I originally started out with the JVM error 102 problem and have followed the steps ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

crabby117 no está en línea Stack level 1

how long does "initializing" take?

Advertisement

I originally started out with the JVM error 102 problem and have followed the steps to wipe it (7520) with the java utility. I've downloaded the lastest DM and Nextel's software suite. Wiping was successful because I get the 507 screen.

I have had to use the instructions to install the OS when the device is not recognized, i.e. remove the battery. The DM is finding the device at the correct port. When I start the App install process, initially the device has no display at all. When it finishes the first step of "Load JVM and system software" I then get a battery symbol on the screen with a red line through it. Makes sense since the battery is removed. And I gather that since the display does change at this point every time, the software IS communicating with the device.

It goes to the second step where it says "Wait for device initialization" and stays there forever. I've let it run for over an hour and given up only to start the process all over again with the same results. I can't get past this step. How long is initializing supposed to take? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: how long does "initializing" take?

Hello Crabby and Welcome to the Stacks. The initializing process should not take all that long. How many times have you tried the process. I recall that the instructions for installing the OS when the device is not recognized indicate that you may have to run the process a few times. I would try it one more time, taking your time to follow the steps precisely.

If you click on the JVM 102 error fix link in my signature, all of the steps are outlined there. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Well, I tried it out a few times, each time the process hung up at the initializing step. I just ended up taking the unit to Nextel and they sent the unit back to BB. They said the JVM Error 102 problem was quite common. I didn't have any problem using the java utility to wipe out the unit. That util is pretty handy. Hopefully I won't need it again, but if I do, I know where to come. Thanks again!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by crabby117
    Well, I tried it out a few times, each time the process hung up at the initializing step. I just ended up taking the unit to Nextel and they sent the unit back to BB. They said the JVM Error 102 problem was quite common. I didn't have any problem using the java utility to wipe out the unit. That util is pretty handy. Hopefully I won't need it again, but if I do, I know where to come. Thanks again!
    BTW, sorry, I wasn't on here yesterday, but to answer your question (for future reference) when you are installing the OS with the battery out, you HAVE to reconnect the battery once the initial wipe of the device begins with the battery out or atleast at some point BEFORE the computer tries to reinitialize the device.

When it goes to reinitalize the device, it's going to boot it completely up, and without the battery in it, the USB cable doesn't provide enough power for the device to boot up, thus you sit at your screen wondering why it's not initializing...

Just wanted to let you know in case it happens again...I experienced it on my own before finally realizing that was the case.

Thanks N8DBB. I'll remember that for future reference.