Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Iphone Put Through 10-week Endurance Test

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    Three weeks and no problems so far. EDGE is slow but it is adequate for me since the only time I'm not on a WiFi is when I am driving to work.
    jwlussow, same here. I am on some Wi-Fi network or another most of the time. Using Safari on Wi-Fi with multi-touch is blazingly fast and fun! I came back here to check in on my Mac friends and tell you that for all the future items that will be added/enhanced on the iPhone, it is still the best mobile phone I have ever used right now. There is a great "No BS" review of the iPhone on Gizmodo so check it out as its a very balanced article by Jason Chen.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/no-...iew-276116.php

And for all that think you cannot learn to type as fast as on a Blackberry..think again. I am this fast or faster now that my iPhone has learned my vocabulary.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/peo...res-274135.php

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Re: Iphone Put Through 10-week Endurance Test

Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe
    jwlussow, same here. I am on some Wi-Fi network or another most of the time. Using Safari on Wi-Fi with multi-touch is blazingly fast and fun! I came back here to check in on my Mac friends and tell you that for all the future items that will be added/enhanced on the iPhone, it is still the best mobile phone I have ever used right now. There is a great "No BS" review of the iPhone on Gizmodo so check it out as its a very balanced article by Jason Chen.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/no-...iew-276116.php

And for all that think you cannot learn to type as fast as on a Blackberry..think again. I am this fast or faster now that my iPhone has learned my vocabulary.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/peo...res-274135.php

Its a very balanced review, but he's telling people to wait to buy one..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Quote Originally Posted by hls811
    Its a very balanced review, but he's telling people to wait to buy one..
    Yes, he is saying to wait for a software update (v1.1) if you have to have certain items, but he loves the phone and states this in the review.

motogq no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F635E7

The iPhone sucks! Why don't all you suckers stop making stupid excuses for Apple. I love Apple & own a Powerbook myself but c'mon! So what, it's their first phone. It still can't do as much as most phones today. They had a long time for their R&D team to develope the same features as other phones. The only thing different about it is the gotta have it factor because of the display. That's it! To everyone who bought the first gen iPhone, just keep making up excuses so you sleep better at night knowing you spent $500-$600 & a 2 year contract with a phone that can't do sh!t. I'm gonna get one eventually but I'm just sorry to see so many people blinded by the eyecandy & hype to make a wise decision & wait.

PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Yes, he is saying to wait for a software update (v1.1) if you have to have certain items, but he loves the phone and states this in the review.
    • "But as the honeymoon sets, I find myself left with a phone that could be more functional."
    • "The real elephant in the room is the fact that I just spent $600 on my iPhone and it can't do some crucial functions that even $50 handsets can"
    • "I know these minor things don't sound like much to bitch over, but the negative sum of these granular functions bite into my satisfaction; I've come to miss the little things as I live with this superphone and realize its shortcomings in the practicality department. And while writers are covering these facts in a glancing manner, alongside the quirky QWERTY, lack of 3G, and weak email support, I feel like they are under emphasizing the flaws in light of the shock and awe of the phone's Wonders."
    • "But, ironically, a 10-day test reveals another thing the initial reviewers missed -- this thing is not Mac stable, it is maybe Windows mobile stable (although no where near as laggy, thankfully). Apps crash out a few times a week, especially in the uncontrolled web, using Safari."
    • "The majority of the web apps are pretty lame compared to apps like the native Google Maps and the simple but satisfying weather widget."

He doesn't say he loves it - he's very honestly critical of it, but also very clearly backs up his reasoning for holding onto it...
    • "Look at other handsets from Nokia, Helio, Palm, Sony Ericsson, LG and Samsung; or anything running the vomit-inducing Windows Mobile. What they generally have over the iPhone, all these critical but technically minor functions, the iPhone could theoretically fix with a patch or two. Meanwhile, those companies in turn will never be able to make as great a UI and platform as the iPhone has the potential to be."
    • "So I hold it on faith, based on a trust that Apple will do what's right for us, not just what's convenient. I wouldn't make the same bet with your dollars, however, which is why I have to tell you to wait for those updates to come before you buy."

And that makes alot of sense to me - but he doesn't LOVE the current version of it and is holding out hope that a version 1.1 will fix alot of the peeves he has with it. (But there's no guarantee....)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

He doesn't say he loves it - he's very honestly critical of it, but also very clearly backs up his reasoning for holding onto it...

