Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

As a future BB and long-time Mac user, can anyone take a step back and ... Macs & MacBooks forum

powerdog no está en línea Stack level 2

PM & MS: why opinions differ

Advertisement

As a future BB and long-time Mac user, can anyone take a step back and consider this question: It seems you're equally likely to read that PM was a disaster and MS great for a given user, and vice versa.

Without debating the virtues of either, what do you think accounts for the differences in user experience? Variables I can think of include:

Specific BB model
    Specific Mac model
    Mac OS version
    BB OS version
    Attempting things that are beyond the core functions of the BB
    Operator error/RTFM

,,,and, of course, various combinations of the above.

What's your hypothesis?

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Re: PM & MS: why opinions differ

im running pocket mac on my macbook 2.0ghz on leopard. my berry is the 8310 and ive never had ANY problem wit PM. i can install applications really easilly and syncing all my contacts/calendars works flawlessly. Also liked that its kinda like iSync
    As for MS i tried it once didnt really like the interface and how it works + u cant install apps with it.
    Hope that helps

Thanks. That's one vote for PM. So why do you think many people have had problems with it?

MacWebDev no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Count another one for PM.

I'm on a Curve 8310 running OS 4.2.2 and a MacBook Pro 2.16GHz running Leopard (with all updates, don't remember the number off hand) and use PocketMac. I haven't had any issues with it syncing contacts, calendars, and installing software.

I also used MS for Windows Mobile with my HTC Touch. Haven't tried it with the BlackBerry, but for my purposes, I much prefer PocketMac. It just has a more mac like feel, very similar to iSync.

The only problems I've heard about from a few other friends who use Mac & BB are transferring files to use as backgrounds or photo-caller-id. I have no idea if the issues exist on the 8310, I use automator for that - it's just so much easier.

The automator workflows are in the stacks... just search for automator.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdog View Post
    As a future BB and long-time Mac user, can anyone take a step back and consider this question: It seems you're equally likely to read that PM was a disaster and MS great for a given user, and vice versa.

Specific BB model
    Specific Mac model
    Mac OS version
    BB OS version

Attempting things that are beyond the core functions of the BB
    Operator error/RTFM

,,,and, of course, various combinations of the above.
    --
    Welcome to Pinstacks!
    I'm using a MacBook Pro running Leopard paired with a BlackBerry Curve 8310 OS 4.2.2.170.
    My prior combo was MBP OS 10.4.10 & BB 8310 as above.

I have used both PM & MS, both of which I have found very usefull. That said I prefer PM as I find it best for my particular needs & preferences.

You have brought up some very accurate points, which I believe say it all.
    1) Many people are not learning the application(s) therefore complaining about issues they would not experience if they took the time to learn it.
    2) Too impatient before condeming an otherwards trouble free app.
    3) Expecting more out of the app than it was designed for.
    4) Carelessly choosing an app before identifying it's capable of what one expects.
    5) The Classic: operater error.

Cheers!
    Via BB 8310

Ahhh... now we're getting somewhere.

Are there any major reasons to go with Bootcamp/Windows and the PC version of the BB software instead of PM?

And archer6, do you still use MS at all? If so, for what?

Thanks!

PIN/ID
    AskMe

hmmm id say the only main reason id use parallels/bootcamp and the DM is for the media manager. Apart from that PM does the same job

That's great news. Thanks.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

no worries thats what were here for

Are there any major reasons to go with Bootcamp/Windows and the PC version of the BB software instead of PM?
    Great question!
    Even though I've used both Bootcamp & Parallels, I'm really enjoying VMware. Until this application was released I could not use my MBP for anything other than my personal laptop. As I'm a software engineer who depends on various 3D design apps only available for windows (& requiring lots of resources). Thus for many years I have used Mac laptops as my personal machine, while using a ThinkPad for work.

Now that I have the very latest MBP with a 7200rpm HD & 4GB ram. I have the resources. Then running VMware & WinXP.SP2, I can now do everything I want or need to do. Finally I have the ultimate solution as have been a huge Mac Advocate since the first PowerBook was released yrs ago.

