View Poll Results: Are you a Mac User?

Voters
549. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Are you a Mac User?

529 96.36%
  • (Blank)

20 3.64%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by Ruminator I can go on, and on, and on... One of my ... Macs & MacBooks forum

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Mac Users?!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ruminator
    I can go on, and on, and on... One of my favorite things about OS X is the integrated spell-checking dictionary. It works with all of the Apple software and means I only have to add new words once. There's also a regular dictionary for looking up the meanings and synonyms of words.

If you have specific questions, PM, PIN, or email me and I'll be happy to answer.
    You have been so very helpful in answering my questions, I think I'll focus on the the macbook I saw the 13 machine looks real good, just got to get up the guts to spend the 1K+ to purchase it. But it looks like that's the way I'll be going, probably be making my purchase in July!

I'll take you up on the the specific questions and pin or email you. Again thanks a lot for your help!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Maybe we need a Mac Users Forum for all the Mac-BB users.

Ruminator no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d2215a

I think the Macbook will be an excellent machine. That's the one I have targeted for Wife. I think she'll find using the iLife apps much easier than the equivalent Windows apps.

I'm looking for the performance boost that will come from the Core-Duo CPU over my 1.25GHz G4. iPhoto is loading fairly slowly because I have a relatively large library of images.

If you're in school or associated with a school, you may be able to get a discount on Apple hardware and software. The discount isn't huge, but it's enough to make a dent in the price. Be sure to check that out.

Find an Apple store that's nearby and go play with a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. The iMac is a pretty neat machine too. I have my PowerBook G4 and a dual-CPU G5 at the office. The G5 is for heavy lifting.

I'd love a McUser-BB forum.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Ok guys. You guys ready to support a MAC forum as N8than suggests?

PIN/ID
    23d2215a

If you build it, they (we) will come...

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    Maybe we need a Mac Users Forum for all the Mac-BB users.
    LOL Hydn that was me who suggested the forum

I do have a couple questions which I couldn't seem to find anywhere lol I am in the same boat as dasupaman. I want to convert out of curiosity and several crashes in the past few days (2 of the many I have had with this notebook) but can't afford one until after I pay off this pc. I paid $2300 USD not including the POS external cd-dvd rom drive that won't load anything from a CD-DVD anymore LOL

1) Which one is suggested for a college student?
    2) Are there any models UNDER 1K in cost?
    3) Will there ever be a model coming out that will do everything for the BB? (installing apps, DM, etc)? I alreaady know about PocketMac.
    4) I have no desire to use the BB as a modem so I don't need to worry about that.

PIN/ID
    23d2215a

1) The MacBook is the one for a college student. You should be able to get an educational discount.

2) I would look at the MacBook. If you don't mind old technology, you might find an iBook G4 for less. Be aware of options, though. There are certain things you want.

3) The new Intel-based Macs will boot Windows (Boot Camp). There is software that will run Winders in an OS X window (on an Intel-based Mac), which argues for a MacBook.

For $2300 you could get close to a MacBook Pro. I priced one out with several options/upgrades and came out to about $2800 with the educational discount.

There's lots more to say, I think, but I'd need to know more about what you want to do. I do 90% of what I do on a 3-year-old 1.25GHz G4 PowerBook, including statistical analyses using the R framework.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I'd love to be able to synch my BB, be able to load cd/dvd roms (computer games), surf the web, college work, print letters, documents, etc. LOL I also need to be able to support 2 mp3 players. One for me and one for my dad.

My main reason for wanting a Mac is so I can have access to files, pics, etc that I receive in either email or on CD-ROM that are only compatible with a Mac.

I'm part of an organization that provides recreational activities for people with disabilities and I get emails and pictures from others who use Macs. I have to call them on the phone or email them back after getting the email or cd and complain about not being able to open them because they originated from a Mac. Or I have to search around for someone else who has the exact same stuff I need but from a Windows-based PC and send it to me that way.

