Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am really tired of the Windows problems, ie freezing, viruses, etc. I was hoping ... Macs & MacBooks forum

alin no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31a241a4

Thinking of getting a MAC!

Advertisement

I am really tired of the Windows problems, ie freezing, viruses, etc. I was hoping I could get some advice from the experts.

TIA
    ALIN

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Thinking of getting a MAC!

Linux. Either way, its going to be hard with the blackberry with either~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

chris93372 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31D7C73C

There are pretty involved threads here with BB and Macs. In short:

1. Only 2 ways to sync the two - Missing Sync for Blackberry (http://www.markspace.com) or Pocketmac (from Blackberry)

2. 3rd party installs are usually XP based. Most Desktop Manager installs on a Mac involve a PC emulator like Virtual PC.

Otherwise, I've had good experiences so far.

Good luck!

PIN/ID
    31a241a4

Quote Originally Posted by chris93372
    There are pretty involved threads here with BB and Macs. In short:

1. Only 2 ways to sync the two - Missing Sync for Blackberry (http://www.markspace.com) or Pocketmac (from Blackberry)

2. 3rd party installs are usually XP based. Most Desktop Manager installs on a Mac involve a PC emulator like Virtual PC.

Otherwise, I've had good experiences so far.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response!

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Thinking of getting a MAC!

Don't hesitate...buy a Mac...this said from a former dedicated Windows user, and now I cannot believe I waited so long. Windows XP is a far cry from a solid OS whereas I never reboot my Macs unless I am upgrading software, and from what I hear the new Vista OS is a mess. Even CNET, which is very pro-Windows, has gone on and on about waiting before you upgrade to Vista.

Anyway, I sync my BB8700g with a Powerbook G4 using iCal, Address Book, and Entourage notes...no issues except the tasks in iCal will not hold the due date, but the item still appears. All this is done with PocketMac v4.0.20 which is free. You can also try Missing Sync (Mark Space) which I believe is $40 and they are a good-smart company. The software has just been released so there are some small issues, but I believe most people are happy it now exists.

dlo
    dlo no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    401C6CE5

Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe
    Don't hesitate...buy a Mac...this said from a former dedicated Windows user, and now I cannot believe I waited so long. Windows XP is a far cry from a solid OS whereas I never reboot my Macs unless I am upgrading software, and from what I hear the new Vista OS is a mess. Even CNET, which is very pro-Windows, has gone on and on about waiting before you upgrade to Vista.

Anyway, I sync my BB8700g with a Powerbook G4 using iCal, Address Book, and Entourage notes...no issues except the tasks in iCal will not hold the due date, but the item still appears. All this is done with PocketMac v4.0.20 which is free. You can also try Missing Sync (Mark Space) which I believe is $40 and they are a good-smart company. The software has just been released so there are some small issues, but I believe most people are happy it now exists.
    I've heard that Vista is a mess, thanks for the advice!
    PIN 401C6CE5

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I agree.. Mac is the way to go. I'm a help desk manager in a Windows environment and I use a MacBook Pro as my personal laptop and will be swapping out my Vista run Dell for an iMac very soon...

With Bootcamp/Parallels/VMware available for those "windows only" situations you can comfortably make the switch!

Good Luck!!

PIN/ID
    31a241a4

Thanks everyone

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Thinking of getting a MAC!

Quote Originally Posted by hls811
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    With Bootcamp/Parallels/VMware available for those "windows only" situations you can comfortably make the switch!
    Absolutely!! Now there are such easy, dependable ways to accomplish "Windows Only" tasks and still stay with OSX's smooth operation for everything else....its a perfect time to own a Mac!

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by alin
    I am really tired of the Windows problems, ie freezing, viruses, etc. I was hoping I could get some advice from the experts.

TIA
    ALIN
    If you don't mind me throwing my two cents about the whole switch over process. For switchers Apple offers a great service called "Dot Mac" it has great benefits especially for switchers. They offers its users Online tutorials for Mac OS X Tiger, iLife (itunes, iMovie, iDVD and Garageband) also Pro applications as well.

Alin, if you are tired of all the viruses, spyware and popups you are on the right path. And syncing shouldn't be a problem as stated above. If you still want to run windows on your mac I would have to recommend installing bootcamp and running windows xp from a separate partition. Parallels might be able run windows from within a Virtual environment but boot camp is a better option when you need to sync a device like the blackberry. That's my honest opinion.

PIN/ID
    31a241a4

Quote Originally Posted by Felixtc
    If you don't mind me throwing my two cents about the whole switch over process. For switchers Apple offers a great service called "Dot Mac" it has great benefits especially for switchers. They offers its users Online tutorials for Mac OS X Tiger, iLife (itunes, iMovie, iDVD and Garageband) also Pro applications as well.

Alin, if you are tired of all the viruses, spyware and popups you are on the right path. And syncing shouldn't be a problem as stated above. If you still want to run windows on your mac I would have to recommend installing bootcamp and running windows xp from a separate partition. Parallels might be able run windows from within a Virtual environment but boot camp is a better option when you need to sync a device like the blackberry. That's my honest opinion.
    Thanks for your opinion

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

I have been using Macs for about 5 years, and I will never go back to Windows. I have to say, the first comment stating to go straight to Linux, is a bold statement. Not at all saying that you can't do it, or that it isn't done all the time, but OS X is a step without the jump. I feel Mac is intuitive enough that you may never need to go to the command line, but hey, its based on BSD Unix (created by Berkeley) so if you do want to try out more Linux based utilities, you could.

With that said, PocketMac and Missing Sync offer some SOLID, actual sync capabilities...Linux will leave you lost in this area. I have only read of two ways to sync with Linux, neither are straightforward or reliable.

Also, if you are lookin at a Mac on Apple's website, I highly recommend the refurb page (it has a big red pricetag on the right side of the Apple Store webpage, about midway down), as they offer the same warranty for about 30% less.

If you have an older BB, PM me for PocketMac 3 when you get your new computer, I feel it ran a lot better with the older BBs than the newer version...

Good Luck and Welcome to a more solid OS...

lamsik no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204F05F1

its funny to see all of these windows techs go to mac..

i will join you guys haha.. been repairing and troubleshooting windows for a few years, but use a mac for person use.

i like the feel of the mac os x a lot more.. even though. i do run into problems from time to time when my macbook seems to work too hard to play videos for long periods of time..

but for the most part.. macs are excellent..
    BB PIN: 204F05F1

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

I say do it. I love my macbook
    but I never did understand why playing a music video makes the CPU fans go nuts. I wish they would be quieter when running so high lol oh well still love it
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

NoahNoah no está en línea Stack level 1

I have a MacBook Pro and love it - they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands before i give it up....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast