Please feel free to move this to the proper forum if need be. Ive searched ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

Jonnn21 no está en línea Stack level 2

Internet via USB

Advertisement

Please feel free to move this to the proper forum if need be.
    Ive searched all over the site with no luck to this question.

Is there any way to browse the internet via USB. I dont have and dont want (cant afford) the BB service. However as im seeing, you need to use the BB itself if you want to get new images to your phone and be able to use them as wallpapers. This is why i need to access the internet through the USB cable.

I thought I saw somewhere in the options to choose how you want to be able to connect to the internet.
    I cant find that option anymore after I upgraded to 4.1

Thanks peeps

Jon

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Internet via USB

Nope, not really gonna happen. You can go the other way to use the BB as a modem, but you can't use the PC internet connection to browse with the BB.

There is a way to get images and tones to you BB using the Simulator but it's a complicated process and I can't find the link right now.

Sorry
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

Jonnn21 no está en línea Stack level 2

Now dont you agree thats kinda wierd that it doesnt work. Quite honestly the BB service is way to expensive. You would have to be on it all the time to get the use out of it. They need to make these things work good and have the ability to get stuff on them with out without the BB service.

They wont probably as they WANT you to pay for the service.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

No I don't think it's weird that a service needs to be paid for. It costs quite a bit to establish and operate a world wide network. I persomally think the investors are entitled to a reasonable return on that investment.

Rcbjr
    Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

N1tr0u543 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c87f57

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I have to agree with rcbjr on this one, that even though it is money out of pocket, that they are providing their said service. I love my 7520 and from what I hear, nextel and the 7520 are the worst combination of phone and service due to nextels slow network and the 7520s low functionality. But if I may suggest to johnny, you may try to look on a 3rd party electronics store and buy and unlocked blackberry. That's what I was using until moving to a nextel sim card.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Nope, not really gonna happen. You can go the other way to use the BB as a modem, but you can't use the PC internet connection to browse with the BB.

There is a way to get images and tones to you BB using the Simulator but it's a complicated process and I can't find the link right now.

Sorry
    Rcbjr
    Here's how to use the simulator. The quote is mine, from a different thread:
    Sure: Go here http://www.mobile41.com/theme_tools.htm and find JDE 4.1.0. Downloads and installs fast. You may need to install the latest java, but I'm not sure -- the JDE will tell you if you need that particular upgrade.

After installation of the JDE, it works like this: First, backup your content store on your real BB to somewhere on your harddrive where you know what it is. Then unplug the cable.

Second, from your Start menu, start "MDS". A DOS screen will open and it looks like a large BAT file runs. Note: You have to have your internet connection open.

Third, from your Start menu, start "Device Simulator". Another DOS screen opens, and then in a couple of seconds a simulated BB appears. I think, at this point, you can change the simulation to your BB, but I've never had to do it so I'm not sure how -- but it should be eezy. However, I'm 99 percent sure you don't have to have matching units for this to work, since in real life you can back up from one BB and restore to another model.

Fourth, simulate a USB connection. From the top menu on the simulator, choose "Simulate" and then "USB Cable Connection".

Fifth, start your Desktop Manager. It will respond as though the simulation is an actual BB! Then use the Desktop Manager to restore the content store that you backed up in step "First" to the simulation.

Sixth, using the simulation, surf around the internet to pictures/ringtones/etc you may like, and download them to the simulation.

Seventh, use the Desktop Manager to back up the content store from the Simulation. Then shut down all the programs, including MDS, the Simulation, and the desktop manager.

Eighth, connect your real BB via USB to the computer, start Desktop Manager, and restore the content store you backed up from the simulation in step "Seventh".

Voila! Pix and other stuff transferred to your pre-4.2 device!

Note: When you do a restore operation, it always erases current data before restoring. That's why it's essential to back up the real BB into the simulation, then the simulation back into the real BB, so you don't lose the stuff you already have on your real handheld.

All this sounds complicated, but after you do it a couple of times, it's really only a few mouse clicks!
    I think Rim still markets their handhelds to companies more than they do to individuals, so the cost of the data plan(s) is justified in my estimation. But this is half the fun of using a BB -- the creativity of being able to bend rules, finding ways to make your handheld do what you want it to do for you, creating themes, figuring out ways to get downloads to your device when you're not supposed to be able to, etc. etc.

h3m
    h3m no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi

Ok.
    At this time I need a help.

Why there is this adress to theme_tools?? Why I need this, if I realy do??

As I think this is a solution for people who can't get to internet from his BB. I am one of them...
    But...
    I don't have any configs for my bb browser - vendors in country ain't "support" BB. BB is a rare here in civilian hands :P. Also I have a pre-paid BB .

First.
    I run mds but there is no large batch file. Just a MDS studio to create things -keep follwin'?
    Second
    Everything goes just fine till step six. I can't get connection to internet.
    What I get is...
    "Unabel to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service, please try again later"

I realy don't get how to solve problem.

What I installed on my Desktop
    Media Manager 4.2.0.12
    JDE 4.2.1
    JDK 1.5 update 12
    MDS 1.1.1 (file name which I downloaded MDSStudio_41_sp3)
    On BB OS is 4.1.0.292

What should I do ??

TIA

ps. I could just PM Mark Stone, but it's my first post so...
    pss. Sorry for my poor english, aint' native language for me, so....