So I have a 7250 from Verizon and where I live there's horrible Verizon coverage. ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

dorqus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23e2fc25

How to disable EVDO on 7250?

Advertisement

So I have a 7250 from Verizon and where I live there's horrible Verizon coverage. Despite numerous calls to them they are not helpful. I know that on my Motorola E815 I could put the phone into test mode and disable EVDO, which helps save on battery life as the phone is not switching between 1X and EVDO mode constantly. Is there any way to disable EVDO on the 7250? It might help the reception and save on the battery life as well.

Thanks!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

PIN/ID
    23e2fc25

Re: How to disable EVDO on 7250?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Anyone? Oh well, odds are I'm getting a K-JAM (t-mobile mda) instead since verizon reception is so bad in my house.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

If you're going to TMO, why not a newer BB, like an 8700, or the 8100.

Just Curious
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    23e2fc25

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ the K-JAM is a "hand me down" from my CEO who got it and didn't like it (and got a 8700) so its free. Otherwise I'd get the 8700.

mcashman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

I contacted Verizon about this issue and their response is as follows:

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. I am happy to assist you with your Broadband (formerly EVDO) signal on your BlackBerry 7250 handset.

I apologize for any inconvenience of your battery draining. I can understand how this could affect the use of your device. Based on your email about disabling the Broadband on your device, this is not possible as it is built into your data plan.

However, to help with your signal and your battery issue, we do suggest updating your Preferred Roaming List(PRL) approximately every 30 days. To update your PRL means that you are updating your handset?s ability to look for our signal as they are updated on our network. Please do so by dialing *22899 from your handset. After 60 seconds you should hear "Your device has been successfully programmed" and your call will end. Also accessing data more than taking calls can affect your battery. If your battery is draining consistently, this might indicate a problem and I suggest contact our Wireless Data Technical Support department. For your convenience we are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our contact number is 1-800-922-0204, select option number 3 for Technical Support.

Our support technician will be able to obtain additional information and perform troubleshooting steps directly with you. We acknowledge that e-mail may be your preferred method of communication and apologize for directing you to call into our department. Direct troubleshooting is the best way to ensure a timely resolution to your issue. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

PIN/ID
    23e2fc25

I've done the *22899 a bunch of times, doesn't help, as I just live in a poor coverage area. I saw another post about downgrading the 7250 to OS 3.7, which does not have EVDO in it, not sure if that will turn my BlackBerry into a bookend however :/ (so I'd rather not go that route)

CAPONE no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    300C099E

Options-network-and it should give you an option to turn EVDO off. That's how it works on my EVDO 7250, anyhow..

PIN/ID
    23e2fc25

All I see in Options -> Network is:
    Network: Verizon Wireless
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Available Networks
    Verizon Wireless H

The only option I have to change is "Network Selection Mode" from Automatic to Home Only.

My OS is version 4.1.0.268 (Platform 2.2.0.112) This is a 7250 for Verizon Wireless.
    If there's a new version of the OS that will let me disable EVDO that would be great.

Thanks!

db869 no está en línea Stack level 2

The only think I can think of is to downgrade the OS to 4.0. Then you will only have 1X coverage instead.

Dave

braz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Quote Originally Posted by dorqus
    So I have a 7250 from Verizon and where I live there's horrible Verizon coverage. Despite numerous calls to them they are not helpful. I know that on my Motorola E815 I could put the phone into test mode and disable EVDO, which helps save on battery life as the phone is not switching between 1X and EVDO mode constantly. Is there any way to disable EVDO on the 7250? It might help the reception and save on the battery life as well.

Thanks!
    Try this type #4357* (from the phone menu) press enter and see what PRL you are on if it starts with a 2 you have the PRL for EVDO. If you can get tech support to push a PRL that starts with the #1 that would remove you from EVDO service.

braz

PIN/ID
    23e2fc25

My PRL is 50619. I was able to upgrade the OS to 4.1.0.309 using a Telstra firmware, Platform 2.2.0.120. I will look for a 4.0.x image and see if that will just put me in 1X mode.

Thanks.

PIN/ID
    23e2fc25

So I downgraded my OS to 4.0.2.41 and was able to put the phone into CDMA only or DIGITAL only mode (and not use EVDO at all)