Hi all, I brought a 7290 second hand and it looks like it doesn't want ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

wombatau no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2020A890

Thumbs down Major Problem with 7290

Advertisement

Hi all,

I brought a 7290 second hand and it looks like it doesn't want to work for me. When I plug it into the USB to power it up, the screen doesn't light up and all I get is the red led flashing 4 times intermittently. When it's been charged, it does the same thing - although I can't really tell when it's charged, I just have to guess. The problem is independant from my SIM card.

This seriously sucks. I haven't opened it up, but it doesn't smell of burned electronics or anything. Just smells like a regular blackberry.

Any ideas?

-Adam

CoolFinalFan no está en línea Stack level 4

Arrow

try pulling the battery out and doing a re-set
    Hope this helps!!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    wombatau, You might try the following, Since it is a dead device right now.

Assuming you have already downloaded the Desktop Manager (DM) software just follow the instructions in the steps and linked threads below. If you haven't installed the DM you can download it from this site, Desktop Software Downloads.

1. Start by Downloading and installing JL_Cmder, see that link for instructions.
    2. Download and execute on your PC the latest software for your BB. See this thread for links to the sofware download site for your carrier, Blackberry OS Software links (by carrier).
    3. Connect you BB to your PC
    4. Open JL_Cmder,
    5. Select the Wipe Option (5)
    6. Follow the instructions in this thread very carefully, How To: ReInstall OS When Computer Won't recognize The Device Is Connected
      • Be sure to follow everything carefully, especially the items in Red

Let us know if this works.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    Hi wombatau, welcome to pinstack. It appears you need to reload the OS for your BB. You are saying it doesnt boot up at all right? Let us know.

PIN/ID
    2020A890
    not only does it not boot up, but the screen never even comes on

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Have you tried the process I posted?

Let us know what all you have tried so far.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    2020A890
    yes, i tried the process you posted and still no luck. when the progran tries to connect to the blackberry, it gets an error. it flashes really quick, but i think it says it can't open the port. if i plug it into my mac though, when i check what's connected to the usb, it identifies itself as rim handheld on usb. doesn't appear to sync or anything else like that. it's the only connection i've managed to be able to get with the damn thing.

so, i began to read pentace's post. first, install what desktop software? the jdm? second, where the heck has the handheld software installed itself in my system? third, in step 5 it says to go to Options and select connection settings... what Options? what connection settings? where?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Well, I just found out why the information I provided won't work. It's designed for use with a PC, not a Mac. Do you have PocketMac 4.0 installed on your Mac? This may take a little experimentation on your part, working with PocketMac. Let us know and will try to help.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    2020A890
    (shakes head) I didn't try and load the software onto Mac OS. I loaded it into Windows XP SP2. I just noticed that the only system that would even recognise my broken blackberry was Mac OS X. And even then, it was only recognised at part of the USB chain. Windows refuses to even recognise that something's attached. And no, there's nothing wrong with the USB... I think I may just call it a loss. No one I've spoken to can pick this one.

I know PocketMac, but I haven't tried it. It isn't exactly what you call diagnostic software, so I see little point. I'll give it a go though, but I expect it won't solve the problem of the blackberry's screen not even turning on.

I think it's time to throw the blackberry in the bin.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    I think you may be right, but I just hate to give up.

Sorry, we couldn't help more.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

SARAH CHILL no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23c788f2

Re: Major Problem with 7290

I had the same problem, I bought one second hand and it did the same thing. I ended up buying another second hand BB and it works fine with the same power cord and usb.