I can't find the Blackberry Multimedia Thread, so MOD can move this where ever it ... BlackBerry Multimedia forum

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Help Getting Video On Blackberry

Advertisement

I can't find the Blackberry Multimedia Thread, so MOD can move this where ever it belongs...

Here's the situation. I have bought a couple movies that have come with digital copies of the movie itself. I want to put the movies on my blackberry. I follow the instructions to download the movie no problem.

It's downloading as a .wmv file which not only will the blackberry media player not play, but it's a huge file anyway.

When running the file through Blackberry Video Converter, I get a bunch of errors. I tried downloading other converters that can convert wmv to .mp4 or .avi, but when running the files through those programs it says the file I'm trying to convert doesn't have the proper codecs to it. (Thank GOd they were free trial downloads.)

My questions are simple, aren't the digital copies of movies meant to be played on your music/video devices? Has anyone successfully put a digital copy of a DVD on there blackberry Media Card? If so, how in the world did you do it, and can you help me?

Thanks
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    You can do it but you DO have to find a converter that will successfully convert the videos to a format the BB can play. I've always found the conversion process kind of "cheesy" even though what I was trying to convert was in the form of a DVD that I had bought.

It's been a while since I did it. I looked on the internet for free video converters - that's probably why the "cheesy" experience - tried a few until I found one that worked. IMO and it takes more time than I'm willing to spend. Sorry I can't be more help with specifics. Maybe a Pinstack video fan who has done this recently can give you more specific help.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Well the converters I've found online do convert to formats the blasckberry can play. I can play .avi, .3gp, and .mp4

Problem is blackberry video converter looks like the encoder is working but if you read what its doing it keeps throwing up errors. And the other converters keep saying it won't even try it because it doesn't have the rigth codecs to it.

So you're saying theres a converter out there that WILL do it? Guess I'm just going to keep looking. I don't mind the wait, because once I get it I'll ber using alot of it.

How about converting the video to the right format, then putting your media card in your P-C and copy and pasting it to the card? I think that will work. I'm not familiar with the BB video converter.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Well thats exactly what I'm trying to do. When the video downloaded it was in a .wmv format. Blackberry doesn't play that, only Windows Media Player. Blackberry Video converter, what it does is converts the video using an mencoder (which honestly, I don't know too much about either, so I don't know how it works.) But you can put the video in a Pearl, Curve, or 8700 format, change volume, all that good stuff. Once converted, it exports to the desired folder as an .avi format.

Perfect example, I have Kung Fu Panda from limwire which downloaded as an .mp4 format. Blackberry can play it, but it was also 400+mb. I ran it through Video Converter, it popped out the right resolution accustomed to the Pearl, as an .avi format, and it was only about 100mb.

I don't know the technical stuff on how it works or why it does what it does, I just know I've used it before on many occasions, but for the DVDs that come with digital copies, it won't do it... and so far neither do the other free trial converters I've tried. I'm so bummed right now J...

Justyn,

I think we're talking the same language but, if Blackberry Video Converter isn't working for you, I was suggesting trying another. I don't get into whether something converts to 400mb or 100mb. I have an 8gm card and if I can get a successful conversion, that's about all I care about.

As you can see, I'm not a video expert of any kind. I just load one on my phone for reference once in a while. I have done movies but watching a movie on anything smaller than a P-C screen is about all I can stand any more.

Try this package. I've had some luck with it. It has a little of everything in it - you have to know what you want to do but it seems that you do so you should be fine.

cestlavie77 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I used a program called "Handbrake" to convert my movie files to mp4 for my Bold. It's a free dl that was recommended to me by another bb user. Just be sure you adjust the picture settings to fit your phone (the Bold is 480x320). It took a while to process but once it was done I simply transferred the converted movie file to my memory card and it works perfectly!
    Last edited by cestlavie77; 12-10-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: broken link

PIN/ID
    n/a
    jblackfish -
    I really appreciate all the help you've given, even though we're both a little clueless about how to convert this video. I went to the link and downloaded a couple programs. One of them actually looked like it was working and converting, but after several attempts I kept getting the same message: "An error has occured and this application needs to be shut down." The other couple apps I tried said "File Format Not Supported."

cestlavie77 -
    Thanks for chiming in, tried your link and there's nothing there. Page not found is displayed. Maybe the site was torn down or just not the right link?

Thanks for you help so far guys... but I'm beginning to think that the digital copies of movies are only meant to be viewed on the PC, MAC, and unfortunately iPhones and iPods (since there's a "Download to iTunes" option.)

ANy other ideas? I'm open to suggestions. Anyone else want to chime in and let me know if you got it to work and how, or if it's not possible? Appreciate it guys!

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Well I did some digging. And after 10 minutes of web searching and 2 sugar free jello snack cups, I came across this thread,
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/dig...-storm-112067/

You guys should read it.

It mentions an app that will solve the problem, I downloaded it, however to get it to do what I wanted it to I would have to pay for it. Otherwise, it sounds like it's impossible.

Though the person in the link was using BlueRay, it's the same concept. It's not going to happen guys. I'm bummed to no end now. Guess instead of buying dvds, I'm going to have to start buying digital movies from a blackberry-movie site I saw. Until then, thanks for all of your efforts to help me.

cestlavie77 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sorry the link didn't work..... just google "Handbrake" and you'll get hits. I think I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I believe my files were AVI before I converted them to mp4 & the correct resolution. I've got "Step Brothers", "Wedding Crashers", and "Night at the Museum" on my BlackBerry..... keeps the kids quiet when waiting for appointments!! Good luck to you!!

pblakney no está en línea Stack level 2
    Try AVS4YOU.com and look at the operation options they have. I tried it on an AVI conversion to M4V to play on my Storm. The trial or free version puts a water mark on the file but at least you can see if it works. If you choose to purchase they give you an unlock code. So far it does work and have many options and is windows safe. Try it out first.

PB

PIN/ID
    n/a
    None of this will work guys. I tried downloading this movie when I got it last year and I put the code in but it got deleted. So it's downloaded again, but one of the programs I was going to use to properly convert it asked me to enter in the code again, and apparently you can only enter it once. Too bad it's copywritten, I'd ask someone to send it to me. But that's the point of copywrites, right? Don't steal, buy!!! Thanks for all your help.

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    PM me I have a sample copy of total video converter this is what I have been using to covert movies to my bb. It works awesome! It has a specific setting for Blackberry's too to make it easier!

dts51 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask ;-)
    Is it possible to transfer the speed racer sample vid included on the Bold to the SD card? I would like to free up that space on the device, but would like to keep that video sample cuz man that just shows what the bold can do with correct video encoding, and makes for a good demo. I haven't been able to figure it out.
    "May fortune favor the foolish" ...... Captain James T. Kirk