Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've had it. While I love my 8700G, I don't like the fact that RIM ... Macs & MacBooks forum

optserenity no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DA0DDE

Will you leave RIM if they don't start supporting OS X?

Advertisement

I've had it. While I love my 8700G, I don't like the fact that RIM does not care enough to develop an OS X client or create a simple tethering program.

So, with the advent of the iPhone coming up, what do guys think?

While I like the push side of things, I don't like it enough that I want to support a company that obviously doesn't care. And before you suggest PocketMac, I have tried them more than once, and have dealt very unsuccesfully with their customer support.

Beler no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2051504E

Re: Will you leave RIM if they don't start supporting OS X?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Just got my first bb,I am amazed to see that RIM has such ignoring attitude towards OS X, such a shame because I am a long time gadged/pda/hybrid user and for the first time I am allmost completely satisfied with current phone. I use mac most of the time and will probably switch to something other than RIM if the situation doesn't improve, wich would be a shame becase I really like this 8800

twieder no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E83629

Funny that Apple doesn't emphasize the incompatibility problems of their Macs on their ridiculous 'I'm a Mac-I'm a PC' ads.

mobilehavoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ec80a2

People who switch to Macs based on Apple's ad campaign are in for a rude awakening when they realize how many PDAs, Blackberry, mobile phones, and other gadgets/peripherals DO NOT support OSX.
    8100c - Personal on BIS
    8700c - Work on Corporate BES

"Only 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't"

Beler no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2051504E

Just to make sure it is clear,almost ALL of my previous gadgets from palm vx trough various symbian,M$ ce,mobile, even the linux based Zaurus worked and synced with my Mac.And that is why I don't understand RIMs ignorance
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    23DA0DDE

Quote Originally Posted by twieder
    Funny that Apple doesn't emphasize the incompatibility problems of their Macs on their ridiculous 'I'm a Mac-I'm a PC' ads.
    The funny thing about that is, it is not Apple's responsibility to make sure OTHER COMPANIES develop products that are compatible. Why do so many pc fanboy's assume that it is Apple's job to make sure that RIM's products work with their computers and operating system? Thats absurd.

Microsoft certainly does not have a responsibility to make sure that Palm products work on Vista, just as Apple can't possibly be in charge of such a ridiculous feat.

RIM makes a product, it is up to them to make sure it works cross platforms.

And yes, actually my old windows mobile device tethered flawlessly with windows. You know why? Because the Bluetooth standard on it was actually up to "spec."

twieder no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E83629

My VCR plays VHS tapes great, but I can't get the Beta tape to even fit in the slot. Is that Sony's fault? Yes, partly. Sony refused to license Betamax technology (sound familiar), and the initial video offerings were sparse and expensive. They had a technically better product that was less appealing to the public at large.

Apple has flirted sporadically with licensing, but inevitably pull in the reins. This has limited their install base, and made the cost of developing 3rd party hardware and software less financially appealing than the same for PCs.

If you choose to use a Mac as your general purpose computer, you have to accept that you will not have the same options available to you as PC owners have. Even the Blackberry doesn't have as much 3rd party software available as Window Mobile, but was accept that for the software and form-factor. That doesn't make RIM a bad company, and it doesn't make Apple a bad company either.

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Will you leave RIM if they don't start supporting OS X?

Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
    People who switch to Macs based on Apple's ad campaign are in for a rude awakening when they realize how many PDAs, Blackberry, mobile phones, and other gadgets/peripherals DO NOT support OSX.
    I disagree...if you go to Apple's iSync page you will see that OSX syncs with almost every other phone manufacturer (Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc). It is RIM that is missing out, and many if not most, Mac users will move onto better device/software relationships. I was all aboard the 8800 until the iPhone came along. It will be seriously backordered!

PIN/ID
    23DA0DDE

What I'm saying is, as a business use device, I think companies like RIM should expect that their products will be used for tethering. When I was using windows mobile, anywhere I went I tethered my laptop and I was online. Why pay for another pc card and $50 / month when I already pay the high blackberry enterprise server fees to tmobile.

I'm not asking for a whole lot, just tethering.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Quote Originally Posted by optserenity
    What I'm saying is, as a business use device, I think companies like RIM should expect that their products will be used for tethering. When I was using windows mobile, anywhere I went I tethered my laptop and I was online. Why pay for another pc card and $50 / month when I already pay the high blackberry enterprise server fees to tmobile.

I'm not asking for a whole lot, just tethering.
    Absolutely!! It is insane this tethering has not been available along with no desktop manager, no software upgrades (except on a Windows machine), and the most inferior sync software imaginable. I remember syncing my same address book and calendar on the now outdated Palm desktop...it took about 30 seconds to sync 1800 contacts, a busy schedule, hundreds of tasks and notes. This same procedure on PocketMac takes 8 minutes and it seems to mess up frequently!!

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

Ya, I definitely am glad I returned my Pearl for my 8700- that way I could continue using PocketMac 3. But the future is inevitable, and I'll have to upgrade...

Would somebody please give me the reasons, such as stablility, that keep me using my BB over a Treo or Symbian OS...

I'm really frustrated myself w/ everything, because I can't move forward, the day I upgrade OS, or device, it is over using PM 3, and 4 sucks!!!

There is also Mark/Space...what does everyone think of their sync solution, will it be worth the $ ?

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I guess RIM is playing the percentages with their resources. To be a Mac owner puts you as a fraction of the population, let's say 1/5th of the computer users. Then multiply that by the fraction of phone owners who own Blackberries, which let's just say isn't above 1/25. Thus there is a very small fraction, possibly much smaller than the 1/125 from the independent probability of even impossibly generous estimates. If you were running a company, would you allocate assets towards that thin of a demographic instead of pursuing profit? I wouldn't be in a day job very long if I did something like that with my company's money, but don't know about you.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

I love my 8700, but take a look at this recent "review" of sorts of the iPhone:

Andy Ihnatko of the Chicago Sun Times was one of the lucky few who was able to demo the new Apple iPhone after the Macworld keynote and he had nothing but good things to say. He states, "After 30 seconds, I was already typing faster with the iPhone than I ever have with any other phone". He goes on to praise the unit and its "liquid" smooth OS but he also went on to say that Apple refuses to allow any 3rd party software developers to produce apps for the device, but we already knew that. Read on for the rest of his hands on feedback.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...Andy18.article
    Last edited by wclyffe; 02-03-2007 at 06:05 PM.

PIN/ID
    23DA0DDE

YellowFin,

While I totally understand targetting your efforts towards the max amount of users, the fact of the matter is more and more people are starting to use OS X.

If the case is that Mac users do not matter, then how come just about every single phone out there can sync and tether with OS X?

Why would Motorola make sure their phones work? Why do Windows Mobile phones work? Odd huh? For some reason, all these manufacturers have chosen to support OS X. Don't get blindsided by your love for RIM.

It is not indicative of a good company to behave this way.

RIM should be about making products that work...

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ is it choice or almost coincidence? I would bet that in the case of Motorola they probably didn't have to change much if anything to make it equally compatible with OSX and Winblows. Now, that said I certainly would hope that RIM would have the foresight to deliberately make their OS easily interoperable across platforms, but perhaps that wasn't a consideration when they were formulating the basis for their OS as we know it now. Sure, now the population at large is becoming more Mac integrated, but was that always the case? No. Mac OS in any generation up until the last year or so, even as OSX until Panther or maybe Jaguar was very much a specialized product, seeing very little non-graphic/publication profession use except by die hard fringe enthusiasts in the tiny minority. If you predicted accurately 2 years ago that Mac sales and use would do what they did by now, then show me the 400+% increase in stock value you personally cashed in on (and bought a house with)or else shut up about expecting it and betting money on it. Revamping an entire operating system to catch onto a trend--an operating system which is essentially the business' sole product which has made them be what they are and without it would be absolutely nothing-- would be catastrophically stupid, literally industrial suicide. Now, the fact that somewhere along the line this problem was not forseen and dealt with SUCKS, AND I MEAN ROYALLY SUCKS for you, me, and everyone, but again I think it's expecting to find a Protestant church in Spain in the 1600's.

That said, every computer I have owned for the last 4 years has been a Mac and every one I will ever buy for the rest of my life will be without exception, and if they can somehow some way fix this problem with a patch or simple OS update, then you better believe I want it within the first 10 seconds it hits the ground in cyberspace...and if I had a clone or a parallel life to devote nothing else to I'd be crunching it out myself right now. Reality, however, remains a pesky little bugger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast