I'm debating buying a used g4. But I'm debating on waiting and just buying a ... Macs & MacBooks forum

NOID no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2423EC62

Question about G4's compared to newer Mac book

Advertisement

I'm debating buying a used g4. But I'm debating on waiting and just buying a new Mac book (low end) I'm curious if anyone has used both models? I will mainly be using it to browse the internet and burn music. Thanks

nsarpong no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DF23E9

Re: Question about G4's compared to newer Mac book

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I currently have a G4 and all of my friends have Macbook Pros. You would be fine with a G4 to burn stuff and surf the net, but the camera above the screen is pretty hot, and the ability to load Win XP whenever you need it is pretty dope. If you can afford the Macbook, might as well get it, but you can definitely use a G4 without any problems. I use my PowerBook daily to run Pro Tools and that **** is CPU hungry. Hope that helps, Maine!

Blackberry079 no está en línea Stack level 3

Another thing is should you buy a used G4 or get a newer macbook, that is the question. I've messed with both models but I have a G4 PPC PB 12" 1.5ghz. My problem is i can only store up to 1.25gb of ram, while the new MB/Pros can go up to 3-4gb depending which one you choose. Also another factor is 10.5 is right around the corner and far as I know right now PB are less ram hungry while MB/P's are ram hogs. Honestly the whole boot camp thing to me isn't a selling point, but for other people who like having 2 OS on 1 computer i guess it's fine for them.

I personally came to Apple to get away from XP/Vista since they have horrible UI and so on. After I've been on a Mac i could care much less putting XP or Vista on my computer. I have found everything I used on mac computer ever since I made the switch. In my honest opinion if you want a faster CPU, updated snappy GPU go with a macbook and get a refurbished one. But if you don't care about that you should get the last powerbook that was ever made. Plus it's cheaper than getting a new MB/P but there are benefits of getting a newer apple computer.

wankim no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A085F7

I had a PowerBook G4 (15" Al 1.25Ghz) for the longest time...still do actually and should probably put up for sale...anyway...

I switched to a MacBook Pro 15, and I love it. The PB still works great--runs all the same software, etc. but I like the higher pixel density on the MacBook and MacBook Pros as well as the improved speed on the machines. As mentioned before, for most consumer-use (and most professional use) stuff, the G4 will still work fine, but I would imagine at some point you may want to consider that Apple may phase out support for the G4 models as more and more generations of the Intel-based machines are sold.

BootCamp or VMWare/Paralles works great and is a great improvement over Virutal PC on the G4(especially if you're like me and still need to run some Windows-only stuff for work).

(And the iSight camera on the MacBook is great...but if you use an external Cinema display and the screen is close--can't use it anyway!...and Apple doesn't sell the external iSight anymore!)

teresa no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I have a G4 17 inch that I love but jut replaced it with the PB. Can anyone tell me an approx. Value for the G4?

NOID no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2423EC62

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the info they replied with.