Hi, IS there a way to disable the blackberry browser so users don't use it, ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

Norton no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry Browser

Advertisement

Hi,

IS there a way to disable the blackberry browser so users don't use it, we use BES 4.0. Thnaks

Norton

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Blackberry Browser

You can delete the service books for the browser. OR hide the actual icon from the home screen. I am not sure of another way. Maybe a knowledgeble BES admin will chime in here shortly

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by Norton
    Hi,

IS there a way to disable the blackberry browser so users don't use it, we use BES 4.0. Thnaks

Norton
    Welcome to Pinstack, Norton. There is a way for the BES Admin to do this using an IT Policy. I think there is a Guide posted on how to do this but it will take me a few minutes to find the link.

Edit: well I didn't find what I was looking for, Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on BES will come along and explain it.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Heather no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: Blackberry Browser

The following was has been tested and configured on BES 4.0.2.8 for Exchange users but offered at no guarantee.

1. If you wish only to "disable" the browser then this can be acheived by disabling the Mobile Data Service on the BES itself. In this scenario the icon is still present on the device, users will get errors when trying to use it.

2. If you wish to take the icon away, configure the following options on your IT Policy.

Enable WAP=False
    Allow Browser=False (disallows use/removes icon of the default BlackBerry Browser using MDS)
    Allow IBS-True (allows use of the Internet Browser provided by the Carrier)

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Heather, Welcome to PinStack. And thanks for the solution. It's alwas great when a "First Post" helps out.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Deadeye no está en línea Silent Stacker

I have just followed these steps on our BES server, and created a new policy. This seems to work fine in that the Browser vanishes from the handhelds. However users can still access Internet links sent in emails, or typed into notes etc.

Does anyone know of a way to block all internet browsing on a Blackberry, while maintaining the email (BES Server) capabilities. Basically our operations director is wanting to block browsing for users as there are high international charges for use.

Thanks

mjw
    mjw no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    249D663E
    As far as blocking internet access I am not 100% sure but if you allow the Blackberry browser you can configure it to use a proxy setting.. ( this is where you get the network people involved) Then they can block sites .,

Don't know if that helps

I am interested in blocking Blackberry users from downloading software such as mobile facebook.. if anyone has ideas on this

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    you can set up the security feature and require a pass word to install applications...goto... options ...security ..general settings...prompt on application install = yes.then it will promt to set the password..
    hope this will help