Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by mobilehavoc People who switch to Macs based on Apple's ad campaign are ... Macs & MacBooks forum

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Will you leave RIM if they don't start supporting OS X?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
    People who switch to Macs based on Apple's ad campaign are in for a rude awakening when they realize how many PDAs, Blackberry, mobile phones, and other gadgets/peripherals DO NOT support OSX.

This is why Markspace makes money from there current line of Missing Sync Products for Windows mobile, Palm, and even Sony PSP. They recently announced that up coming Missing Sync for Blackberry which is due to be released shortly.

So as for not being supported by Apple. I don't see that as a issue as long as there are companies like mark space out there they will listen to the feedback from us the users.

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6

Chocolate and peanut butter. Both great separate but awsome together. It took Nestle to put it together. I am with Felixtc. I hope Markspace can come through. If I was smart enough to do it I would make some money. I still waiting for the Apple Newton as the Palm crashed on me twice a day dispite its mac compatibility. If they came up with the iPhone 10 years ago but I am sold on RIM.

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Will you leave RIM if they don't start supporting OS X?

Quote Originally Posted by manapuaman
    Chocolate and peanut butter. Both great separate but awsome together. It took Nestle to put it together. I am with Felixtc. I hope Markspace can come through. If I was smart enough to do it I would make some money. I still waiting for the Apple Newton as the Palm crashed on me twice a day dispite its mac compatibility. If they came up with the iPhone 10 years ago but I am sold on RIM.
    I'm hoping the same about MarkSpace, but then there is still the problem of no desktop manager, no ability to upgrade the BB's OS, and a company that cares very little about its Mac user base.

Yesterday, I picked up my black 30g Video iPod and held it in my hand. Except for a few milimeters in height, it is the exact dimensions of the new iPhone. I thought, if this thing is even half of what we saw in the demo...I'm probably going to give it a try! It will be very sleek....

wankim no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A085F7

Until Apple commands more of the marketshare for personal computers, it's not a worthwhile investment for RIM (or companies like it) to develop for Mac OS X. Although I would think now that OS X is on an Intel chipset, there may be other shared development efforts that could be made easier (?).

Til then, I guess I'll have to continue to use Bluetooth to connect to the 'net via BB or keep that Verizon aircard around a little longer.

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: Will you leave RIM if they don't start supporting OS X?

Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe
    I'm hoping the same about MarkSpace, but then there is still the problem of no desktop manager, no ability to upgrade the BB's OS, and a company that cares very little about its Mac user base.
    I'm just about to be a proud new BB 8800 owner; at least that's what I thought... I've used a BB and PDA's and synced with Mac in the past, but I didn't own the BB so never knew.
    • Do I understand that with a Mac, you simply cannot do some crucial things, such as upgrading the BB OS or do other things (whatever they are)?
    • What can't be done today betwee BB and Mac?
    • Do we expect the latest PocketMac or perhaps MissingSync to resolve any of these issues, or is that not possible?

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

• Do I understand that with a Mac, you simply cannot do some crucial things, such as upgrading the BB OS or do other things (whatever they are)? You cannot upgrade your OS except on a Windows machine or on a Mac running Windows.
    • What can't be done today betwee BB and Mac? Synching Tasks accurately, though the interface between PocketMac4 (which is now licensed by RIM) is a pretty slow sync application with complex results depending on your particular configuration.
    • Do we expect the latest PocketMac or perhaps MissingSync to resolve any of these issues, or is that not possible? I expect the upcoming version of PocketMac, which is being reviewed by RIM as I write this, will solve most of the obvious problems but who knows until we all try it. I have no idea about MissingSync, but they are in the early phases (beta) of trying to solve the issues for a release.
    Last edited by wclyffe; 03-12-2007 at 05:19 PM.

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

You cannot upgrade your OS except on a Windows machine or on a Mac running Windows.
    Thanks for that reply wclyffe. Wow: no OS upgrading whatsoever; that's pretty appalling.

...though the interface between PocketMac4 (which is now licensed by RIM) is a pretty slow sync application with complex results depending on your particular configuration.
    I've heard that speed problems with syncing on the Mac may be due to Apple Sync Services rather than the third party sync app (eg. MissingSync for my Palm previously). I don't know if that's true or not.

I sure hope the next versions of either PocketMac or MissingSync allow Mac users to do these crucial things like OS updating.

ronin2046 no está en línea Stack level 1

I wonder what they're gonna update in the next "universal binary version" of PocketMac...

OS updates? Browsing media content on the phone?
    Last edited by ronin2046; 03-17-2007 at 05:36 PM.

carniby no está en línea Stack level 1

If I have to make a choice between my Mac and my Blackberry. RIM wont be happy. With that said Iphone would have to be amazing for me to switch.

icegrill no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2415259c

Thumbs up Re: Will you leave RIM if they don't start supporting OS X?

Quote Originally Posted by twieder
    My VCR plays VHS tapes great, but I can't get the Beta tape to even fit in the slot. Is that Sony's fault? Yes, partly. Sony refused to license Betamax technology (sound familiar), and the initial video offerings were sparse and expensive. They had a technically better product that was less appealing to the public at large.

Apple has flirted sporadically with licensing, but inevitably pull in the reins. This has limited their install base, and made the cost of developing 3rd party hardware and software less financially appealing than the same for PCs.

If you choose to use a Mac as your general purpose computer, you have to accept that you will not have the same options available to you as PC owners have. Even the Blackberry doesn't have as much 3rd party software available as Window Mobile, but was accept that for the software and form-factor. That doesn't make RIM a bad company, and it doesn't make Apple a bad company either.
    i agree ,but dude get a dvd
    holla atcha boy

DarkScribe no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by Beler
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Just got my first bb,I am amazed to see that RIM has such ignoring attitude towards OS X, such a shame because I am a long time gadged/pda/hybrid user and for the first time I am allmost completely satisfied with current phone. I use mac most of the time and will probably switch to something other than RIM if the situation doesn't improve, wich would be a shame becase I really like this 8800
    What I have been finding rather interesting lately is the disparity in various BB owner's perceptions regarding issues such as tethering, desktop support etc. I have recently moved from a 7130g to a Pearl, and I have had some issues with PocketMac but nothing that I could say was a problem of either RIM or Apple's making. The problems all seem to be with a lack of decent manuals. In each case the difficulties that I have faced have been with incomplete or unclear instructions.

I have had no difficulty in setting the Pearl up as a tethered moden - it took about 25-30 minutes, and most of that was Googling for data. I was initially disappointed with what appeared to be some severe limitations with the Pearl's Bluetooth capabilities until I tried it with a very recent Bluetooth adaptor. All of the earlier adaptors and inbuilt BT receivers saw the Pearl as having almost no profiles. The new adaptor allowed everything I needed. I think that the Pearl's BT capability isn't lacking as often claimed, rather it is ahead of much existing BT hardware as it works with full function on both a new BT dongle and on my wife's three week old laptop, but not on our old (2005/6) systems.

I have no problem that I can relate to a lack of RIM or Apple support, but I do with the trackball. I prefer the traditional RIM wheel. I think that if they would add a memory slot and voice recognition to a 7130g it would become my ideal smartphone. The Pearl is just a little too small and delicate for me to feel comfortable with it. I have nearly dropped it a half dozen times and I am not a clumsy person. I now tend to spend more time worrying about dropping it than appreciating its functions.

Maybe I should get a latex skin for it, though that would mean forgoing the sleeper magnet and having to manually lock the keyboard all the time. Perhaps a latex or leather skin AND a larger pocket case with a sleeper magnet. I'll look ino it.

Regards

Jeff

ori
    ori no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    250568E6

Unless the Iphone has blackberry mail, then there is no way I will switch to it. I need my blackberry mail. I really hope the RIM eventually get their act together and create desktop manager for macs.

ori
    ori no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    250568E6

I stand corrected. I have looked at the spec for the IPHONE and it appears that it will have backround email collection. Maybe not blackberry mail, but still backround mail so I may have to check it out. RIM should be worried about the IPHONE.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Quote Originally Posted by ori
    I stand corrected. I have looked at the spec for the IPHONE and it appears that it will have backround email collection. Maybe not blackberry mail, but still backround mail so I may have to check it out. RIM should be worried about the IPHONE.
    ori, it will have push email from Yahoo which is being implemented right now even prior to the Iphone's release. You can also reasonably bet that Apple will provide push IMAP email through .Mac as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12