I have searched all over the internet for software to make this connection possible and have not found anything so I am going to have to break down and buy a Mac.

Ruminator, in reply to your question about Parallel, can't you just use Boot Camp?
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-29-2006 at 12:27 AM.

PIN/ID
    23d2215a

I think that BB synchronization will get better. There are quite a few games that run under OS X, but I'm not a good person to talk games with -- I generally don't play many games.

Printer support seems to be pretty good. I use an Epson inkjet printer at home and a Brother laser at the office. Both were pretty easy to get running. I can even share a printer on a Windows network if it's properly installed on the network.

I like Safari, the OS X web browser. When I write on my weblog, the system spelling checker keeps me in line. I've trained it with a lot of the words specific to my discipline specialty.

I use Apple Mail for all my mail, including office email which is on an exchange server. Gmail is a no-brainer. I keep a .Mac account so my basic settings are archived off-site. I may ultimately decide to drop my gmail account and make my .Mac email account my personal email account. I have plenty of storage there for incoming email.

I use iCal to manage my schedule. It seems to be pretty well integrated with the BB through PocketMac. The tasks are not synchronizing properly though.

I use Apple AddressBook for my contact list. That seems to work reasonably well with the BB through PocketMac.

I've only found one thing I can't do with my Macs that I can with a Windows machine -- and that's some numerical modeling software that only runs under Windows. With the new Intel-based Macs and Parallel (the run-Winders-in-an-OS X-window software) I think that problem is solved.

If you're into writing a personal journal (I am), then MacJournal rocks. It's the best journaling software I've seen. Dan Schimpf is very responsive as a developer too.

Like I said, I can go on... If there's an Apple store near you (or a CompUSA that carries Apple), then go play with one. Find out who their McGuru is and ask him/her to show you around. Then be sure to check on the educational discount. If it's an Apple store they should be able to handle it there. If not, you should be able to order directly off the Apple website.

Most of all, go play, have fun... They're cool machines that run a cool OS.

Well, now I have more options to choose from. I registered for a student account thru apple.com and have the following options to go from:

A 12 inch iBook PowerPC G4 for $949 or a 14 inch iBook PowerPC G4 for $1199 (I have always wanted the iBook).

MacBooks range from $1,049 to $1,399 (all 13 in) and the MacBook Pros range from $1,799 (15.4 in) to $2,599 (17 in).

The price difference appears to be because of the GHz processors in each notebook (range is 1.33 GHz to 2.16 GHz CoreDuo). Anybody wanna help here? LOL I'm willing to save up money but I don't wanna go broke LOL

Here's the link http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We....19.1.0.8.25.3 If it doesn't work, just register for an account with your closest college campus.

Also, forgot to mention this but my home printer is a Brother MFC-210C all in one fax, copier, scanner, printer. I also see I can get their Office software package with the Mac. And I should have said will there ever be software (DM, App Loader, etc) that will work with a Mac? Not the way I originally stated my question LOL Sorry for the confusion)
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-29-2006 at 06:01 AM.

I have another reason to convert to a Mac now...OS stability. I am now getting an error that says the following whenever I try to open IE:

"Windows-Corrupt File
    The file or directory \WINDOWS\Prefetch\IEXPLORE.EXE-27122324.pf is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Man, how do I lose track of some of these posts, especially when I started the post?

Last time I looked there were only like 4 responses to this post. Sorry guys.

Yeah, that was the initial reason for the start of this post, to get an idea how many MAC users there were that used this site, and if it was justifiable to possibly start a MAC users forum, since there things that obviously vary on how to on a Mac Vs. a PC.

Thanks for the response everyone.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

BTW, I added the poll at the top so that MAC users could click that way I wouldnt have to go thru one by one and try and figure out how many actually responded. What I find funny is the 4 other people who chose "Blank". I am assuming they those 4 people are not mac users and just like voting in polls.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast