I currently have windows xp. I want a new computer but don't want to pay ... Macs & MacBooks forum

blazen2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2426EC63

liunix or leopard

Advertisement

I currently have windows xp. I want a new computer but don't want to pay for a mac. Which comps. Have the new liunix(wrong spelling maybe) or leopard. I do not want to have to upgrade or patch vista 100 times. So I'm staying away from vista.

warren2781 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    I have been a Linux user for years. I can't recommend leopard cause I have never used it. I recommend to you Ubuntu Linux, its a really good distro and its Newb friendly you can find help on their forums for almost everything. give it a try you wont loose anything cause its free...

Long live DEBIAN Linux...

mrmoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    That's kinda like asking if should have a banana or orange. They both are good and nutritious. It all depends on ones needs and applications. However, You can always run xp, linux & vista via vmware on os x.

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4
    i've been an windows user for years. i switched to ubuntu linux last october and really like it. A LOT. and, i use a mac full-time at work. i have experience with all three. ultimately, i'm getting an imac for home to replace my linux box. let me tell you why.

1) blackberry. the usb support on ubuntu is currently sub-par. i think this will change, but right now, not so good. (oh, pocket sync manager for mac takes some getting used to. a very different experience from desktop manager). currently, i have my system set up as an ubuntu/xp dual-boot so i can boot into windows to take care of my blackberry (and my logitech remote). (and my ipod. there's plenty of ipod support in linux. but i prefer itunes. i like the way it handles podcasts better than amarok or any other linux solution).
    2) general hardware support, especially graphics cards and printers. i had to use what's called the 'restricted drivers manager' to get my nvidia card to work. it does work, but there's no official support or drivers from nvidia. also, i had to buy a new printer (epson c88) to work with ubuntu for the same reasons.
    3) fit and finish. some of this may be related to a less than perfect video driver, or some flaws with compiz-fusion, but i feel like like the gui is just rough, unpolished, unfinished.

ultimately, xp has really become a stable, completely usable, widely supported os. (vista will get there. remember, people hated xp when it was released). linux is getting closer every day to being viable solution for a fulltime desktop. there's just some hardware support issues that need ironing out first. mac is like best of both worlds: a secure *nix based os, an outstanding gui and fairly huge hardware support. also, coming from windows, i think you'll find the transition to mac easier than the transition to linux.
    Last edited by shmengie; 03-21-2008 at 10:42 AM.
    2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
    - Grabel's Law

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    im trying to figure out the same thing at this point im thinking mac??????

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you have money for a Mac, go with Mac. Leopard is awesome and crazy fast. If your looking for cheap and reliable, go with Linux.
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
    -George Washington Carver

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    ive never heard of liunix before...lol just messing
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmoe View Post
    That's kinda like asking if should have a banana or orange. They both are good and nutritious. It all depends on ones needs and applications. However, You can always run xp, linux & vista via vmware on os x.
    Completely agree. I myself use unix and mac on a daily basis, and even though I agree that from the Linuxes, Ubuntu kicks butt and is almost there on replacing windows, I still prefer macs. Ones you learn how to use them (about 2-3 weeks), and I mean truly learn...you will never go back. They are that amazing. Although, again depending on what you need, Linux (specifically ubuntu) can be quite nice.