This may be because of my set up but I will explain: I have a ... Macs & MacBooks forum

loobola no está en línea Stack level 1

PocketMac won't sync mail with Entourage

Advertisement

This may be because of my set up but I will explain:

I have a work Blackberry (Pearl) that runs off a BES server (work) and all those emails are linked to Outlook on my work PC. I have a Mac at home which I want to purely download (ad-hoc) my emails from my blackberry to my Mac (Entourage). i.e not sync as such but copy blackberry inbox to entourage mail which is an option in the PocketMac SyncMaster application for the Mac. I connect no problems and have all the relevant settings ticked and it appears to be exporting the mail box which takes a couple of minutes and the blackberry shows that it is exporting the data to the PC. However when it is done (no errors) there are no emails in Entourage. Note in entourage there is no email account set up as it is in no way connected to our work BES. I want to be able to do this so I can read my work emails that come through on my blackberry on my Mac at home and thus be able to open the attachments etc via Entourage.

I can however get PocketMac to export my calender to both iCal and Entourage successfully.

Is this somehow a (work) setting that doesn't allow emails to be exported off the blackberry or is there another issue occurring here maybe with my set up of entourage?

Thanks for you infor and help in advance.
    </SPAN>

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: PocketMac won't sync mail with Entourage

Quote Originally Posted by loobola
    This may be because of my set up but I will explain:

I have a work Blackberry (Pearl) that runs off a BES server (work) and all those emails are linked to Outlook on my work PC. I have a Mac at home which I want to purely download (ad-hoc) my emails from my blackberry to my Mac (Entourage). i.e not sync as such but copy blackberry inbox to entourage mail which is an option in the PocketMac SyncMaster application for the Mac. I connect no problems and have all the relevant settings ticked and it appears to be exporting the mail box which takes a couple of minutes and the blackberry shows that it is exporting the data to the PC. However when it is done (no errors) there are no emails in Entourage. Note in entourage there is no email account set up as it is in no way connected to our work BES. I want to be able to do this so I can read my work emails that come through on my blackberry on my Mac at home and thus be able to open the attachments etc via Entourage.

I can however get PocketMac to export my calender to both iCal and Entourage successfully.

Is this somehow a (work) setting that doesn't allow emails to be exported off the blackberry or is there another issue occurring here maybe with my set up of entourage?

Thanks for you infor and help in advance.

</SPAN>
    I'm not familiar with Entourage or Pocket Mac so can't really help there. So these are idiots questions but hey. I presume there is still an inbox on entourage without you having any email accounts setup? Just so there is somewhere for the mails to be imported to...

Also there might be an IT policy on your device that would affect this, but i'd expect it to knock out your other sync operations too. something along the lines of 'disallow third party apps access to persistant memory' would do this, but it would lock out your other sync's too i would think.
    Miles.

Yes that was my thought also re the blackberry security. I am wondering if that function exisits for the blackberry or not. Whether someone here can confirm that?

And entourage has the welcome message in my inbox. I also linked it to a newly setup yahoo account just to make sure that wasn't the issue. It imported the yahoo fine but failed again to import the emails off the blackberry. So back to square one....

Quote Originally Posted by loobola
    Yes that was my thought also re the blackberry security. I am wondering if that function exisits for the blackberry or not. Whether someone here can confirm that?

And entourage has the welcome message in my inbox. I also linked it to a newly setup yahoo account just to make sure that wasn't the issue. It imported the yahoo fine but failed again to import the emails off the blackberry. So back to square one....
    All Blackberries on a BES can have one or more policies applied to them to govern what you can and can't do with the deivce. the list is long and it's hard to say if this might be affecting you without knowing what policies your IT dept have applied to your device. You could ask them i suppose.

This doc lists all the current policies:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...200%2042658574

If yo ufancy some bedtime reading.

I'm pretty sure you can knock out the USB function or disable pocket mac being able to access files on the blackberry (this could be done using content protection i think) but i'm not sure about selectively just disabling you pulling your emails from the device.

Can you try it on another mac?
    Miles.

I had a scan over that list of policies and couldn't see anything that specifically wouldn't allow access to emails vs calender etc. The other thing that makes me dubious is that it spends 2 mins actually exporting the emails to the Mac with the blackberry display confirming this is happening - I can't imagine it would bother to do this if it were set not to be allowed to!

Not quite sure what you mean by knocking out the usb function. I can clearly access teh calender files on the blackberry and have all the same settings for the email. From memory the software doesn't have an email synch option but just an export option to teh Mac. Maybe there is an issue with exporting vs synching.

Maybe I should try it with imail (which i don't really want to as am using it for personal email) or try the alternative software (forget its name) to synch with the Mac.

FYI I tried it with Mail and it looked like it was about to work (spent a min exporting the emails), Mail came to the front and looked as though it was about to do something but alas nothing.

No the USB function on the device has not been disabled if you can sync or export some things.

Have you tried contacting pocketmac for support? Not sure I can suggest anything else.
    Miles.

Thanks! Yes I have dropped them an email support request and am awaiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for your help.