K I have been searching the internet over and over and have found posts on ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

freespirit no está en línea Stack level 1

Question I'm new here - have Boostberry Question.

Advertisement

K I have been searching the internet over and over and have found posts on this but they are older post so not sure it this can still be done.

Blackerry 7520 using Boost Mobile for Yahoo Messenger and Internet browsing.

Basically I live in the STICKS but on occassion I am required to travel about 2-4 times a year for business. During this time I would need to beable to communicate on Yahoo messenger and do some slight internet browsing.

Average use per year would be about 2 hours - I don't mind paying for the datapackage and keeping the phone active just so I knew it was there when I needed it. Also with my minimal usuage it does not warrant a full cell/data package with a monthly plan. (I can't even get cell service at my house with any carrier a couple miles away but not direct at my house).

So after reading old post I found some that said you can use a Blackberry 7520 with the perpaid boost sim to accomplish what I am wanting.

So I purchased a Blackberry 7520 (almost new they said unlocked with all original packaging etc) and also I ordered a i425T phone with $5.00 credit from Boost to activate the sim and select plan etc. I have not received any of these items but they should arrive in the next few days.

So question is what would I have to do step-by-step please to get this Blackberry on the Boost Network so I could access messenger and web browser?

I think my major problem is that I don't have boost cell service her at my home so, it would be impossible for me to check things out to see if everything is set up correctly. But I know about 40 miles away is Boost service so I could drive to that area to check testing.

It is as simple as installing Opera Mini and then place the active sim in the 7520? would I have to install servce packs etc.?

Testing the OperaMini live demo on their site - I have been able to log into my yahoo messenger account and talk to other workers. It just list me as (I'm mobile) in yahoo messenger. I can also check my work email send and receive from the OperaMini by going to myemail.com and logging in to my pop email account. I could send and read email etc from their (using the OperMini Live Demo on their site) will this work the same on the Blackberry?

I guess Im just lost at this point should I even attempt it? Could someone be so kind as to walk me through the steps of installing OperaMini and anything else I would need to get this to work?

Thank so much and any information would be appreciated. You can send me a private message or post on this site if you like!

Laurie (aka Freespirit)

CoolFinalFan no está en línea Stack level 4

Lightbulb

How do I install Opera Mini on my phone?

There are three download methods available to install Opera Mini on your phone: SMS (via phone text message), WAP (downloading using your existing mobile Web browser) and PC (computer) download.
    • Using the SMS method, you can enter your phone number and receive a short text message with a download link — right on your phone.
    • To download Opera Mini to your phone, visit operamini.com using your phone's existing Web browser, and click on "Download Opera Mini."
    • You can also download Opera Mini to your desktop PC or Mac, and then transfer and install it on your phone via Bluetooth or USB.
    http://www.operamini.com/help/faq/#installation

Thank you,

I will have to do it Desktop - transfer - USB since I cannot get any cell service at my home location.

Is there any other programs I would need to achieve what I am looking for or is OperaMini the only one I will need?

Just looking to browse occassional websites and use Yahoo messenger. So once I activate my SIM from Boost Mobileand pick my package do I just then place that activated SIM in the Blackberry and install OperaMini?

Anything else I should need or required to do?

Thanks for your response.

K question how do I install Opera Mini via cable? The file opera is in - when I try and use Desktop Manager to download application or even sync to dowload the Opera program file it comes up with and error cannot do.

XML syntex error line one -

I have not had a PDA or blackberry or even a phone where I needed to download anything to it. So I am a newbie. I tried the webJAL program also to access the blackberry to install and that just comes up cannot connect all the time.

Im totally lost - please help.

Thank you,

Opps I figured it out my dumb error on my part. All is working fine.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
    ----
    Glad to hear that you got it sorted out.

And please remember, there is no such thing as a dumb error. Only people that sit around doing nothing because they are afraid of making an error....

Cheers!
    via: Red BB 8310

dwnwrdspirl no está en línea Stack level 1
    i'm new here as well and i am wanting to do the same thing you did. there is a guy here in indiana that sells 7520's ready to go for $90 or more and i figured i would just buy one off ebay cheaper and try myself. i do have a few ??? why did you have to buy the other phone? do you have to set up an account with a boost phone first then switch the sim to the BB? There are boost starter kits on ebay with sim and boost card. would these be ok? Really i'm just trying to get away from my $100 a month verizon bill. i don't use near the minutes and i can't change my plan. plus if i can get web browser and im on the BB that would rock my boat. i'm so glad i found this site and i'll be around. thanks! Erich

welll i may have found a partial answer. to activate a new sim card you need the imei number inside the battery compartment. i don't guess the number in a BB7520 will work. correct?

yamezsr no está en línea Stack level 1
    You can activate the sim online and then put it in the blackberry. Blackberrys have long boot times so put the sim in and wait till it boots and u should be good. U cant recieve text messages or surf the web with out one of two things a blackberry accnt or desktop software. With the software you can download opera and even wav players for it instead of mp3. There's software out there to make a boostberry run just as good as a regular bberry with an actual accnt, u just have to be willing to do the home work. I have the 7100i model with a boost chip running opera, and phonepix caller id which plays wav files and lets me assign any wav file as a ringtone. Also if u know alot of people with bberry phones u dont need text because u can send pin messages, an exclusive blackberry feature and its free! So to sum things up I have a boost sim on the $60 plan, which includes free calls anytime between sprint, nextel, and boost phones and free nights and weekends! Hows that for prepaid service!!! And my boostberry works fine! As a matter of fact I if I cant have a blackberry phone I dont want a phone at all. If u aint sayin it on a blackberry, then u aint sayin sh-t or talk is cheap< lol good luck

yamezsr no está en línea Stack level 1
    activate online or another boost phone. It may work but I've never activated a sim using a bberry. Thean just download the desktop software then download the opera program in alx format or it will not work u have to use the dtop sftwre to load a bberry with all the extras but the 7520 is older than the 7100i try to get the latter it has the chirp button as well. I just brought a used one for $100 and it was well worth it! I had a 7520 b4 I had this one I loved it but like the one I have better. Bigger screen, chirp button on the side as opposed to the top, and plenty more features that differ from the 7520. So I say get it. Manuvering will be odd at first but once u get used to it u not gonna want anything else i promise. Plus u know either phone is the workforce standard because u can view a word document, pdf and the likes on any bbeery goodluck. I love my boostberry! cause Im a die hard boost fan (a booster) lol

Quote Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
    what was your error? mine is doing the same thing! help! i can make calls fine but i have no browser. i have opera mini downloaded but can't get it onto the BB. i live in the sticks as well but i can get a signal out on my deck. thanks!