Hey guys, I tried the iPhone for 2 weeks, and decided to give it up. ... Macs & MacBooks forum

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

Just back from the iPhone- it's good to be home

Advertisement

Hey guys,

I tried the iPhone for 2 weeks, and decided to give it up. I just wanted to outline for you the truth of the iPhone (both Pros and Cons)

It should be noted that I'm picky, and the cost of the iPhone really didn't bother me, I wanted a phone that syncs PERFECTLY w/ my mac...If they ever, or when the ever, fix the profiles and email issue, I will go back more than likely

PLEASE NOTE, IF YOU ARE COMING FROM A MOTO RAZR OR EQUIVALENT, THE iPhone is probably the greatest thing ever, but for someone who has had a BB for 5 years, there is no comparison...

1) The syncing is freaking incredible! quick, perfect, beautiful, seamless...everything we've been aspiring too, imagine making a custom field in OS X addressbook.app and it actually being able to sync to your handheld- it was joyous

2) The actual phone feature was the greatest phone I've ever used, it was so nice, and crisp- EVERYONE made the remark of how much clearer I am than I am on my 8700, and I loved making calls, merging, 3 ways, putting calls on hold, it is a superb PHONE...

3) Very intuitive, like a BB's menus, things just make sense...

4) Safari and Google Maps makes the BB look like a joke, seriously

5) The iPod is alot of fun, and because of the new interface, makes it feel like you're walking through a music store rather than actually scanning the iPod

NOW THE CRAP THATS GOT ME BACK HERE (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER OR NUMBERED ARRAY)

There are no profiles, none, I dont want stupid work emails coming through on the weekend, Only one profile and Silent mode (which does contain the vibrate/dont vibrate option)

If your phone is off or on vibrate, your alarms dont sound, at all

No possible way to silence ringer for a contact, or group ~ already stated I know, but that was a major deal breaker, so I stated it twice

THERE IS NO PUSH EMAIL, Don't believe them, If it does work, I guarantee it will fail you at some point...I tried so many different setups, and it just didn't work...pop/smtp settings were also shotty at best...yahoo push is a joke, nothing more than imap with some shotty hack to "push" to iPhone...

You can't open anything but pdf, .doc, and some .xls, you will get pictures, but more than anything it's just annoying that there is no edit function available...

You cant clear a single contact from your recent calls, ALL call lists must be cleared at once, no way to pick and choose...HOWEVER

You can only pick and choose for sms or mail, only one delete at a time, no search features, no way to point out a group of emails by sender/subject that you want deleted...

Camera was fun, but you can only email one pic at a time!

You cannot search for contacts by first name, last name, there is a weird rolodex feature with tabs for the letter, and in settings you can specify whether those tabs indicate fist name or last name...however to text or email you can search pretty similarly to that of the BB...Why?

THERE IS MORE, But I am tired, the point is, Im buying a Curve next week, dropped the $ for Missing Sync, and my Girlfriend bought a Pearl, no more iPhone...

I think the iPhone is absolutely amazing, but something that scared me pretty badly was the fact that to reset the iphone its one click for settings one click for general, one click for reset and one swipe to erase EVERYTHING, maybe a passcode fixes this?...

Great for consumers, but people that love email and then the phone, this just wont do it for ya...

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Just back from the iPhone- it's good to be home

welcome back
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for a good honest post. I use an iPhone and I can't argue with a single point you mentioned. I'm sticking with the iPhone because the syncing is so important to me. Thanks again for non-BS post. I really do hope that RIM decides to support the Mac at some point. Right now, I'm very happy with the iPhone but I miss Telenav. The GPS app on the iPhone is not very good, but it is young.

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

Good to have you back.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Hubby's alarm sounds through the vibrate profile.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Glad to have you back. I took the same plunge when the iPhone first came out. I only kept it for 9 days.

Now, thinking about it, I actually miss the syncing and Safari. I am thinking of buying an iPod Touch and sticking with my BB and just use two devices.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

sashdelgado,

If his iPhone's side switch is set to silent, his alarms still works?

I couldn't get that to work, but maybe I was doing something wrong...

Anyways, I gave the iPhone to my Mom (her phone is already in my name), so I'll have to try it out again...

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer! One day it will be an alternative, but nowhere close yet...

kokogirl no está en línea Stack level 2

I got my Pearl earlier this year (before iphone came out). When iphone came out I wanted one SOOO bad. But I did not get it because I thought it was not worth the money. Then it dropped in price and I almost bought one. Now that I have been reading on here I am glad I did not get it. I think I would be disappointed. I would not like to drop a few hundred bucks on something that was not better than what I have now. Thanks for the post. Makes me think I made the right decision. Maybe I should just get myself a new laptop instead...

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Welcome back, we had a spot waiting for ya cause we knew you would be back all along
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

well if that's you Lavagirl, I'm glad the spot is still available

But really, I had to try the iPhone because I really did want it to work! But in the end, it left be missing stuff every day...

Something else I should have mentioned, Apple has built in a dictionary that learns while you type, and it does work. But there's no way to edit that dictionary. It is pretty easy to make a mistake with it and get words that dont exist setup in your dictionary...

