I just bought a new BlackBerry 8300 on the AT&T network and so far am ... Macs & MacBooks forum

aterkel no está en línea Stack level 1

Question installing BB Desktop Manager through Parallels

Advertisement

I just bought a new BlackBerry 8300 on the AT&T network and so far am pretty pleased with it. My only issue is of course the Mac sync options. I've got PocketMac to sync my address book and calendar pretty smoothly. I currently have Windows XP Pro running through Parallels and it seems to run pretty well. Desktop Manager installs fine, or so it seems. When I plug the phone into the computer the system tray bubbles pop up to tell me that my hardware is installed and ready to use, then I launch DM and it seems to connect okay, however I get a weird message telling me that it has to check the installed applications on the phone, a one-time check. The window seems active but it doesn't make any progress or change. I've left it alone for a while, but nothing happens. The BB shows up as "connected" on the DM window, but the application check window is over it and it won't let you select any other DM windows. Anyone else encountered such a thing? Is it a Parallels issue? A USB/Parallels issue? I have no clue since I'm brand new to BlackBerry and also to Parallels. Thanks for the help.

-AT

ikondave no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24218A7C

Re: installing BB Desktop Manager through Parallels

I am in a very similar position. In my case, I can't get Desktop Manager to detect my 8100 with any reliability. In fact, after I went to the trouble of performing a clean install on my MacBook and reinstalling all of the BB software, things got worse. Last night, I spent at least an hour talking with TMobile tech support. Once I mentioned that I was using Parrallels, I was put on hold for a couple of minutes. The tech fellow returnred to tell me that he had just spoken with a tech person at BB who said that BlackBerry does NOT support Parrallels. Period.

Frankly, I am about ready to give up on all of these Winows based smart phones and just get an iPhone. Once I started using PocketMac I discovered that it can't be used for system upgrades. Now I learn that Parallels is fundementally useless to my needs. The dollars I spent on it and a copy of Windows XP were a waste. Additionally, I HATE using Windows! What a horribly designed, needlessly cumbersome and error prone OS! I don't need or want a music playing, video watching cell phone, but I resent being told that this piece of software or that will make your BlackBerry Mac compatible when that isn't the entire truth. It's a shame that BlackBerry has never made a real Mac interface, but given it's primary client base and use, it's certainly easy to understand why they have focused their energy elsewhere.

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

There is no usb support for Parallels RELIABLY! That is, maybe some apps would work, but I know for a fact the DM rarely will...I have no idea why this is, and I'm definitely feeling your pain. I love my BB 8700, but the lack of support made me buy a Nokia E61i, but of course the isync release supports the E61, not the E61i. If anything gets hacked to sync around here, it'll be to sync my BB. Im not leaving one sync nightmare for a new Nokia sync Nightmare. So I sent it back...

The iPhone is an awesome device, but how would you feel walking into a meeting and grabbing your phone just to see a whole bunch of widgets on the main screen? I just don't feel its professional enough for the Biz environment.

But hell, if they weren't sold out the other day, I'd probably be at the iPhone forums right now...who knows...

ikondave no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24218A7C

Smile Re: installing BB Desktop Manager through Parallels

I like the whole "widget" image you conjure. Kind of like showing up at a business meeting with a Mickey Mouse lunch box. :-)

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

My 7100i has rows of icons on it, too. I just have to use the track wheel to select the icon rather than a finger. What's your point? Is there something wrong with my BB?

saeder no está en línea Stack level 2

There seems to be an issue with Parallels from what I've been able to garner from the sparse Parallels support site. I HIGHLY recommend taking a look at vmware fusion. It's still in beta so you can try it out for a bit, and let me tell you worked fine on my MacBook. I Installed Vista Business, loaded up Desktop Manager, connected my 8300 and viola! Seemed like magic after the headache parallels was giving me. Just remember it's beta, so it might not be as quick as Parallels but I didn't have any problems!