA 10 Professional M0 Profile Decoder WMA 9 Profile Decoder and WMA 10 M0 Profile Decoder are only supported by BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 or later. See KB05419 for more information.
    The following audio file extensions are also supported:
    • .avi containing PCM, MP3, and AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    • .3gp containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    • .mp4 containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    • .mov containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    • .aac and .m4a containing AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
    Note: Support is available for streaming stereo audio over a Bluetooth® connection (A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles) on the following BlackBerry smartphone models:
    • BlackBerry 8310 smartphone
    • BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone (running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2.123 or later)
    • BlackBerry® 8800 smartphone (running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 or later)
    • BlackBerry Curve 8300 smartphone (running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 or later)
    • BlackBerry Pearl 8120 smartphone
    • BlackBerry Pearl 8130 smartphone
    Note: DRM (Digital Rights Management) copyright protected files will not play on BlackBerry smartphones.
    Video

The following video formats are supported:
    • MPEG-4 Part 2 - Simple Profile + bvops (including DivX® files in this format)
    • H.263 Profile 0 and Profile 3 (Supported file formats are .avi, .3gp, .mp4, .mov, Video - up to QCIF (176x144))
    • WMV 9 Simple Profile Video Decoder
    The following video file extensions are also supported:
    • .avi containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    • .mov containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    • .3gp containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    • .mp4 containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    • .m4v containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    • .mpg containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
    Note: The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone is not able to play .avi files.

mavet no está en línea Stack level 1
    Ok great!!!

thanks for the information. I have a universal converter that converts any kind of audio/video format into any other format.

No problem. Glad I could help. Welcome to the Stacks.

8320Curve no está en línea Stack level 2
    is there some reason that i can't view or download an mp4 attachment on my 8320?

Quote Originally Posted by 8320Curve View Post
    is there some reason that i can't view or download an mp4 attachment on my 8320?
    My guess would be b/c you are still running 4.2.2.180 OS or earlier. (not sure since it does not say in your profile) Just paraphrasing from the full article but....

New BlackBerry Device Software 4.3 features

Multimedia Enhancements
    Send and receive video files using MMS
    Attach video files to MMS messages, and play video files received using MMS. For more information, see KB14268.

8320Curve no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

yes, I am running the stock firmware. Looked at mediapop but it does not support bes.