Now to answer your last question, since my recent upgrade to WMware I no longer us PM, it's been replaced by BB Desktop Mgr. Why? MS Outlook is a big part of my corp work, therefore I now have the best of all worlds. I'm running the PC apps I must at an even greater speed than ever, while enjoying OSX Leopard alongside in it's own window.

For me it's the Ultimate setup that I've dreamed of for years!

For you, if speed & flexibility are desired I would highly suggest the setup above.

Cheers,

Anyone here move from a Palm Treo to a BB? Happy about it? (I guess you wouldn't be here if you weren't!

Archer, I have a recent MBP, Leopard, and XP, mostly to run a video recording program called DVRack. (Now owned by Adobe.) It's Windows-only software, yet one of the developers said that he'd buy an MBP himself to run it! However, he didn't recommend using anything but Boot Camp to run Windows with it.

I've got Windows on my MP as well, mostly to check the websites I develop on the Mac in PC browsers (especially the dreaded IE7), so I'd probably install Fusion for that and for the BB. Rebooting is a real pain!
    Last edited by powerdog; 01-25-2008 at 04:50 PM.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Great question!
    Even though I've used both Bootcamp & Parallels, I'm really enjoying VMware. Until this application was released I could not use my MBP for anything other than my personal laptop. As I'm a software engineer who depends on various 3D design apps only available for windows (& requiring lots of resources). Thus for many years I have used Mac laptops as my personal machine, while using a ThinkPad for work.

Now that I have the very latest MBP with a 7200rpm HD & 4GB ram. I have the resources. Then running VMware & WinXP.SP2, I can now do everything I want or need to do. Finally I have the ultimate solution as have been a huge Mac Advocate since the first PowerBook was released yrs ago.

Now to answer your last question, since my recent upgrade to WMware I no longer us PM, it's been replaced by BB Desktop Mgr. Why? MS Outlook is a big part of my corp work, therefore I now have the best of all worlds. I'm running the PC apps I must at an even greater speed than ever, while enjoying OSX Leopard alongside in it's own window.

For me it's the Ultimate setup that I've dreamed of for years!

For you, if speed & flexibility are desired I would highly suggest the setup above.

Cheers,
    As he is saying if Outlook is a big part of ur business/needs then yeah go for bootcamp/VMware/Parallels . If no i can guarantee PM is way enough

No, Outlook will never be needed. I'm a one-man show.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Anyone here move from a Palm Treo to a BB? Happy about it? (I guess you wouldn't be here if you weren't!

Archer, I have a recent MBP, Leopard, and XP, mostly to run a video recording program called DVRack. (Now owned by Adobe.) It's Windows-only software, yet one of the developers said that he'd buy an MBP himself to run it! However, he didn't recommend using anything but Boot Camp to run Windows with it.

I've got Windows on my MP as well, mostly to check the websites I develop on the Mac in PC browsers (especially the dreaded IE7), so I'd probably install Fusion for that and for the BB. Rebooting is a real pain!
    I moved from a treo 750 to a treo 680 to an iPhone to a blackberry curve 8310 and i am definitly not switching to anything else than the new curve when it comes out (if it does lol) !!
    Loving it ! i really really liked the treo 750 (altho i hated windows mobile for some reason the phone was awesome and felt good), the treo 680 was amazing too but the curve is just up there and blows away any competition thanks to the os and the feel of the phone. hell my girlfriend that hated all my smartphone LOVED the curve and bought one the day after i got mine !!
    the iphone was just too much of a toy in my opinion, id rather have 8310+ipod nano
    -------
    No, Outlook will never be needed. I'm a one-man show.
    haha i feel you apple mail is my tool of choice
    Last edited by ranxoren; 01-25-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Yes I hate rebooting.
    WMware does not require rebooting & is the fastest, most stable of all other choices. I know because I've tried them all.

~via BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast