Hey guys, Im so frustrated and hopefully you guys can help me out. I have ... Macs & MacBooks forum

enjoytheride no está en línea Stack level 2

My Pearl unable to USB sync with my powerbook

Advertisement

Hey guys,

Im so frustrated and hopefully you guys can help me out. I have the 8100 Pearl and i use a powerbook g4. I can connect my pearl to the computer so that i can swap files out of it and everything. But i cant seem to sync Pocketmac with my pearl. The usb connection is fine i beleive but it just wont sync. When i press the sync button all it says is synchronizing data on my computer screen, and it will do this for about an hour or so and nothing else will happen. The progress meter wont even move! When this is happening my 8100's screen looks perfectly normal, it doesnt say its connected with my computer or anything, it just looks like its not connected. But i know it is because i can see the 8100 harddrive on my desktop. If anyone can help me with this problem i will be eternally grateful. Thanks so much!

oswaldo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    208324D7

Re: My Pearl unable to USB sync with my powerbook

RIM doesn't like Mac users.

chi108 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have had no luck with this either, but for different reason.

Have you tried looking at the sync log? In the PocketMac SyncManager,
    under the Windows menu select Sync Log. Then press the sync button. If you see entries like this:

[06:14:43.927] Progress:ISyncClientConnectingPhase 1079574528
    [06:14:44.411] BlackBerry device pin [your pin number]

then you know it has connected properly to your device. if you don't see that last line, I have found it's because it hasn't yet figure out how to connect to your device. When this happens, I find that if I unplug the usb cable and plug it back in again, then all of a sudden it starts syncing and you'll see progress in the logs for calendar, contacts, etc.

With all of that said, my sync'ing always seems to miss some contacts and it can't sync any calendar or task items, either from iCal or from Entourage. So once you get past where you are now you may end up having other problems.

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: My Pearl unable to USB sync with my powerbook

chi108: Have you had any better luck synching with your Pearl these days? What about the new OS update...have you installed that? Let us know.

chi108 no está en línea Stack level 1

No I have not unfortunately. The PocketMac support people are ignoring me, although the RIM support team (help@blackberry.net) seem to want to help.

Yesterday I got a suggestion to first reset my device (by taking the battery out) and then completely removing PocketMac from my PC before installing it (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...74012&vernum=0)

That didn't work for me b/c i had no SyncServices folder under /Library and there were no Blackberry or PocketMac plugins under iSync. So I tried running the PocketMac un-installer and re-installing. The same crash happened after that. When I tried again, for the first time in the 5-6 years since I have owned my Mac the entire computer crashed. I didn't know that was possible on my Mac. Strange that such a small application can wreak such havoc on my computer.

I am going to keep trying as long as the blackberry team is responsive, but my friends say they have no problems sync'ing their Windows Mobile devices to their Mac's so if I can't figure it out in another week or so I'm going to take the Pearl back and trade it in.

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

Have you tried removing MicroSd, and seeing if both your machines, rebooted will sync successfully? maybe their is some sort of a tree used and the MicroSD is interfering w/ connection to BB internal memory? Just a thought...

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: My Pearl unable to USB sync with my powerbook

Quote Originally Posted by ajmctaggart
    Have you tried removing MicroSd, and seeing if both your machines, rebooted will sync successfully? maybe their is some sort of a tree used and the MicroSD is interfering w/ connection to BB internal memory? Just a thought...
    I, too have heard this is an issue for those with a Pearl that have been unable to connect and complete a sync.

babyLemon no está en línea Stack level 1

Hmmm... I have the same problem... However, when I look at the log, it actually says
    [time time] Progress:ISyncClientConnectingPhase 1079574528
    [time time] BlackBerry device pin 0
    <a few times of the last line>

PIN 0???

I am pretty sure I haven't got a pin with just 0 on it. Although, I do need to find out my own pin

Help?

kre8berry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me

This is interesting. I have used Pocketmac the whole time with my Pearl and have had no issues. I just choose the settings I want to sync and let it run. Even install software on my mac. What OS of MAC are you running?
    kre8berry

I am running the latest tiger (I'll get the exact number when I get home, am at work right now). I have an intel mac, and I don't have entourage (nor do I ever use it).

Btw, I am just wondering. Do you reckon it's got something to do with the blackberry OS? I just updated to 4.2.1.164 (the newest T-Mo Czech version). I did sync successfully before, when I was on the original OS that AT&T gave me. Do you reckon it's got something to do with it?

Hmmm... intrigued... and frustrated...