Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I've always wanted a MacBook. And I am thinking of getting the 13" MacBook Pro ... Macs & MacBooks forum

myblackberyiscool no está en línea Stack level 3

Is MacBook worth it?

Advertisement

I've always wanted a MacBook.

And I am thinking of getting the 13" MacBook Pro

BUT..Should I wait til June / July til they release the new line up for MacBooks?

What are your thoughts/ideas/comments about this ?
    This is a rumor I heard , that Apple is to re-make there line of MacBooks.

Cloroxbleach4 no está en línea Stack level 2
    They just updated the macbooks, go ahead and get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloroxbleach4 View Post
    They just updated the macbooks, go ahead and get one.

When you say "they just updated the Macbooks, go ahead and get one" do you mean they just updated them not to long ago?

I just chatted with a Apple Expert and they told me this :

MacBook 13" new one was released May 2010
    The MacBook Pro was released April 2010
    The MacBook Air was released May 2009
    iMac - she wouldn't tell me

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I would say it depends what you want to use it for. If you are a professional photographer, or do a lot of desktop publishing, then yes it is probably worth paying the extra. If you have money burning a whole in your pocket and you like people to think you are running with the incrowd and Apple fanboys again I would say yes.

However if you are looking for a personal computer with lots of software options, games etc, then save your money and get a PC. I have read a number of professional photographers recommend spending the money saved going the PC route on additional lenses

In the end it is a matter of personal prefference, my daughter a student considered getting a macbook but after we looked at the price and specs she went with a Dell that had a faster processor, more memory, larger disk, in a color she liked, running Windows 7 and was half the price, a major consideration for a student. After 6 months she is still happy with her choice

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    I would say it depends what you want to use it for. If you are a professional photographer, or do a lot of desktop publishing, then yes it is probably worth paying the extra. If you have money burning a whole in your pocket and you like people to think you are running with the incrowd and Apple fanboys again I would say yes.

However if you are looking for a personal computer with lots of software options, games etc, then save your money and get a PC. I have read a number of professional photographers recommend spending the money saved going the PC route on additional lenses

In the end it is a matter of personal prefference, my daughter a student considered getting a macbook but after we looked at the price and specs she went with a Dell that had a faster processor, more memory, larger disk, in a color she liked, running Windows 7 and was half the price, a major consideration for a student. After 6 months she is still happy with her choice
    Yeah, people do say PC's cost less than a Macbook.
    But I've always wanted one.
    If I were to get Macbook ,

I would use it for the internet, and iTunes, and play Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas Multiplayer.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    On the plus side they are very solidly made, have a good operating system and could certainly cope with what you want to do. You may need to buy new Mac compatible software if you have been using a PC. Other than that if you have always wanted one and can afford it then treat yourself

The next step would be chosing the ideal model that would fit your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    On the plus side they are very solidly made, have a good operating system and could certainly cope with what you want to do. You may need to buy new Mac compatible software if you have been using a PC. Other than that if you have always wanted one and can afford it then treat yourself

The next step would be chosing the ideal model that would fit your requirements.
    I feel like Apple is getting ready to release another computer update meaning there about to release a new line of computers.

When the first iPod Touch came out, I got me a 16gb and then one week later, Apple comes out with a new iPod Touch (2G) (the slim ipods)
    But that ipod got stolen, so I bought me a 3rd Gen 64 GB iPod Touch

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Apple just released new versions of their product. There will not be any new items released other than the iPhone in a week or two.

They are however having the Back to School Promotion where you can get a FREE iPod Touch or other device if you make a purchase.

Link

Back to your original Question tho. If you would like a new Laptop that will be low maintenance, free of malware, viruses etc then the MB or MBP will be a great device. It's hard to explain till you use one for a few weeks. It's simple to use and OS X works great.

Since Steam released a Mac client now it's even a great gaming machine.

Yes, I only own Mac's b/c I finally grew tired on Driver issues, DLL errors, Viruses, Malware and popups and all the nagging issues associated with Windows.
    Now when I set down to use the computer I actually get to use it rather than address all the pop up windows, reminders and things telling me I need to do something it turns out I did not need to do. Sigh.........

One last thought? Take any MB or MBP and set it next to it's equal Windows Latop (Dell or any other vendor) and you will see why the Apple Laptop is a premium device. The unibody design is second to NOTHING.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I forgot, the iMac was also just updated (Feb, March) and now there is a core i5 and i7 available along with the 27 inch screen size. It's up from the 24 inch previous model.

Apple's release cycles are consistent and for the most part you can count on them. The Air however is due up and I'm not sure what to expect with that model. I don't recommend purchasing a MacBook Air. I think it has heat issues and it's limited in many other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I forgot, the iMac was also just updated (Feb, March) and now there is a core i5 and i7 available along with the 27 inch screen size. It's up from the 24 inch previous model.

Apple's release cycles are consistent and for the most part you can count on them. The Air however is due up and I'm not sure what to expect with that model. I don't recommend purchasing a MacBook Air. I think it has heat issues and it's limited in many other ways.
    Macbook Air doesn't even have a DVD/CD drive on it! You have to buy it separate

!

PIN/ID
    Retired
    That's one reason I don't recommend buying it. It's a nitch type laptop and you really need to be specific with your needs before that one would be appealing. In addition to that the MB or MBP still has so much more to offer.

Food 4 thought tho with your DVD idea. I can't even remember the last time I used one?
    I guess I use my DVD/Cd when copying DVD's or ripping to my HD but other than that they are sort of a dying thing like Floppy's.
    Don't get me wrong they will remain for a long time still but most people will tell you they certainly don't use it as much anymore like the "old days" (5 years back).

It's just so easy to get what u need in a more efficient way than the traditional DVD/Cd.

That's one reason I don't recommend buying it. It's a nitch type laptop and you really need to be specific with your needs before that one would be appealing. In addition to that the MB or MBP still has so much more to offer.

Food 4 thought tho with your DVD idea. I can't even remember the last time I used one?
    I guess I use my DVD/Cd when copying DVD's or ripping to my HD but other than that they are sort of a dying thing like Floppy's.
    Don't get me wrong they will remain for a long time still but most people will tell you they certainly don't use it as much anymore like the "old days" (5 years back).

It's just so easy to get what u need in a more efficient way than the traditional DVD/Cd.
    So are you trying to tell me Not to Buy a macbook pro or to buy one ?

PIN/ID
    Retired
    No, not at all. Buy one either one would be a great Laptop.
    The Air is what I was steering you away from.
    The Air is due for an update.

The current line of MB or MBP have never been better
    they are nice. You will love it.

No, not at all. Buy one either one would be a great Laptop.
    The Air is what I was steering you away from.
    The Air is due for an update.

The current line of MB or MBP have never been better
    they are nice. You will love it.
    I came across these laptops ......

Look just like a Macbook Pro!
    Cost the same as a Macbook Pro also.
    Last edited by myblackberyiscool; 05-26-2010 at 12:17 AM.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    They look nice but there is only one delima. They are not a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Set the two next to each other then even use each one and you will see they are not even close. Pictures do not tell the real user experience. There is only one unibody and it's used to make the MacBook. One solid piece of metal cut out to fit perfect. Thin and strong with the best battery life of any laptop.

Laptop battery life is important and being unplugged for 10 hours is a great benefit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast