Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

For any Mac User out there that wants to make your own ringtones, It is ... Macs & MacBooks forum

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

Mac Users: How to Make your own Ringtones

Advertisement

For any Mac User out there that wants to make your own ringtones, It is so easy!

1. Get yourself a box.net webdav account (FREE) @ www.box.net

2. Use GarageBand (or whatever program you would like) to edit the song, just drag song from iTunes into the GarageBand GUI, get it down to 15 seconds or so (This is taking me some time to figure out, although my files are smaller than 3 MB, they still weren't taking, about 15 seconds is a good place to start experimenting, which is about half a MB.)

3. In GarageBand choose Share-->Send to iTunes, this will put the song into a Playlist, called GarageBand (check this in GarageBand prefs)

4. Right click on song, convert to MP3, then right click, show in Finder

5. Use the upload file option on your Box.net account (Dont try to use the image on your desktop, do this from your Browser)

6. You can access your songs on your box.net account via BB at m.box.net

7. Done, now you're hosting your own mp3 download site, as long as you've got garageband, or some other program, it's all FREE

Enjoy!!!
    ajm

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    wow this works great!!! thanks!
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

twalkhahvahd no está en línea Stack level 1

Mac ringtones...

Hey guys...

I am getting an error message when I try to access my songs on the box.net site. It says my browser won't support it. Do I need AvantGo?

You will need to access the site from m.box.net; Also, you will need to chop the song down to a small time (approx 15 secs, if this doesn't work, possibly 10?). Finally, make sure your songs are converted to MP3, and most importantly make sure you device supports the mp3 ringers. I am sorry about not having the files size down to a science, but as you can imagine, I just like the chorus of the song or a small snippet, and have not had any problems getting that to play. I highly recommend getting the song file down to about .5MB for maximum compatability.

Hope this helps.

toffa no está en línea Stack level 1

Question access

i got the file set up and uploaded to box, now how do i get it on my phone?

halfacat no está en línea Stack level 1
    very cool, now i just have to get off my lazy *** and start chopping up songs.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

brghtbear no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241495F9
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmctaggart
    For any Mac User out there that wants to make your own ringtones, It is so easy!

1. Get yourself a box.net webdav account (FREE) @ www.box.net

2. Use GarageBand (or whatever program you would like) to edit the song, just drag song from iTunes into the GarageBand GUI, get it down to 15 seconds or so (This is taking me some time to figure out, although my files are smaller than 3 MB, they still weren't taking, about 15 seconds is a good place to start experimenting, which is about half a MB.)

3. In GarageBand choose Share-->Send to iTunes, this will put the song into a Playlist, called GarageBand (check this in GarageBand prefs)

4. Right click on song, convert to MP3, then right click, show in Finder
    I started to do this then I got to Step 4. and I only had "Convert selection to ACC" as an option. Maybe I did something wrong?

But if you have a free program called Audacity and you also download the lame encoder you can do pretty much the same thing.

This is what I did. I followed your steps up to Step 3. Then I opened the file in Audacity and chose File ->Export -> MP3.

Now, I had to use two pieces of software for music that I had in iTunes that was already in the ACC format. For music that was in MP3 format or files that were .wav already I simply converted them in Audacity and then uploaded them to my sever and was able to dowload them to my bb 7130c.

I don't know if anyone else ran into this problem but here is a work around if you need it. (I use iTunes 7)

I uploaded some of the files I created to my site. You can access it via your bb: http://www.alflemming.com/locker/

AL
    PIN: 20448862
    Keep living!

brghtbear, thx for posting the workaround. I am not sure of the available formats the 8700 or Pearl will take, but it seems to me if right clicking gave you some other option other than MP3, maybe it was already in MP3??? AAC is not an option for me when right clicking on a song, not even when it is an MP3 file already. What format do you use to import as your standard? Also, i really meant for this to be for MP3's (songs), .wav format i thought was accepted already by blackberry. Again, this is new for me, so sorry if I'm wrong. Also, are you on a Mac or using iTunes on a PC? just curious so I can ammend this post for future reference...thanks again

PIN/ID
    241495F9
    ajmctaggart,

No apologies needed. It's all good. I use MAC. When I exported from GarageBand the file is exported as .aif. I may have missed a step now that I think of it... Let me see. No did not miss anything. Then once in iTunes I right click on the song (in the playlist that was created for me) and only have the option to make it ACC. Not a big deal just something I thought I would share.

I converted the .wav because, correct me if I am wrong, MP3 is smaller; more compressed. I am just happy to have other sounds besides midi or polyphonic. I hate midi. LOL!

Oh... the ACC format is .m4a. So, for me, the file exports from GarageBand as .aif and then I only have the option of converting to .m4a in iTunes.
    AL
    Keep living!

PIN/ID
    241495F9
    ajmctaggart,

I did some looking around in iTunes...

I figured out what was going on for me. I went to iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing. Once there I changed the option "Import Using" to MP3 Encoder. I also changed the "Setting" option to High Quality (192 kbps). The 192 thing is just a preference for me when converting mp3's if I have the option. When I closed the Preferences dialogue and then right clicked on the file I imported from GarageBand, I have the option to convert to MP3. Nice.

So either way I hope this helps if some else runs into the snag I did.

And thanks for posting your original instructions because I always thought that there might be a way to use GarageBand and iTunes to make MP3 ringtones just could not figure it out.
    AL
    Keep living!

Nice, I'm really glad you figured it out...good to know about 192 as an option, never messed w/ those settings...

I should really try to get this posted in the "helpful section" at the top of mac forum, it just seems like a really easy way for anybody, including myself- knows a little about everything lot about nothing, to get their own mp3 ringers...

ANY FUTURE READERS SHOULD NOTE THAT ITUNES MUST BE SET UP TO IMPORT IN MP3 FORMAT

ITUNES>PREFERENCES>ADVANCED>IMPORTING>IMPORT USING (MP3 ENCODER)

cheesenub no está en línea Stack level 1
    I did everything up to accessing the files on my Pearl through box.net, but I don't get any options to download the tunes. I ran into a couple issues.

Here are some small details for some of us who are new to BB's:

First, I found that you need to set up each tune to be public in order to access them on your Blackberry. Second, once you log in on your BB, you need to click on "Sharing", which will take you to a page that lists your files. Clicking on one of these file links will take you to another page that gives you two options: DOWNLOAD and PLAY

Now when I click on DOWNLOAD it says "The Requested Page can not be displayed". When I click PLAY it gives me a JavaScript message requesting a new URL be loaded. After you click "Yes" it goes to a page that says "[mplayer2: index]".

I'm not sure if there's a setting I'm missing on my BB that is preventing me from downloading and saving the mp3's or what.

Any help with this is appreciated. It sounds like some people have been successful with this, but I have not.

cheese,

Thanks for your information. What device are you using?

First off, you shouldn't need to make anything public, are you logging into m.box.net from your BB? That is essential as it is made for mobile devices, secondly, if the file is an mp3, down to about 1/2MB, there should be no problem clicking on file to download (Make sure the file is showing the ".mp3" extension).

For instance, I have a file that is 335.34k, I select it w/ my trackwheel, click "Get Link,"...it starts to download, and w/ my crappy TMo coverage, takes just over 1 minute, and will start to play.

The BB player has three buttons on screen: play, stop and the menu select, scroll to menu select select save and change the file name to something smaller and less psychotic than what they choose for you.

Also, make sure the path is /home/user/ringtones/

I am not sure why this wouldn't work, if these steps are already known to you. I am confident of the process, but I'm sure I have missed steps that some find unnecessary, while others who are new to BB may find essential to the learning curve, for that I apologize.

I want this to work for All Mac users since it is so easy...Ajm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast