I bought a BB 7290,new Li Battery, and chargers on Ebay. Recieved items on Saturday ... Blackberry 7700/7200 & older forum

fishinhusker no está en línea Stack level 1

7290 Questions

Advertisement

I bought a BB 7290,new Li Battery, and chargers on Ebay. Recieved items on Saturday at noon, put existing SIM card in battery and phone came on asking for PUK code. Got PUK code from Cingular (my service), and phone began working. My daughter put all her phone contacts in, set background, profile and ringtones. She used it all afternoon and night and everything worked fine. When she went to bed, she plugged charger in and red light on top right came on, we assumed this meant is was charging. When she woke up today red light was off, she tried to turn power on with lower right button and nothing happened, plugged back into charger and red light came back on briefly, while red light was on I tried to push lower right power key and hourglass icon appeared for several seconds, but will still not power the phone on. I am hoping someone can help me out, if it is bad phone (but it worked all day yesterday on original charge) or bad battery (once again worked all day yesterday on the charge that came with it) Any light anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: 7290 Questions

If possible, back up your BB.

You will need to reinstall the DM and OS (find the latest versions of each). Connect the BB to the DM without the battery in. Let the DM find the device. Check the boxes next to the System Software and Core Applications. This will reinstall the software. When it starts reloading the software, reinsert the battery. Let it fully install the OS. When the phone restarts, unplug the BB from the PC. You will need to reinstall the applications on the BB.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinhusker
    I bought a BB 7290,new Li Battery, and chargers on Ebay. Recieved items on Saturday at noon, put existing SIM card in battery and phone came on asking for PUK code. Got PUK code from Cingular (my service), and phone began working. My daughter put all her phone contacts in, set background, profile and ringtones. She used it all afternoon and night and everything worked fine. When she went to bed, she plugged charger in and red light on top right came on, we assumed this meant is was charging. When she woke up today red light was off, she tried to turn power on with lower right button and nothing happened, plugged back into charger and red light came back on briefly, while red light was on I tried to push lower right power key and hourglass icon appeared for several seconds, but will still not power the phone on. I am hoping someone can help me out, if it is bad phone (but it worked all day yesterday on original charge) or bad battery (once again worked all day yesterday on the charge that came with it) Any light anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I think your 7290 is fine, you may have a bad charger. When the device was "charged" overnight, it actually drained the battery. When you unplugged the charger and plugged it back in, it began to work correctly -- the brief red light followed by the hourglass was what the unit was supposed to do. (It was performing a cold boot.) Note: When you cold boot the device (the brief red light followed by the hourglass) the hourglass will stay on the screen for a l--o--n--g time, so don't give up after "several seconds". People switching over to BlackBerries from other manufacturers are surprised, but the boot-up takes 2 or 3 minutes, maybe longer. So here's what I would do: Use (or get) a USB data cable to connect the BB to your computer. Download and install the Desktop Manager (very quick-and-easy download, available from AT&T and about 100 other sources). Then, after Desktop Manager is installed, plug your 7290 into the computer and it will charge the battery through that connection. If the battery is completely dead, the device will cold boot as described -- just give it a few minutes (literally) and it will do it's thing. Brief red light, hourglass for 2 or 3 minutes, then rock and roll. Full charge off the computer will probably take 3 hrs, give or take. All of your daughter's info (ring tones, address book entries, background etc.) will still be there -- they're written into flash. If this works, then 99.9% it was the charger.

Thanks for the info EricaJ and Mark Stone. I will try the things you described when I get home tonight, my daughter really likes the 7290 and is eager to use it on a daily basis. We are brand new to the Blackberry and like Mark said it is a whole new "animal". I will post the results of my efforts tonight. Thanks again. Jay

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the 7290 is a nice phone, and quite affordable through eBay. Congrats to your daughter!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinhusker
    Thanks for the info EricaJ and Mark Stone. I will try the things you described when I get home tonight, my daughter really likes the 7290 and is eager to use it on a daily basis. We are brand new to the Blackberry and like Mark said it is a whole new "animal". I will post the results of my efforts tonight. Thanks again. Jay
    I hope it works for you -- the 7290 is by far and away my favorite BlackBerry out of all the ones I've used. Keep us updated!

One more quick question: Do I need the original CD that should have come with the phone to make any of this happen?

Giving up and saying it is either a bad battery or bad phone. Charger worked with someone else's phone. Thanks for all the input. Jay