I just bought the new 8300 curve thinking I would be able to use it ... BlackBerry Multimedia forum

johnanderson no está en línea Stack level 1

8300 Curve audible.com books

Advertisement

I just bought the new 8300 curve thinking I would be able to use it with my audible account. I have found out that none of the blackberry devices are directly supported and you have to use a java applet called audibleair to get to your books. The problem with this is the books have to be downloaded in the highest quality setting which takes up too much memory and time. I called Audible and they told me that they have tried several times to get blackberry to work with them on direct device support and blackberry/rim has refused. Does anyone know how to petition blackberry to ask them to please work with audible so the product will be more user friendly?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: 8300 Curve audible.com books

What amount of memory are we looking at? Do you have a 2gb Flash installed?

W42
    W42 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2405D144

I've just gotten my 8300 and am fighting with Audible Air. I can only download the first 1.5 MB of books, and the player only plays about 30 seconds of audio, stops and then get locked in a Buffer... loop and never plays. I'm using a 2gb card and have tried direct from the phones memory as well. No Joy.

I've contacted Audible and gotten a "format your memory card", "try a diffent program" answer but no real assistance. If playing Audible is an important part of your BB purchase decision, think twice. The AudibleAir software for the 8300 does not work as yet.

If others have had success with AudibleAir and an 8300 I'd love to hear from you!!

BBsBB no está en línea Stack level 1

Success (mostly...)

This describes how I got my Curve to play Audible.com (.aa) files.

Environment:
    PC - Windows 2000 (SP2), Audible Manager, BB Desktop Manager
    BB - v4.2.2.89, Audible Player, 2GB Memory Card

Issues:
    Although I'm able to play .aa files via the Audible Player on my Curve, I'm still experiencing slight buffering (3-5 seconds) when I first play the file and on any rewind or fast-forward. Also, getting some stuttering in the audio and the occasional (but very rare) blank spot that can last up to 5 min. I find that the blank spots will occur in the same position in the file until I play with the fast-forward and rewind while in the blank spot. If I fiddle with it enough the blank spot will eventually play.

Steps:

Note 1: I got all information on how to do this at Audible.com --> click Help --> type "blackberry" in the Search by Keyword box. The Answer ID's mentioned below are as I found them in Audible.com help.

Note 2: I did NOT use the AudibleAir wireless download to get these files on my Curve (5 minutes real time to download 5 minutes of play time of a 7 hour book is just insanity. I have no idea why they even offer this.)

1. Follow the steps in Audible.com Answer ID 3556 - "Manually installing the Java AudibleAir application via the Blackberry Desktop Manager"

2. Follow the steps in Audible.com Answer ID 3578 - "Transferring Audible content to the Blackberry via Windows Explorer and the Blackberry MediaManager"

Note 2.a: I'm not sure why the BB Media Manager is mentioned as it seems they direct you to open it but not to use it.

Note 2.b: Be sure to create the folders; "music/audible" at the top level of your media card and not within any existing folder structure. When I initially performed Step 2, I already had the existing folder structure "blackberry/music" on my media card. This is where I initially created the "audible" folder and the Audible Player was not able to see the file there.

3. With your curve disconnected from the PC, start the Audible Player by clicking the icon on your BB home screen --> once the app is open click BB menu button and click My Library --> once in My Library, use the BB track ball (side to side - not up and down) to move to "Local Playlists" in the green bar at the top of the screen (the other green bar selections I have are "Books" and "Subscriptions") --> select a book you have copied to your curve from Step 2 (above) by clicking it with trackball.

Note 3.a: If Step 3 doesn't work you can always try a hard start (i.e., remove battery) and then try Step 3 again.

Good Luck!!! Hope this works for you.
    Last edited by BBsBB; 09-07-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Methril no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2429CF10

Thanks for the walkthrough, BBsBB.

Below is a link to some questions I had regarding pesky permission requests when trying to start up Audible Air on an 8310, in case anyone has answers:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...n_request.html

I used the OTA install for the app and will try re-installing with apploader to see if that changes anything.

mobilenik no está en línea Stack level 1
    You could check out this audible book player - you have to copy the files onto the SD card, but it plays them easily . . .

Just search for Simple Book Player from Kavod software on Handango . . .

TommyTwista no está en línea Stack level 1

Once set up with Audible Air, just use the My Computer feature to transfer!

The Step 1 was unnecesary with the new audible software. I just had audible send an sms to my 8310 after having identified my carrier. I then had to respond to the sms with "read" and it sent me the link to the software download, which I then activated in the next sms. After having installed it, I opened a "my computer" screen on my desktop and created a folder, after having connect my BB, per instructions in note 2b (excellent!). I then just drag and drop the files that I have downloaded from Audible to my desktop from my desktop to the folder in my BB. Very simple once it's been set up.

Finally, after having paid $10 for that piece of junk Simple Book Player, I have something that works!

Quote Originally Posted by BBsBB View Post
    Success (mostly...)

This describes how I got my Curve to play Audible.com (.aa) files.

Environment:
    PC - Windows 2000 (SP2), Audible Manager, BB Desktop Manager
    BB - v4.2.2.89, Audible Player, 2GB Memory Card

Issues:
    Although I'm able to play .aa files via the Audible Player on my Curve, I'm still experiencing slight buffering (3-5 seconds) when I first play the file and on any rewind or fast-forward. Also, getting some stuttering in the audio and the occasional (but very rare) blank spot that can last up to 5 min. I find that the blank spots will occur in the same position in the file until I play with the fast-forward and rewind while in the blank spot. If I fiddle with it enough the blank spot will eventually play.

Steps:

Note 1: I got all information on how to do this at Audible.com --> click Help --> type "blackberry" in the Search by Keyword box. The Answer ID's mentioned below are as I found them in Audible.com help.

Note 2: I did NOT use the AudibleAir wireless download to get these files on my Curve (5 minutes real time to download 5 minutes of play time of a 7 hour book is just insanity. I have no idea why they even offer this.)

1. Follow the steps in Audible.com Answer ID 3556 - "Manually installing the Java AudibleAir application via the Blackberry Desktop Manager"

2. Follow the steps in Audible.com Answer ID 3578 - "Transferring Audible content to the Blackberry via Windows Explorer and the Blackberry MediaManager"

Note 2.a: I'm not sure why the BB Media Manager is mentioned as it seems they direct you to open it but not to use it.

Note 2.b: Be sure to create the folders; "music/audible" at the top level of your media card and not within any existing folder structure. When I initially performed Step 2, I already had the existing folder structure "blackberry/music" on my media card. This is where I initially created the "audible" folder and the Audible Player was not able to see the file there.

3. With your curve disconnected from the PC, start the Audible Player by clicking the icon on your BB home screen --> once the app is open click BB menu button and click My Library --> once in My Library, use the BB track ball (side to side - not up and down) to move to "Local Playlists" in the green bar at the top of the screen (the other green bar selections I have are "Books" and "Subscriptions") --> select a book you have copied to your curve from Step 2 (above) by clicking it with trackball.

Note 3.a: If Step 3 doesn't work you can always try a hard start (i.e., remove battery) and then try Step 3 again.

Good Luck!!! Hope this works for you.