BUT

The keyboard was a non-issue. It really does take 5 days to get used to it, but I was typing with my index finger as fast as I can on a BB. ( The only keyboard issue is keys aren't mapped out as they should be, common punctuation should be on the main keyboard, for instance.)

There's too many BB in my family anyway, there's just something about seeing that pin message pop up in red, that makes me feel special!

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Just back from the iPhone- it's good to be home

Quote Originally Posted by ajmctaggart
    There's too many BB in my family anyway, there's just something about seeing that pin message pop up in red, that makes me feel special!

Nice job on your "review". I haven't been back here in awhile, but still have a few friends that held fast to their Blackberries and I try to help them sort out their Mac/RIM issues.

I've had the iPhone since day one, and for me there is no going back as a Mac user. I cannot bear hearing about the next version of Pocketmac or Missing Sync that still does not work right. In addition to your accurate comments, all I can say is that I carry all my contacts (1500), my calendars (5), my bookmarks (300+), my photos (300+), my music (100+ albums), books (12), and movies (5) with me and the syncing is fluid and perfect each and every time. That is worth a lot to me and it is a better phone (quality of the calls) than either my 8700g or my Pearl ever was.

And ajmctaggart, you are right, for email composing I am faster than I was on my Blackberry...no question about it. Also, one last thing...I use .Mac and I have at least 50 mail folders for different projects that stay in perfect sync on my work computer, home computer, and my iPhone. When I move or delete an email on one, the other two stay in exact sync...it is like being on a true BES exchange server. This was never possible before with my Blackberry and PocketMac. Good luck to all whatever you choose.

wclyffe,

Were you a big user of profiles w/ your BB? If so, how are you dealing with the lack of customization on that area of the iPhone? I am just interested in that aspect, but I can't complain about the syncing, if the profiles were more customizable, I would certainly have dealt w/ shotty push support...

When I first came to this forum, you helped me a lot, whether you know that or not...sorry to see you leave but believe me, I COMPLETELY understand...

And nobody complain about price with the iPhone, after I spent $40 something on Missing Sync, and a new BB Curve will cost me about $179_$199 w/ 2 yr agreement, the extra $150 would mean nothing to me to have perfect syncing...I miss that so much...

There is just something about my berry, however, it's got me hooked...for now...

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

wclyffe,

Were you a big user of profiles w/ your BB? If so, how are you dealing with the lack of customization on that area of the iPhone? I am just interested in that aspect, but I can't complain about the syncing, if the profiles were more customizable, I would certainly have dealt w/ shotty push support...

When I first came to this forum, you helped me a lot, whether you know that or not...sorry to see you leave but believe me, I COMPLETELY understand...

And nobody complain about price with the iPhone, after I spent $40 something on Missing Sync, and a new BB Curve will cost me about $179_$199 w/ 2 yr agreement, the extra $150 would mean nothing to me to have perfect syncing...I miss that so much...

There is just something about my berry, however, it's got me hooked...for now...
    ajmctaggart,

No, not really....I had a couple of profiles, but mostly just used the standard setup the way the Blackberry came from the factory. On the iPhone, I find it so much faster to flip the silent switch to accomplish the same thing for my use which was to turn it off during a meeting.

And as for the "push email", there is really no issue for me. I have it set to get email every 15 minutes, but truth be told the phone is in my hand for one reason or another (ipod, internet, phone calls) so I see my email much more often than that anyway. I also found that the delay on the BIS (T-Mobile) was at least 10 minutes sometimes anyway, and I am hooked on the complete and perfect email synchronization at home, office, and iPhone through .Mac. (I've never tried Yahoo).

All said and done, one of my favorite things about this phone is that they are updating it all the time. When service providers sell phones the development and improvements come at a snails pace. It's a whole new world with Apple in charge of the iPhone's future changes. Just yesterday, they released the 3rd software update that doubled my volume, added iTunes so you buy music right on the phone, and about a dozen other very smart adjustments. This after less than 3 months. Yeah, I'm hooked...ready to buy iPhone2! Glad I could have helped you in the past, and like I said, I check in here occasionally to help my friends solve their Mac/Rim issues so we'll stay in touch as it all moves forward. Did you really miss that trackball after using the iPhone.. ? Best regards, wclyffe
    Last edited by wclyffe; 09-29-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Well Im checking out that update on someone's iPhone so we'll see if it is getting better...

You're right on about updates, didn't really think of it that way before...

Oh and I still am rockin' my 8700 (T Mo)- I like the wheel more than the ball
    -no I'd say the iPHone is better than wheel or ball...

-ajmctaggart

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Well Im checking out that update on someone's iPhone so we'll see if it is getting better...

You're right on about updates, didn't really think of it that way before...

Oh and I still am rockin' my 8700 (T Mo)- I like the wheel more than the ball
    -no I'd say the iPHone is better than wheel or ball...

-ajmctaggart
    Yeah, I liked the wheel more, too....could never get use to the trackball after so many years with great speed on the wheel!