Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

powerdog, I forgot to mention that I also use DVrack which loads faster & runs ... Macs & MacBooks forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: PM & MS: why opinions differ

Advertisement

powerdog, I forgot to mention that I also use DVrack which loads faster & runs perfectly on VMware, if that might be helpful to you.

I spend so much time on the computer, that speed remains a central focal point for me. My work is mission critical, so anything that will increase speed is very valuable to me.

~via BB Curve(wap.pinstack.com)~

powerdog no está en línea Stack level 2

Archer, you're kidding! Wow. That info about DVR is really a life-changing piece of news. I'll be placing my order for VMware as soon as I post this! Who would have thought I'd learn that here?!

Ranxoren, you've already tried and rejected an iPhone? You must really be on the cutting edge! I started thinking about a BB when I went to a VZW store to look at the so-called iPhone killer, the LG Voyager. I was hoping to fall in love with it, but I thought it was awful, from the dime store build quality to the confusing, almost random interface. Lots of sizzle, not much steak.

powerdog,

VMware is an incredible app. The more I use it, the more I discover the depth of it's capabilities. You will be rewarded if you choose to invest a little time to learn it well. The capabilities are far greater than most are aware of. The way it was designed integrates with OSX better than any other app I have used, and that's over 10 years of trying nearly every piece of software created for Mac. As an avid Mac enthusiast & experienced computer engineer, I feel certain you will enjoy this app.

~via BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Quote Originally Posted by powerdog View Post
    Archer, you're kidding! Wow. That info about DVR is really a life-changing piece of news. I'll be placing my order for VMware as soon as I post this! Who would have thought I'd learn that here?!

Ranxoren, you've already tried and rejected an iPhone? You must really be on the cutting edge! I started thinking about a BB when I went to a VZW store to look at the so-called iPhone killer, the LG Voyager. I was hoping to fall in love with it, but I thought it was awful, from the dime store build quality to the confusing, almost random interface. Lots of sizzle, not much steak.
    hahaha lets just say i have connections to get new electronics really early and for cheap it was my second iPhone too lol sold first one then got another one then finally got the 8310 but yeah the iPhone's interface is amazing but berrys are sooooo much better !!! wouldnt go back for anything. and the lg ur talking about ... trust me : CRAP. lol stick with berrys

The more I read about the Pearl, the more I like it. The things that tend to be criticized, like photo and video quality, I've never used in 2 years of owning a Treo. What I need is a reliable, convenient email and phone appliance -- and a more pocketable size and weight. When I looked at the 8130, it made the Treo look like a brick.

Archer, you've totally changed my view of VMware. I thought it was just an OS toggle utility, but now I"ll have to learn more about it. How's the documentation? Good enough for a non-engineer to take advantage of the other features?

VMware is the best way to run both OSX & Windows at the same time. Unlike emulators there is no drag on your system, therefore no slowdown. However you must have plenty of memory as you are indeed running two systems at the same time.

There is a bit to learn (like anything new) but you can get it up & running easily, then learn as little or as much as you want as you go.

What's so great about it is that you can run these two OS's at the very same time. Each in it's own window so it's as easy as moving between open windows on just one OS.

I have my MBP running three systems: OSX-WIN.XP-Linux, it's fantastic. All 3 at the same time, no toggling, no rebooting, it's exactly like 3 computers all in one.
    This app makes Bootcamp & Parallels look like patches. And it costs under $85.

BlackBerrys
    After I read your last post, I would suggest that you decide between just two. The 81xx Pearl, or the 83xx Curve. I have them both. The two area's for you to focus on are the displays & keyboards. The reason I prefer the Curve is for it's larger display & it's full qwerty keyboard. However that's not to say the Pearl is without it's advantages, mainly size. With the Pearl you must have the patience to learn the SureType input system.

Personally I really like it. However the small keyboard on the Pearl is simply not for me. You may like it. Since the only major size difference is an additional 10mm in width, I prefer the Curve. Also the fact that I like being able to handle a lot of email each day (over 100) without having to be at the computer. And to look things up on the web, or write like I'm doing now & enjoying the larger display.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!

~via BB 8310 Curve(wap.pinstack.com)~

Actually, Amazon has VMware for about $42 after a $20 rebate. No-brainer, huh?

I haven't really considered the Curve so far. One of my big gripes about the Treo is the size and weight. I'd really like the phone to fit comfortably in a pants pocket -- along with a decent case -- and not threaten to pull my pants down! (Hasn't happened yet, but definitely makes me fight against gravity.) Do you think there's much difference in that respect between the Curve and Treo?

