Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iPhone put through 10-week endurance test Dropped in water, on concrete, to test durability Anna ... Macs & MacBooks forum

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Iphone Put Through 10-week Endurance Test

Advertisement

iPhone put through 10-week endurance test
    Dropped in water, on concrete, to test durability

Anna Lagerkvist
    22 Jun 2007 09:28

For two months, some 200 technicians have been secretly testing the Apple iPhone ahead of its US launch next Friday.

The Apple iPhone is expected to sell out within 48 hours of its launch on 29 June. There is huge interest in Apple's forthcoming mobile phone/ music player/ web browsing device. And the company is taking all precautions to ensure the iPhone works as it should.

The iPhone has been put through a 10-week endurance test. It's been dropped onto a concrete floor, put in water and tested in a variety of different environments. It's been used for some 10,000 hours - 5,000 of which were talk time, and the rest data transfers, tester Balsu Thandu told NewsFactor.

In addition, 5GB of data usage has been logged on the test devices during the 10-week period. The iPhone has been tested twice as much as other mobile phones usually are ahead of launches, Thandu said. During the tests, the iPhone has been disguised using various covers, one resembling an Apple iPod . It has been tested in various urban environments, such as subways, lifts, staircases, offices, bars, restaurants, shopping centres and out on the street. It's also been secretly tested in Apple Stores and AT&T stores to make sure that reception is up to scratch. The toughest test was the 'pavement test', where the iPhone was dropped onto the street to get an indication of its durability.

Apparently, one of the details that was adjusted was related to the volume used. It was too low at first, Thandu said, but has been fixed. He added that the tests are now over, and the technicians have approved it as fit for sale.

According to AT&T, the Apple iPhone will completely sell out within 24 to 48 hours . After that, customers can order devices through AT&T stores for delivery between three and five days. All Apple Stores and AT&T stores will close 90 minutes ahead of the 6pm launch time on 29 June. They'll reopen with some 2,000 professional security personnel and specially trained sales staff to manage the crowds.
    Last edited by wclyffe; 06-22-2007 at 12:04 PM.

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Iphone Put Through 10-week Endurance Test

Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe
    iPhone put through 10-week endurance test
    Dropped in water, on concrete, to test durability

Anna Lagerkvist
    22 Jun 2007 09:28

For two months, some 200 technicians have been secretly testing the Apple iPhone ahead of its US launch next Friday.

The Apple iPhone is expected to sell out within 48 hours of its launch on 29 June. There is huge interest in Apple's forthcoming mobile phone/ music player/ web browsing device. And the company is taking all precautions to ensure the iPhone works as it should.

The iPhone has been put through a 10-week endurance test. It's been dropped onto a concrete floor, put in water and tested in a variety of different environments. It's been used for some 10,000 hours - 5,000 of which were talk time, and the rest data transfers, tester Balsu Thandu told NewsFactor.

In addition, 5GB of data usage has been logged on the test devices during the 10-week period. The iPhone has been tested twice as much as other mobile phones usually are ahead of launches, Thandu said. During the tests, the iPhone has been disguised using various covers, one resembling an Apple iPod . It has been tested in various urban environments, such as subways, lifts, staircases, offices, bars, restaurants, shopping centres and out on the street. It's also been secretly tested in Apple Stores and AT&T stores to make sure that reception is up to scratch. The toughest test was the 'pavement test', where the iPhone was dropped onto the street to get an indication of its durability.

Apparently, one of the details that was adjusted was related to the volume used. It was too low at first, Thandu said, but has been fixed. He added that the tests are now over, and the technicians have approved it as fit for sale.

According to AT&T, the Apple iPhone will completely sell out within 24 to 48 hours . After that, customers can order devices through AT&T stores for delivery between three and five days. All Apple Stores and AT&T stores will close 90 minutes ahead of the 6pm launch time on 29 June. They'll reopen with some 2,000 professional security personnel and specially trained sales staff to manage the crowds.
    I understand that this is how they came up with the new battery time numbers. While other carriers still use a computer program to estimate the battery life, Apple & AT&T got there numbers from real life. The computers that were originally used to determine the battery life were just wrong. Apple & AT&T were very happy with the real world performance of the phone and battery.

The local Apple store said that they will not actually close the doors to prepare but they will be unvailing some POP displays starting at 6:00 PM (Central) on the 29th.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Iphone Put Through 10-week Endurance Test

This is where the future is...get ready to jump! Google apps, and more!

Google CEO Demos Apple's iPhone, But Not On YouTube
    When Google CEO Eric Schmidt, a director of Apple, whipped out an Apple iPhone at this week's Google press day in Paris, the paparazzi began snapping away and quickly posted videos of the event on Google's YouTube. By Friday, however, the videos had disappeared replaced by a laconic "This video has been removed by the user."

The event triangulated three hot media subjects -- Google, Apple's iPhone, and YouTube -- and drew attention to the announcement this week that Google's delivery of YouTube videos on the iPhone is just a harbinger of cooperative things to come from the Google-Apple alliance.

"You should expect other announcements between the two companies over time," said Schmidt, according to media reports. "iPhone is a powerful new device and is going to be particularly good for the apps that Google is building."

"The YouTube announcement [for the iPhone] is an embodiment of Google's technology that is hardwired into the iPhone," said Stephen Arnold, author of a book on Google, in an interview. "There will be more of Googleplex to come in the iPhone." He said Web 2.0 technologies like Ajax heavily utilized by Google, and the technology fits easily into the iPhone.

Schmidt noted that Google Maps appears in the iPhone, which is due to be formally delivered next week. Apple's decision to forego orders until 6 p.m. next Friday has hyped the introduction of the device and helped create an almost hysterical demand and interest in the handset.