Yes, he does say he loves it, and he says you might wait for v1.1 software updare...right here:

"Look, I'm not saying wait for version 2.0. You don't need new hardware to love the phone; version 1.1 should do it. Wait until Apple updates the software. That was a hard to write, since I'm thumbing through my own iPhone like a teenager with his first Playboy. This is what the phone of the future will look like, and Steve Jobs and Apple should be proud."

AND

And that makes alot of sense to me - but he doesn't LOVE the current version of it and is holding out hope that a version 1.1 will fix alot of the peeves he has with it. (But there's no guarantee....)
    Here's the bottom line, hls811 when he writes this below and he states these are "technically minor things". He goes on to gush over the UI and so on.

"So are you returning this thing? I should, but no. Don't look at me that way, let me explain. Look at other handsets from Nokia, Helio, Palm, Sony Ericsson, LG and Samsung; or anything running the vomit-inducing Windows Mobile. What they generally have over the iPhone, all these critical but technically minor functions, the iPhone could theoretically fix with a patch or two. Meanwhile, those companies in turn will never be able to make as great a UI and platform as the iPhone has the potential to be. Certainly we don't know what Apple has slated for updates, when those updates are coming, or if they'll ever come at all. (iPods and Macbooks aren't kitchen sink-ers and never will be.) So I hold it on faith, based on a trust that Apple will do what's right for us, not just what's convenient."

So here's the deal, hls811...you are not a buyer for the iPhone, but millions of people are. I respect that, and I'm glad that you enjoy using your PEARL.

PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

[QUOTE=wclyffe]Yes, he does say he loves it, and he says you might wait for v1.1 software updare...right here:

"Look, I'm not saying wait for version 2.0. You don't need new hardware to love the phone; version 1.1 should do it. Wait until Apple updates the software. That was a hard to write, since I'm thumbing through my own iPhone like a teenager with his first Playboy. This is what the phone of the future will look like, and Steve Jobs and Apple should be proud."

Right - he'll love version 1.1 - which isn't out now.. Version 1.0 - which IS out he does NOT love. He's holding onto it hoping for upgrades which make it worthy to keep.

I may not have an iPhone, but that doesn't mean I never will - in fact this review (which I read when it was first posted) was the one that made me decide NOT to get an iPhone for exactly the reasons he mentioned.. Maybe when 1.1 comes out I'll get one, but til then - and til I see the expected changes - I'm sticking w/ my pearl..

Don't take my criticism personally - but you gave up your BB which is just peachy but, I don't see the rationale in adding to the iPhone hype and posting messages on here talking about the Jesus Phone..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

[QUOTE=hls811]
    [B]Don't take my criticism personally - but you gave up your BB which is just peachy but, I don't see the rationale in adding to the iPhone hype and posting messages on here talking about the Jesus Phone..
    You "don't see the rationale".....It's a MAC area within a Blackberry forum. For all the Mac users that have, and continue to struggle with simple things like syncing their information over to their phone...it is a big deal. RIM SUPPORT OF MAC USERS IS HORRENDOUS.

Look, no harm no foul, but you make me laugh as you end by saying you might someday buy an iPhone. I would guess sooner than you are willing to admit.

Either way, here's a great read in USA TODAY from people that actually own iPhones....pretty staggering. Anyway, my initial reason for posting was to give the few people from here that emailed me some info as I bought the iPhone. Onward, and good luck to you....

http://yahoo.usatoday.com/tech/wirel...ne_N.htm?csp=1

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

The reason I switched was the lack of support from RIM for the Macintosh. I REALLY loved my 7100i. I've said all along that I hope that RIM makes my decision for my next phone more difficult. I would have no problem going back to a BB if it offered the same support and features of a future iPhone. That being said, the iPhone is a wonderful phone. I have never had a crash. I have just spent a weekend away from a charger and the phone went 55 hours with the WiFi on constatntly working, getting emails, making phone calls and still had battery life to spare. Most complaints about the iPhone come from people who have never actually seen or held one. That is a problem. I have NEVER badmouthed my BB but I am upset at the lack of support from RIM. The BB is a great phone but I don't miss anything from it right now except the ability to use Telenav. Being able to update and really sync contacts and calendars makes up for the GPS shortcoming. EDGE is slow but the iPhone seems as fast as my 7100i and the web rendering blows the BB away.

Like I said, when I need a new phone I would love to look at another BB. That is up to RIM. If they can give Mac the same support as Windows then I might have a tougher time making a decision. The iPhone has a few flaws but I believe some of them will be answered with software updates and others will be answered with new hardware. Either way, I am very satisfied with my purchase and I love the phone. I can't disagree with some of the "real" reviews but I can disagree with the reviews from people that haven't even held the phone in their own hands. The iPhone, just like the Blackberry are not for everyone. I probably wouldn't have switched in the first place if RIM supported the Mac.

PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

[QUOTE=wclyffe]

You "don't see the rationale".....It's a MAC area within a Blackberry forum. For all the Mac users that have, and continue to struggle with simple things like syncing their information over to their phone...it is a big deal. RIM SUPPORT OF MAC USERS IS HORRENDOUS.

Look, no harm no foul, but you make me laugh as you end by saying you might someday buy an iPhone. I would guess sooner than you are willing to admit.

Either way, here's a great read in USA TODAY from people that actually own iPhones....pretty staggering. Anyway, my initial reason for posting was to give the few people from here that emailed me some info as I bought the iPhone. Onward, and good luck to you....

http://yahoo.usatoday.com/tech/wirel...ne_N.htm?csp=1
    Ok - point taken with your reason for posting.. I had a rough morning.. but regardless... I'm one of the minority of Blackberry users that is quite content using PocketMac for everything and Parallels if I REALLY need to do something - I don't see RIM's support as being horrendous since they offer PocketMac for the basic syncing I need to do.. I also don't see iTunes as being the ideal catalyst for syncing a phone with my computer, but another irrelevant point..

As far as me switching to an iPhone sooner rather than later... No.. to be quite honest - aside from the issues and short comings, I'm not in a position to shell out $600 for a phone (and then have to pay for the service contact which my work currently pays for my BB). A few people I know have iPhones so I got to play w/ them - and yes - they are nice pieces of technology (of course, its Apple), but I still prefer the BB for now. In all honestly I'm more looking forward to a version 2.0 of the Pearl than I am version 1.1 of the iPhone.

I've said this all along - take the technology in the iPhone, remove the phone part and offer me an 80GB or bigger HD and thats an iPod I'd buy in a second.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

... I'm one of the minority of Blackberry users that is quite content using PocketMac for everything and Parallels if I REALLY need to do something ...

... but I still prefer the BB for now.

I've said this all along - take the technology in the iPhone, remove the phone part and offer me an 80GB or bigger HD and thats an iPod I'd buy in a second.
    I have a problem with Parallels lately. I formatted my macbook and did a re-install of OSX, applied all the updates etc. Now Parallels doesn't work like it used to. Before I formatted I had XP home and Vista both installed my my macbook via Parallels... now neither will install. After the disks do the actual install part and it reboots the Windows system that very first time I get the BSOD... every time I install. I've rebooted the Mac, I've downloaded newer versions of Parallels (and older ones I have on backup still) nothing works now

I still prefer the BB too just because I miss BBM.. that's the only thing.

As for an 80gb+ HD, well that might not be coming. Apple wants to go with flash memory, not HD's, and seems there is limitation to those for the moment.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Benoitm no está en línea Stack level 1

Message to Wclyffe,
    I'm a big Mac fan for my home but I must use a PC at work so I just bought a Blackberry 8830 World Edition this week. I joined this chatroom a few hours ago looking for a way to "attach" contacts to my tasks in my BB. I saw the posting you made in the past (2 years ago ?) with the same concern : most of my tasks are people I need to call that are in my address book. So when I create a task, I would like to attach a contact to each one of them. Did you ever find a solution or third party software, I've been browsing the web but nothing seems to exist.
    Thanks to anybody who can help...

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

Lack of proper task syncing is one of the reasons I (happily) switched to iPhone. I wouldn't have left my 7100i but I felt I had no choice. I sure hope that the task syncing problem is resolved soon but it's been this way for years and I don't see it changing soon. I'm sure that PocketMac and Missing Sync are working on it but nothing yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12