howdy! okay, so i used dvd shrink to rip disc 1 of firefly. i then ... BlackBerry Multimedia forum

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

no matter what i do, 16:9 vids are converting as 4:3

Advertisement

howdy!

okay, so i used dvd shrink to rip disc 1 of firefly. i then tried roxio media manager to convert the vob to mp4 during 'copy down', but i guess vob is a format roxio doesn't dig. i then used super to convert the vob per this thread. it converts it to a playable format alright, but it's converting it to 4:3. in the settings, i tried 1:1, 4:3 and 16:9, all to no avail. i know this must be doable and i'm sure i'm just knuckleheading it. can anyone advise?

thx!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

jjames42 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: no matter what i do, 16:9 vids are converting as 4:3

Funny, I am in the process of converting the series as well.

Episodic DVDs are a pain to convert. I just converted my Police Squad DVD after about 3 days of fiddling with mPlayer/mEncoder.

The biggest pain with converting these, is figuring out with titles to convert. After copying the DVD to my hard drive, I used the following in a batch file mplayer.exe -v dvd://%1 -dvd-device E:\FullDisc\VIDEO_TS -aid 128 and then called it with the title I wanted to play; play.bat 1. Please note that some titles will not play using this; not sure why. If you look at the output of this, you can see how many titles there are on each DVD.

After getting all the titles for each episode, I used mencoder to convert them to individual episodes with the following batch file mencoder.exe dvd://%1 -dvd-device E:\FullDisc\VIDEO_TS -aid 128 -vf scale=320:-3 -o %2.avi -of avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=230:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64 and called it with the title I wanted to convert and the output filename; cvt.bat 1 episode1.

FYI:
    the scale=320:-3 setting calculates w/h using the other dimension and the original aspect ratio.
    the aid=128 option plays the first audio track. Please see the documentation for more info.

Please note that you mileage may vary, but I used this and in about 3 hours I converted the Police Squad's 6 episodes.

I hope to convert my Firefly set this weekend, time pending. If I have success, I will let you guys now.

One more thing, the above scripts will play/convert movies as well.

thx, jjames. i suppose i should have posted back, but i found the perfect solution. in perusing the forums here, a couple of people recommended seabyrd, which i downloaded. wow! works perfectly, and maintains the 16:9 aspect ratio.

so, in a nutshell, i use dvdshrink to rip to my hd, then seabyrd to encode and xfer. pretty simple. highly recommended method.

jjames42 no está en línea Stack level 2

Cool.

FYI, Seabird uses mEncoder to do it bidding.

One this I did notice with Seabird right now is no way to crop a movie to remove the black bars around a widescreen movie automatically. The only way I have found to do this is by playing the movie through mPlayer (mplayer dvd://1 -vf cropdetect). Play for about 30 seconds and you should see something like: -vf crop=720:352:0:62 being repeated over and over again. You can add the crop= to the custom arguments item on the Advanced Tab and the black bars will magically disappear.

wow. you are like the freakin' media master. thx for the info!

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

Quote Originally Posted by jjames42
    Cool.

FYI, Seabird uses mEncoder to do it bidding.

One this I did notice with Seabird right now is no way to crop a movie to remove the black bars around a widescreen movie automatically. The only way I have found to do this is by playing the movie through mPlayer (mplayer dvd://1 -vf cropdetect). Play for about 30 seconds and you should see something like: -vf crop=720:352:0:62 being repeated over and over again. You can add the crop= to the custom arguments item on the Advanced Tab and the black bars will magically disappear.
    great info there james. you get a trust point from me