Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

For clarification what model mac are you using? What is the configuration? ~via BB Curve ... Macs & MacBooks forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: PM & MS: why opinions differ

Advertisement

For clarification what model mac are you using? What is the configuration?

~via BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

powerdog no está en línea Stack level 2

I have both a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro, and the MP is of more interest for this.

It's the quad core 3.0, with 3 internal HDs. One for OS X, one for Windows, and one for Time Machine backups. It has 5G of RAM.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by powerdog View Post
    Archer, I have a recent MBP, Leopard, and XP, mostly to run a video recording program called DVRack

I've got Windows on my MP as well, mostly to check the websites I develop !
    Based on this snippet I was under the impression you were talking about your MBP,(as I was talking about my MBP)

When you said: "I've got Windows on my MP as well "

I thought MP was a typo & you had left out the "B" & meant MBP. I did'nt realize you had 2 Macs & were discussing both of them concurrently.

Now that I have clarification. I would like to know what you are trying to accomplish & on which Mac?

OK, I think Fusion would be most useful on the Mac Pro, though I may think about installing it on the portable later.

What I'd like to do is install Fusion on the Mac Pro without removing and reinstalling OS X or XP on their respective drives. In other words, can I just install Fusion on top of what's already there?

Edit: Apparently, the VMWare features list says I can do it:

"Break out of Boot Camp
    Already running Windows XP or Windows Vista on your Mac using Apple's Boot Camp? No problem. VMware Fusion automatically detects your Boot Camp partition and lets you access it as a virtual machine, giving you the flexibility to run Windows XP or Windows Vista alone or side-by-side with Mac OS X."
    Last edited by powerdog; 01-27-2008 at 10:21 AM.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

yep what hes saying is for u to delete anything that had to do with bootcamp and only run VMware.
    And yes two different copies installed if u use bc and vmw (not necessarily two licenses cuz ur the same person using it).
    VMware will allow u to use both at the same time no rebooting. PM sent too check ur inbox

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Quote Originally Posted by powerdog View Post
    Edit: Apparently, the VMWare features list says I can do it:

"Break out of Boot Camp
    Already running Windows XP or Windows Vista on your Mac using Apple's Boot Camp? No problem. VMware Fusion automatically detects your Boot Camp partition and lets you access it as a virtual machine, giving you the flexibility to run Windows XP or Windows Vista alone or side-by-side with Mac OS X."
    Oh well thats a nice feature you might aswell just do that

powerdog,
    The only reason I suggested wiping & reformatting earlier was I thought we were talking about your MBP with everthing on a single hard drive.

However now that I know it's about your desktop you have more flexibility. Also I agree with ranxoren's recent post.

One more comment for your consideration. Now that I know you are using your computers for work & not just home use I would imagine you put a lot of time on them. I myself work with mine for 8 to10 hrs a day. A practice I have been using for the last few yrs with OSX & WINXP is to wipe & reformat once a year.

Because I'm such a geek,you know how engineers are
    I have timed certain operations & done before & after benchmark tests. The amount of speed gained (or recovered) is very significant. At least for me it's certainly worth the time to do it. That said, I must mention that I have images of each setup, which greatly reduces the time required to do this.

Also since I have 4 computers it eases the task of maintaining them.

~via BB Curve(wap.pinstack.com)~

Archer, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see speed gains after reformatting and reinstalling. My own Macs never seem quite as fast as when they're new. And I guess it's not that big a deal to do the reinstall, since I used Carbon Copy Cloner easily enough to backup Tiger before installing Leopard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123