Hi. After a less than brilliant start with the Storm I have now sorted my ... BlackBerry Multimedia forum

DarkScribe no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Apparent limit on number of MP3's

Advertisement

Hi. After a less than brilliant start with the Storm I have now sorted my problems out out the extent that I have bought one for my wife. They are great phones (when you add a Bluetooth keyboard for long messages) but I have discovered a problem that I don't seem to be able to find previously mentioned on Google etc.

Both phones have the 8GB cards and both have a selection of MP3s, different on my wife's and on mine - we have slightly different tastes. What is puzzling is that when I loaded under one thousand MP3s everything is fine, but once I go over twelve hundred there are problems. I had some spare time so a loaded a playlist of fifteen hundred songs onto each phone. Different playlists. After three days of fiddling, I can't get either phone to scan/register more than either 1211 or 1259 songs, even though they only total 6.6GB and fit easily onto the media card. I have changed cards, changed playlists, re-formated the phones, but whatever I do, the phone will stop at 1211 songs, missing those that are alphabetically above mid C to A in song titles. If I do a battery pull and reboot,the count then goes to 1259. If I drop back to around 1100 songs, everything is fine. It seems to definitely be a software indexing problem, the song files are present on the card.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Jeff
    Last edited by DarkScribe; 03-12-2009 at 11:10 PM.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Wow... Seems like you're pushing it to the max there...

I have not read of any such limitation, but this does call for some investigating from the bb site in my spare time...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    what os are you running?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    what os are you running?
    Hi. I am still on 4.7.0.78 - I have a reluctance to put an unofficial Beta version of an OS on what is for me and my wife, an essential business tool. I will be pleased when RIM finally gets to upgrade it.

Coincidentally, in the time between when I posted and now, I have discovered how to cure the problem - though not why it occurred. I removed the "Slacker" app. As soon as I did all songs showed in the menu. It occurred to me that I had downloaded Slacker between the time I first set up the Storms with the thousand of so song lists and when I tried to extend them. As soon as I removed Slacker, without doing anything else, the index showed the missing songs.

New software - probably still has a few glitches. Phone seems to have sped up a little too, Slacker apparently took a bit of processor time even when not being used. When I tried to delete it, although it was not running I got a warning message that it was "in use".

I am happy now, I have my own song list, I don't really need Slacker - I have something similar through my service provider (Vodafone - and at a monthly fee) that includes video and Television as well as one million songs.

Cheers

Jeff

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Just an fyi jeff,

A beta OS isn't a beta OS because it's still pending a final release... Its considered a beta because none of the carriers have piced it up yet...

Think of it as your organization not upgrading to vista because they're just happy with windows98 but xp and vista are available in the market...

I've been running successfully on unoffical OS for the longest time just as many many others...

Not forcing you or anything, just my opinion... I can definitely understand how valuable a primary business communication device is...

Interesting fix with slacker, wonder why it would cause that... And maybe someday someone will figure that out... (Or maybe it'll be a mystery forever... )

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    Just an fyi jeff,

A beta OS isn't a beta OS because it's still pending a final release... Its considered a beta because none of the carriers have piced it up yet...

Think of it as your organization not upgrading to vista because they're just happy with windows98 but xp and vista are available in the market...

I've been running successfully on unoffical OS for the longest time just as many many others...

Not forcing you or anything, just my opinion... I can definitely understand how valuable a primary business communication device is...

Interesting fix with slacker, wonder why it would cause that... And maybe someday someone will figure that out... (Or maybe it'll be a mystery forever... )

My concern is the large WARNING! note included with the Storms from Vodafone indicating that use of unauthorised OS or software will void all warranty.

I have just reloaded Slacker now that the playlist is recognised and they are still there and Slacker is working. It seems that whatever the glitch is it only affects the initial loading of large playlists, not the operation of them. Slacker integrates with the Storm's media player so I guess that is where the problem lies. I'll update if anything further occurs but although the answer is convoluted the problem seems to be solved.

Cheers

Jeff

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    My concern is the large WARNING! note included with the Storms from Vodafone indicating that use of unauthorised OS or software will void all warranty.

I have just reloaded Slacker now that the playlist is recognised and they are still there and Slacker is working. It seems that whatever the glitch is it only affects the initial loading of large playlists, not the operation of them. Slacker integrates with the Storm's media player so I guess that is where the problem lies. I'll update if anything further occurs but although the answer is convoluted the problem seems to be solved.

Cheers

Jeff
    Oh wow... I think that might be the first I've heard of an official warning against warranties... I guess I wouldn't want to mess with that either...

Can you take a pic and post the warning in here... (I'm just curious)...

As far as the slacker radio issue... Going in the weird books for me... (There's many weird books... )

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    Oh wow... I think that might be the first I've heard of an official warning against warranties... I guess I wouldn't want to mess with that either...

Can you take a pic and post the warning in here... (I'm just curious)...

As far as the slacker radio issue... Going in the weird books for me... (There's many weird books... )
    No, it isn't a warning "against" warranties, it is a warning that using an OS that isn't supplied through Vodafone Australia will void the Vodafone warranty if the phone subsequently develops a problem. If the phone is returned under warranty with an unofficial OS they won't service it free of charge. It is a part of the network contract that has a separate signature area to make sure you can't deny knowing of the stipulation. The phone can't be modified in any way, can't use third party batteries or chargers, can't be opened up. They have the same sort of thing for their iPhones - jailbreak them and you have no warranty. I am surprised that it isn't the same in the States.

Cheers

Jeff

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Well all that is standard... Which means if you switch back to the original OS before sending it in for warranty, it'll work... (That's if you're able to restore the previous OS)...

I'm not sure if its like that in the states, but then again haven't been there in a year...

Its definately risky... So I guess stick with what you got...

turner78 no está en línea Stack level 1

Slacker

The reason Slacker did what it did is simple. Slacker makes stations available off-line by "caching" the stations. In order to do this it "reserves" a certain portion of available memory on your device. Thats why you were not able to use all of the available memory on the card, because slacker had some of it reserved for its caching.
    Last edited by GaryF; 03-13-2009 at 11:25 AM.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Turner that doesn't make sense at all...

Jeff said that the songs were all on there, but the media app wouldn't recognize past a certain number... Ne never said his memory card ran out of space n couldn't add more songs...

Its a matter of the media app not being able to populate the entire list of existing songs...

turner78 no está en línea Stack level 1

slacker

Read the second line of the second paragraph, I think YOU are misunderstanding the issue.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Do me a favor n quote it for me... I'm on wap and lines are going to show up differently...

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by turner78 View Post
    The reason Slacker did what it did is simple, you obviously didn't read anything on slacker before installing did you? Slacker makes stations available off-line by "caching" the stations. In order to do this it "reserves" a certain portion of available memory on your device. Thats why you were not able to use all of the available memory on the card, because slacker had some of it reserved for its caching.
    No, Slacker offers you the option of caching, it needs to be selected, but that isn't the issue. If memory was reserved it would not be available, and it definitely was. I had more than two gigs still available on the device - far more than Slacker would need even if I was caching - which I am not. Slacker works very differently outside the US and Canada, as it states during install - I am in Australia. I can only stream through a proxy.

It is now working fine, 1500 mp3s and slacker re-installed. The problem was that it inhibited the system registering the full quantity of installed songs, not that it lacked memory to load them. Even with all the songs installed I still have sufficient memory to load a couple of full length movies - each around 700MB - without affecting either slacker of the system's ability to play musical media.

Cheers

Jeff