At the Paris event, Schmidt spoke of the coming importance of powerful mobile phones and indicated Google will focus much research and development attention on them.

Arnold, who is managing director of Arnold IT, believes the Google-Apple alliance will produce many more important features that will show up in the iPhone and Apple TV products.

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I am willing to bet that there is going to be huge probs. As a person who works for the biggest retailer I have come to learn there is nothing fully tested, especially when apple is involved. It took a full year before all the kinks in the nano's were worked out (at least with the retailer I work for). Apple has great ideas and really campaigns well but I have gotten a bad taste in my mouth and it will take a lot to change. I'm a don't tell me your great-show me your great type of guy! Only time will tell
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Check out the 20 minute video introducing the iPhone on Apple's site. Pretty impressive. Actually much more impressive than I thought it would be.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Here's the latest review from Walt Mossberg, the reviewer for the Wall Street Journal, who many said would unlikely give the iPhone a great review. Well, he did just that!

Mossberg, the Journal's chief technology columnist for more than 15 years, is widely regarded as the most influential judge of new gadgets, software and services, and his pronouncements can strongly affect how a product is received.

Mossberg said the absence of a physical keyboard, cited by critics as a potential weak spot that could dampen sales among power users who use handheld devices to write a lot of e-mail, turned out to be a "nonissue."

"The iPhone software "sets a new bar" for smart phones that add e-mail, Web access and personal organizer functions to a handset", Mossberg wrote.

Here's the whole article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062601939.html

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

im sure the phone itself works just fine as well as the data etc but nothing mentioned about the keyboard or lack of, which seems to be the general worry area on it.
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Quote Originally Posted by rabbie303
    im sure the phone itself works just fine as well as the data etc but nothing mentioned about the keyboard or lack of, which seems to be the general worry area on it.

Yes, he did...he said it was a "non-issue". He liked using the touchscreen keyboard after 5 days and was as fast as he normally was on his Treo.

You can listen to him here:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/f...s-trickle-out/

Its clear from most of the reviewers that the iPhone is no real competition for a serious Blackberry user, but instead someone that sends a few emails and wants all the other bells and whistles.
    Last edited by wclyffe; 06-27-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Mobiman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2071348F

iPhone sucks

Finally Confirmed: What the iPhone Doesn't Have

• Songs as Ringtones
    • Games
    • Any flash support
    • Instant Messaging
    • Picture messages (MMS)
    • Video recording
    • Voice recognition or voice dialing
    • Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP)
    • One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)

HarryMonk no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiman
    iPhone sucks

Finally Confirmed: What the iPhone Doesn't Have

• Songs as Ringtones
    • Games
    • Any flash support
    • Instant Messaging
    • Picture messages (MMS)
    • Video recording
    • Voice recognition or voice dialing
    • Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP)
    • One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)
    Okay, let's be realistic here Mobiman. How many of those boxes were ticked by the first BlackBerry? Hell, how many of those boxes were ticked by the last three handsets?

The iPhone is Apple's first handset in the cell phone market and they're bound to make errors. I love my BlackBerry and I love my Apple Macs, but I'd be the first to admit that not once in my life have I bought in to hardware that did everything I wanted first tme around.

The 8300 is the first BB I've owned which ticks most of those boxes, but it's not like it's the first handset BB ever made, nor does it have things like 3G or Wi-Fi. Hardly fair to slam Apple on the basis of one handset lauch.

StephOfOz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F6772D

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonk
    Okay, let's be realistic here Mobiman. How many of those boxes were ticked by the first BlackBerry? Hell, how many of those boxes were ticked by the last three handsets?

The iPhone is Apple's first handset in the cell phone market and they're bound to make errors. I love my BlackBerry and I love my Apple Macs, but I'd be the first to admit that not once in my life have I bought in to hardware that did everything I wanted first tme around.

The 8300 is the first BB I've owned which ticks most of those boxes, but it's not like it's the first handset BB ever made, nor does it have things like 3G or Wi-Fi. Hardly fair to slam Apple on the basis of one handset lauch.
    That's why I've been so sceptic so far. I want to see what improvements can be made. I've heard so much mixed about it. I hope it works out well, but the whole message on blackberrycool.com about how it's not compatible with XP makes me feel me more in love with my BB.

Quote Originally Posted by StephOfOz
    That's why I've been so sceptic so far. I want to see what improvements can be made. I've heard so much mixed about it. I hope it works out well, but the whole message on blackberrycool.com about how it's not compatible with XP makes me feel me more in love with my BB.
    The Apple store in Oak Brook, Illinois had an iPhone hooked up to XP and it seemed to work great. I'm not an XP guy but many other people there seemed to be very impressed. I got my iPhone last night. I tried 2 AT&T stores but they ran out before my turn in line. I called the Apple Store and they had plenty of phones so I went down and picked one up. The guy told me that he thought the store had already sold about 300 phones. That was only 4 hours into the sale. I love my BB but being able to sync with my Mac calendars and contacts and my company's Outlook calendars and contacts is worth whatever they ask. My BB NEVER was able to sync correctly.

alexantd no está en línea Stack level 1

My friend has an iphone and we were both trying to get on to facebook at the same time. It took me ten seconds, and he had to leave the room to get better reception

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Seems with all that testing they would have worked out all the contacts, calculator, clock, pictures crashes. Big link about iPhone 1.0 on Gizmodo.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Three weeks and no problems so far. EDGE is slow but it is adequate for me since the only time I'm not on a WiFi is when I am driving to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast