I am new to the forum. I am trying to find out how to block ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

lilmouse no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B58D6B

Email question

Advertisement

I am new to the forum. I am trying to find out how to block unwanted emails. I think I am getting spam on my blackberry account. I keep getting emails with attachments from unknown sources. I would hate for anything bad to happen to my handheld as a result of this. If you have any ideas how I can block spam emails, I'd appreciate the help.
    Christina

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Re: Email question

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Welcome to Pinstack. Im bumping your post back up to the top.

I believe you need to set up a filter thru your BIS account to stop them. But someone with more knowledge will have to explain how.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

john is right, but just like him...im not sure how to go about doing that. sorry

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

By law each email has to contain a link to opt out, or discontinue the unwanted emails. I dealt with this a while back and the process is lengthy, but you have to first try to opt out, if that doesnt work after 30 days you have to forward the email to the FCC or something like that and they will pursue the matter.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Is this for a "free-mail" account?

Instead of setting up a filter to not deliver messages, try using a filter to only deliver messages from approved senders. And then set your BIS to never deliver messages as the default.

The BIS will poll your email inbox for new unread messages, and then deliver only the messages from addresses you have pre-defined in the filter.

I would suggest using a dummy email account for signing up to mailing lists, and not use this account with your BB. Screen your friends too; if someone is notorious for forwarding (krap) emails, with dozens or hundreds of recipients, give them your junkmail address. No matter the list, eventually you will get spam.

lilmouse no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B58D6B

This has been a challenge for me. How can I set up a filter to only deliver messages from approved senders?

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

I have a 3rd party email system(earthlink) that goes to my BB. i have my spam filters set to high.... I have had it for 3 years now as my primary so i do get spam garbage but my filters are set so high that it catches all of it unless i go in and add their email address to my approved senders list...then and only then does it arrive to my BB. it's a process but is saves me a ton of headaches too.
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

To make filters, log into your BIS account, and for the email address, choose filters. From there you can add a list of approved senders. You can have multiple addresses separated with commas.

Make sure to change your email account to "do not forward messages to handheld". However, on the filters, send to handheld.

Hope this works for you!

But as Suzzy mentioned above, if your mail server can filter spam, that would be the best place to do this.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

testing

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Test read