I have a BlackBerry 7290. I would like to mass delete all of the text ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

crakkbakk no está en línea Stack level 1

How do I MASS DELETE text/sms messages from my BlackBerry?

Advertisement

I have a BlackBerry 7290.

I would like to mass delete all of the text messages.

How do I do this?

Thanks.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: How do I MASS DELETE text/sms messages from my BlackBerry?

I have never used the 7290, but usually you can go into the text message folder and highlight the date and in the menu you have an option to delete prior. Hope its there for you.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

KriK no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: How do I MASS DELETE text/sms messages from my BlackBerry?

It's not quite as simple if you are using a combined mailbox or if you have your call logs in the same inbox as your SMS.

The way I do it to make it simple is this; when you are in your inbox click your trackball/options button (trackball for 87xx and older devices) select the search option.

Next scroll all the way down to the bottom of the search page and there should be an option there that says "Type" change this option to SMS or Text.

Click the trackwheel/options button again or press the enter button. Select search and you should see all of your SMS/Text messages in your inbox but it should be exlcusively SMS/Text.

Scroll to the very top of the page to the date above your most current SMS (on QWERTY devices you can do this by pressing the t button.) and click your trackwheel/options button again. You will see an option that says Delete Prior.

If you select this option you will delete everything on that page below your selected date.

Good luck!

clipper314 no está en línea Stack level 1
    thank you so much for this guideline, I trully did not know how to mass delete my sms's in one single go

bdummie no está en línea Stack level 1
    Does the above approach instructed by KriK remove ALL SMS/Text messages?

How can I ensure there is no trace of SMS/Text messages? That is, I need to remove them from the SIM card, the SD card, phone memory .... everywhere!

Please advise.

pearlymae no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yes it does delete all sms from the device memory. Unless you have some saved. You can check in messages-push in the track wheel- select view folder-then you will see all sms folders-one will say sms sim card inbox- open that and delete the same as above- check all other folders . As far as the sd the sms messages to not auto store to an sd- and the 7290 doesn't have an sd slot!

gman66 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I understand how to delete the text and emails from my phone, but does that delete them from the phone company servers, etc.? is there any way to delete them so that no one could ever retreaved them?

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by gman66 View Post
    I understand how to delete the text and emails from my phone, but does that delete them from the phone company servers, etc.? is there any way to delete them so that no one could ever retreaved them?
    unfortunately....no. However, most carriers will have a limited space that can be used to archive messages, so the more messages that are archived the quicker they are overwritten. I've read that some messages can be kept from a few days up to a few years, I guess it depends on your carrier.
    Last edited by RayZ; 12-27-2009 at 08:02 PM.

really? the phone company wants to store all the data from millions of text every day?

Yes, by law they must keep the messages, but the only way to retrieve them is through a subpoena. There are many court cases that have been based on retrieved text messages. If you keep a back of of your device then that can be subpoenaed also.

hmmm, i was reading an article about the mayor of detroit I think, and he got busted for having an affair, using the work phone. In the article, it said that depending on the phone/carreer, they would be saved for 48 hours to two weeks. So you saying that that is incorrect and they keep the text for ever?

No, not forever...read what I said in post #8....it depends on the carrier how long they keep them. I believe that there is a set length of time that they must keep them. This has been a debate for some time.

so i have a blackberry, with AT&T, I would assume that they have a ton of text, emails, etc. so prob not sticking around too long?

no, I would say not too long...but you never know lol