Hello everyone. I'm a newbie when it comes to Blackberries and the more I read ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

tech-medic no está en línea Stack level 2

New 7290 User (Plan and Options Question)

Hello everyone.

I'm a newbie when it comes to Blackberries and the more I read the more I get confused.

Currently I have Microsoft Exchange 2003 with Push Email through Windows Mobile 6.

I have 2 main questions with regards to the 7290:

1) Am I correct to understand that I must have BES in order to sync my PIM over the air?

Leads to another question...

2) If I need BES, how expensive is that? I buy my exchange services through 1and1 and their website says that they do not support BB. Does that mean that I'm a no go on the push PIM?

3) If I do not use BES, how does blackbery email "push"...must I forward all my mail to my blackberry address?

I'm trying to read up on the technology side of it and I have a few friends in IT and the more I learn the more I want to drink.

The phone will primarily be a backup, so if I cant get true push email, so be it. I'll mainly use it for voice calls, text and backup if I drop my Cingular 8525 (again).

Thanks all for reading and answering.

And wow...what a resource this site is!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: New 7290 User (Plan and Options Question)

1) Yes. You need a BlackBerry Enterprise Server or Hosted BlackBerry Enterprise Server for wireless sync.

2). It depends on how many minutes are packaged with the data. Some don't have any minutes. If your carrier does not support it, you can unlock your phone to use it with a carrier who offers BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

3) The BlackBerry Internet Service pushes email to the device.