---------

Edit: Apparently, the Curve isn't offered by VZW. The 8830 World phone seems to be the Pearl alternative.
    Last edited by powerdog; 01-26-2008 at 11:57 AM.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

hmm coming from the treo i would say RUN for the curve (ive had the same experience as u). Now if VZW (im assuming Verizon ?? im in Canada sorry) doesnt offer it go for the pearl cuz i HATED the 8830 and had a pearl too and between those 2 pearl is way better IMO. but best of all three is curve sits perfectly in your hand and even the curve makes treos look like bricks so either switch to tmo or att or get a nice pearl

also the curve compared to the treo is much lighter and slimmer.

I'm in Vermont...no ATT or T-Mobile service anywhere in the state, though that may change in the future with various companies swapping various network chunks. Our only two providers are Verizon and Unicel, with Sprint a poor third.

I'm on Verizon, which has the best coverage I've found, and the only two current BBs they offer are the Pearl and 8830.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

well then get the pearl UNLESS u like the feel of the 8830 i just didnt like it in hands YOU might. plus you get gps and first cdma world phone
    -------
    but i see ur using the 8130 now whats wrong with it ?
    Last edited by ranxoren; 01-26-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Automerged.

I think when I signed up for this board, there was somewhere I was supposed to put my BB model. I don't have it yet, it's just the one I've been attracted to. I looked at reviews of the 8830, but I still think the size of the Pearl is a great convenience.

Archer: question about VMware....can I leave Boot Camp and Windows XP installed as they are, and just install VM on top of them? I have an internal drive running nothing but Windows.
    Last edited by powerdog; 01-26-2008 at 06:36 PM.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

yep believe me get the pearl (if u cant get the curve) you wont be disapointed. but always remember that it will take some time to get a good hold of suretype

As for ur VMware question i can answer that : VMware runs as a software in macosx so you will still have ur internal drive running nothing but windows and u install VMware on ur macosx account as a software.
    THEN youre gonna have to setup a windows "machine" under VMware and this is gonna take room by itself. So usually people get either parallels OR VMware OR bootcamp but yes u can run all three. Only problem is that every single one will have a copy of windows installed lol so lots of room taken.
    i dont know if im really clear let me know lol

Given the choices you have I would highly suggest the Pearl over the 8830. I have an 8820, but I must carry it in my briefcase during the week as I will not wear any phone on my belt. And this model is too big for my pockets.

For all my BB's I use RexRegina Cases. The model is called Morgan. These are the perfect case for carrying the BB in your pocket which is my preference. They are very high quality leather, thin, and are flat on both sides. No belt clip, which makes them very nice to carry in your pockets or by hand. The offer the best protection as they cover the entire device, even the corners. I have dropped my BB & suffered no damage whatsoever. That alone makes these stylish cases worth it.

Back to the Pearl, it seems that size is one of your first priorities, thus a Pearl will not dissapoint. Frankly I think it's quite impressive that RIM could reduce a BlackBerry to this small size, without giving up any features.

I believe you will find the Pearl an excellent choice. It will surprise you will all it offers.

Regarding VMware now that I know you have Bootcamp & windows running. I would ask what do you want to accomplish?

If it's eliminating having to reboot, then I would suggest VMware. If it's to speed up your system, then again go VMware.
    However I would remove Bootcamp & Windows. As they take up two much space as each copy of windows you install creates it's own master boot record which can conflict with the other. Left there & installing VMware is risking corruption of your data at some point, which may not show up until later.

If it was my computer, frankly I would wipe the entire hard drive clean. This is well worth the time as you will only have to do it once.

Next reformat the HD & do a fresh install of OSX, then install VMware, finally install Windows.
    Now you have a proper setup, you have assured you will not encounter any problems, you are not wasting space, & you will enjoy maximum speed.

Speed is one of the most impressive results. When I compare my very fast Thinkpad with 4GB memory running just WinXP, to my MBP with 4GB running VMware & WinXP the Mac is signifcantly faster. It's also important to know that the two laptops are identical, same processors, same HD capacity & speed. Therefore this is a very fair comparison.
    Bottom line from my perspective is VMware is an application designed specifically for the Mac, the task at hand & superbly engineered. Nothing else compares. I know as I've also used Bootcamp & Parrallels.

So people running both Boot Camp and VMWare actually have two different copies & licenses for Windows?

And you'd suggest reformatting the disk and reinstalling OS X and all my Mac apps, even though Windows is on a different HD? Is that just to make sure there are no traces left of Boot Camp if I go the VMWare-only route?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast