Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello - This is my first post and hope that I'm not asking the same ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

Invisy no está en línea Stack level 1

Connecting my laptop with bluetooth

Advertisement

Hello - This is my first post and hope that I'm not asking the same question that has already been answered. I have AT&T and recently bought a laptop and wanted to connect through WIFI however, I soon found out that the only wifi servers available are asking for a username and password. I spoke to ATT about adding the wifi service and they suggested that I tether with my bluetooth and my blackberry. I have been trying for most of the night to figure this thing out and just can't seem to get my laptop to recognize my blackberry. I have the RIM BlackBerry 7290 GSM PDA Cell Phone and am at a complete loss. Is there anyone that might be able to tell me step by step how to get this thing working? I am also using Windows 7 and am not sure if this matters or not but I have a bluetooth. This is soooo confusing :cry:

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Make sure your device is "discoverable". Don't remember the sequence on the 7290, but probably Options>Bluetooth. You have to pair the device and your laptop before you do anything.

AT&T requires a tethering plan in order to tether the BlackBerry to your laptop, but they probably failed to mention that to you. There are ways to tether withOUT the data plan. You can set up a modem so that you can tether with a USB cable, or you can purchase an application to tether via USB or Bluetooth. I use a product called Tether (www.tether.com). Great little app. I'll post back with instructions for setting up the modem.

Here are instructions for tethering via the standard modem on your laptop.

You'll first need to have the Desktop Manager open.

Next, depending on if you're running XP, Vista, or 7, you need to make your way to the Standard Modem.

1. Open your start menu and go to run (if on XP) or in the Search box towards the bottom of the start menu.
    2. Type in devmgmt.msc
    3. Expand the modem list.
    4. Right click the Standard Modem and select properties.
    5. Click on the advanced tab and key in the following initialization string: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"
    6. Create a dial-up connection with Standard Modem as the selected device.
    7. Login name: wap@cingulargprs.com
    8. Password: CINGULAR1 (notice the capital letters)
    9. Phone number: *99***1#
    10. Start the dial-up.

You will need to have BlackBerry Desktop Manager open as this will not work otherwise

Hi RogerG! Thanks for your help with this. I followed your instructions on your second post but I still can't get my Laptop to recognize my blackberry. It's paired to my bluetooth and its set for discoverable but I don't know how to pair them.. sorry for being so stupid about this. Any ideas? Also, I'm getting the free trial from www.tether.com

So you have or do not have your BlackBerry and laptop paired?

Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Devices and Printers>Add a Bluetooth Device

I don't. When I try to search for it, it just sits there with this message.

"searching for device.... Make sure your device is discoverable"

and then it just sits there but never says it finds it or doesn't find it..
    Last edited by Invisy; 02-16-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: more detail

Okay, use the instructions above in post 6.

Hi Invisy, welcome to our merry band of BlackBerry misfits! Unfortunately, I do have bad news, and that is the 7290 Bluetooth is specifically designed to only pair with Bluetooth headsets, and not computers or other handhelds. The reason is that the 7290 and many other earlier models of BB were designed for business use primarily, and did not come with any multimedia capabilities at all. Therefore, not seeing the need to transfer pictures and mp3s between the 7290 and computers, they coded the OS to use bluetooth for headsets only. I have seen claims here and there that this restriction can be circumvented, but it hasn't been demonstrated to my knowledge. The earliest BlackBerry that is able to pair with another device and to a computer is the 8700 series, but only if they have OS 4.5 installed. 8700s in excellent condition are running $40 or so at Ebay . . . Again, welcome to the forum!

Thanks to you both for the help. I'm really disappointed that this blackberry isn't going to work.

Thanks for your help, Mark!

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    As others have said, welcome to the forum. I agree with the post about the 7290 not working with tethering. I also wanted to point out that since the 7290 is limited to GPRS connectivity, you would probably be very unhappy with the throughput attainable on a GPRS signal. It would be worlds slower than dial-up...

Do you have other options for connecting your laptop to the internet? There are some really neat options available these days if you can spend a bit of money.
    I'm a born again Androider

I don't know what other options are available to me. I currently have it connected with an ethernet cable but want to use it at work via wifi or tethering or however I can actually, I just am not sure how to do it or where to get started. Any suggestions?

Can't you purchase an air card and data package through AT&T?

Well, my laptop is WIFI ready but AT&T said I would need a laptop data connect plan in order to connect to the internet. He then said that my LG Neon wouldn't work and that I would need a blackberry in order to connect and now here we are lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast